Gladiator MK 11 connection to T-Rudder

Moderator: AdminGroup

Rich330

Gladiator MK 11 connection to T-Rudder

Postby Rich330 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:55

I have been using the Gladiator for around a year now with no problems. I just received the T-Rudder today and connected them with the supplied RJ45 cable then plugged the usb from the Gladiator directly into the computer. The rudder does not show in XPlane settings. I have tried just plugging in the T-Rudder through the black box and it now shows in settings but cannot connect them at the same time. In the Gladiator manual it says that by connecting the two devices together the computer will see this as one.

I am using an Apple Mac running Mojave with XPlane 11.

I would be very grateful for any thoughts.

Thanks

Richard

fallout9

Re: Gladiator MK 11 connection to T-Rudder

Postby fallout9 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:00

You'll have to recalibrate the joystick with rudders included if you combine them.

Rich330

Postby Rich330 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 18:29

Hi

Thanks for your advice.

I restarted the computer with the two devices connected together and opened Settings in X- Plane. I created a new profile and started calibration, roll, pitch and throttle worked fine, I set the yaw function normally controlled by the stick twisting to None because I assumed that the T-Rudder would require this function. I scrolled down to axis 6 and noticed that there was a slight movement from the blue bar when pressing the pedals. I had expected the blue bar to start in the middle and if you press the right pedal the