Grip rotation on the GF only with MCG grip?

Moderator: AdminGroup

1sascha

Grip rotation on the GF only with MCG grip?

Postby 1sascha » Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:05

I'm currently contemplating an upgrade to either the GF or the Virpil WarBRD later this year, and I'm a bit undecided.

One thing that came up is that I can't really tell how grip rotation works on the GF. The MCG's description explicitly mentions its 15 degree rotation capability, but I'm not sure its ergos would fit me (top row of buttons/hats look hard to access without having to shift my hand position - and I hated that fact about the TM WH/F-16 grips). So: Can either the KG-12 or the SCG be rotated on the GF base or would I need to use an extension for those ... or is it just downright impossible to rotate these two?

Thanks!

S.

fallout9

Re: Grip rotation on the GF only with MCG grip?

Postby fallout9 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 20:32

All GunFighter grips offer an offset mount (see pic); MCG grips always been like that, rest of the grips have been more recently updated and that includes new KG12 and SCG.
Now, just for my curiosity - if you're afraid you can't reach the top buttons on the MCG grip, why are you're thinking Virpil? There's no smaller than MCG grip in their lineup, maybe except of the their VFX or WarBRD grips. Here are some comp pics: 1, 2.

1sascha

Re: Grip rotation on the GF only with MCG grip?

Postby 1sascha » Mon Jun 27, 2022 21:15

Nice! Thanks for the info.

EDIT: And thanks for the pics... yeah if I had seen that side-shot of the SCG I probably would've gone for that one on the Evo - even though I'm a huge sucker for the KG-12's design/looks and ergos. :)

The WarBRD grip is precisely the one I'm looking at - since it's based on the F-4 Phantom grip and I know for a fact that this grip's ergos fit me perfectly (used to have a TM FCS Pro back in the 90s). I don't really like any of the modern grips that are out there... or rather their general design with pickle buttons mounted way up on the grip. Doesn't matter if it's the VKB MCG or the VPC Constellation Alpha or the TM WH/F-16 Cougar. I tried both the WH and F-16 Cougar (very similar grips anyway) and couldn't get to grips (ha, ha) with those highly placed pickle buttons.

I mostly fly WW2 stuff and absolutely want a conveniently placed thumb button for my cannon. Not a dual stage trigger or a side-button or a second trigger - just a simple button for my thumb. :)

Like the MS SW FF1 had (FF2 wasn't as perfect but also serviceable) or the F-4/Virpil WarBRD or indeed the KG-12. Call me weird, but one of the reasons why I ordered the KG-12 Evo instead of the SCG one was that I was pretty sure the KG-12's cannon button would "fit" me .. wasn't 100% sure about the SCG's button, but in retrospect I think it would've been fine.

I know it's silly to base my entire decision on the ergos of a grip (or indeed of one button), but since I figure that there won't be much of a difference between the Virpil and the VKB WRT feel, build quality or durability, it's as good a criterion as any in my book. Plus it's one of a grip's components that I really use a lot - on many of my previous sticks in the past, it would usually be my cannon-button that would give up the ghost first. Well, that and the POV-hat's 6oc switch, since TrackIR wasn't around yet and I would constantly use that switch to check my six... :D

S.

Return to “General discussions”