Re: VKB TECS: MODULARITY FULL AHEAD

Postby Warfare 7 » Sun Nov 13, 2022 17:25

Oh ... would love to finally put aside of my NXT a VKB throttle ^^ :twisted:

rtrski

Postby rtrski » Sun Nov 13, 2022 18:24

Oni Kaizen wrote:
vkb throttle.png

Ok ... Speculation time ... So. This means that the piece will have two "main" modules? I mean, not the GNX ones we already knew, but the actual throttle and the module below, were we can see the "connection"?

The module mounted in front (as in, front of the throttle, but furthest from the photographer) is pretty clearly the existing GNX SEM-V (Side Extension Module – Vertical), whether installed on the existing Multi-function Holder or a variation for the TECS is uncertain.

But that one in the back, while it shares a design similarity and the K-switches...it definitely appears unique compared to all 7 items visible at the VKB Controllers US website now. Appears a bit more square in aspect ratio (top face), and with no sloping edge in back (closest to the photographer).
RH VKB GF Mk III + Modern Combat Grip *ULTIMATE* (12/17 GFII , upgraded), _powered_ deploy!
LH VKB GF Mk III + Kosmosima Prem (02/19 GFII, upgraded), *lateral* mounted
Feet: Slaw Viper RX Pedals [Sorry, VKB, too gorgeous]

hiro29nov

Postby hiro29nov » Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:19

The TECS in the photo doesn't seem to have the lever next to the throttle that was in the previous images. Switches are also clearly present. This seems to mean that it is close to the finished product.

EnderR2

Postby EnderR2 » Mon Nov 14, 2022 13:32

That is a rotary actuated throttle, not the linear actuator they claimed was in development. This is not what was promised and for it to take this long, even with the current state of global affairs is disappointing. Now to see if pricing is as far off what they aimed for as the product. I stopped the video at 36 seconds, and there is clearly the capability of a twin engine control. I was looking forward to the different feel a linear actuator would exhibit, but will likely still end up buying one if the price is right to complement my other VKB items.

rtrski

Postby rtrski » Mon Nov 14, 2022 14:54

The last formal update -- first post in this very thread -- was that there would be arc quadrant first (with and without electronic detentes) then the linear rail. It is still coming according to everything they've said to date.

Kids these days....
RH VKB GF Mk III + Modern Combat Grip *ULTIMATE* (12/17 GFII , upgraded), _powered_ deploy!

EnderR2

Postby EnderR2 » Wed Nov 16, 2022 23:34

With two more years of development, I expected more. There are plenty of youtube videos of folks making an arc based throttle using a raspberry pi board and their 3d printer. There is nothing novel in producing the same thing everyone else has. VKB already has good buttons, good plastic molds, and a good machine shop. While I understand their plan is to release the arc version first, with the linear actuator version later; if you are going to minimize costs, then both would have the same button layout, same foot print, same case. How can you manage the layout without having the flagship model in a physical form. You have to know how much space you need to make the flagship work, then use economy of scale to maximize your profits across the line and attempt to stay within the speculated price point. Without a working model, you lose all the benefits. And for the ad, you do not need to demonstrate a working model, just a model that looks like it works as was done in the ad.

No, if I were to place a bet, it would be the linear actuator model is DOA, and the Arc is all we are going to get for at least 5 years. Time will tell how well this opinion ages.

Harley Quinn

Postby Harley Quinn » Thu Nov 17, 2022 13:27

Part of me wants to get excited that we may almost be there.

Part of me remembers having that feeling a few times in the last 59 months and subsequent disappointment.

I think this will probably be the last call for me. If the TECS is released in the next few months I'll be content.

If, however, I'm sitting here in 3 months time with no news, no release date, and another sense of disappointment over yet another teaser that failed to deliver I think I'll move on to a competitor.

As I would prefer an arc to rails, I at least won't have the secondary wait as well, so for now I'll give VKB the benefit of the doubt (again) and wait 1 more time.

rtrski

Postby rtrski » Thu Nov 17, 2022 14:52

EnderR2 wrote:With two more years of development, I expected more. There are plenty of youtube videos of folks making an arc based throttle using a raspberry pi board and their 3d printer. There is nothing novel in producing the same thing everyone else has. VKB already has good buttons, good plastic molds, and a good machine shop. While I understand their plan is to release the arc version first, with the linear actuator version later; if you are going to minimize costs, then both would have the same button layout, same foot print, same case. How can you manage the layout without having the flagship model in a physical form. You have to know how much space you need to make the flagship work, then use economy of scale to maximize your profits across the line and attempt to stay within the speculated price point. Without a working model, you lose all the benefits. And for the ad, you do not need to demonstrate a working model, just a model that looks like it works as was done in the ad.

No, if I were to place a bet, it would be the linear actuator model is DOA, and the Arc is all we are going to get for at least 5 years. Time will tell how well this opinion ages.

Emphasis added above. While I can't fault you for cynicism given the timeframe so far, I personally would be shocked if the arc and rail design were remotely "the same" beyond the actual grip parts and specific finger controls themselves. You need more room for a linear rail than a pivot.

Eventually we'll both see how well our suppositions pan out...

Kaalrabistu

Postby Kaalrabistu » Sun Nov 20, 2022 20:54

I hope you get your soul back.

Fermium257

Postby Fermium257 » Tue Nov 22, 2022 17:19

kissTheSky wrote:If I’m honest, it looked more like the GNX, than a high end throttle to me.

I LOVE my GF III with ultimate grip, but no way in h###, am I paying premium price for what they, fleetingly, showed in the video.

Yeah, I'm not too impressed with this. It looks like it's probably going to fit in with the NXT stuff, which is fine I guess if that's what someone wants. If this is the case, I wouldn't expect there being much metal. I thought it was going to be a bit more "premium" than this, to be honest.

EH, if they haven't announced a release date by new years, then I'm going with Winwing or Virpil. I.. WE have waited long enough. Going on 3 years now.

Fermium257

Postby Fermium257 » Tue Nov 22, 2022 17:29

EnderR2 wrote:No, if I were to place a bet, it would be the linear actuator model is DOA, and the Arc is all we are going to get for at least 5 years. Time will tell how well this opinion ages.

Yep. I have a sinking feeling that this whole thing is gonna go over like a fart in church. I've never seen such a lack of communication like this. Almost 3 years and we've gotten 2 or 3 RENDERINGS and a silly video of absolutely nothing.

Knightcrawler

Postby Knightcrawler » Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:55

I think most of you guys are being too negative. The video was a little strange, but they put a lot of production value into it. That makes me think they're close to a final product.

kissTheSky

Postby kissTheSky » Sat Nov 26, 2022 16:03

In their discord they’d wrote “not this year, but definitely within 1 year”

EnderR2

Postby EnderR2 » Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:57

kissTheSky wrote:In their discord they’d wrote “not this year, but definitely within 1 year”

Ahhh, the video now makes sense. Its the [same] old song and dance.... :lol:

Come on VKB. I see whats going on at Foxx Comm and it gives some insight to some of the difficulties in working in mainland China. Sadly, the hype behind this product predates these difficulties. Much like anyone else going through hard times. Either the hard times defines you, or you adapt and overcome in spite of the difficulties. You got a lot of people waiting to give you funding for this, but you need a product to fill this glaring hole in the line up.

tessierp

Postby tessierp » Wed Nov 30, 2022 21:44

So are these throttles still in development?

For a while I was debating if to give up and buy the "Gladiator NXT EVO Omni Throttle" however the problem with that throttle is you would have to keep on pushing forward to move ahead. I understand this was made for space sims however I can't imagine myself for an extend period of time to have to put pressure forward, it would be very tiring. Unless someone tells me I'm wrong and I can configure the OMNI to not "slide back", hence, this is why I am considering the TECS throttle over the OMNI throttle.

Now I agree the TECS Throttle system comes with one limitation for space sims, you lose 4 axis and you are left with two, moving forward or backward (granted if the TECS unit can be configured in a way that the middle section of the throttle is OFF). But then again, I am not worried more Throttle units I've seen include HAT controls where I could configure the other 4 missing AXIS. Granted, it would not be as a smooth experience as an OMNI stick.

The other advantage of the TECS is that I can also use it for Plane Simulators where the OMNI would make no sense.

Return to “Official announcements”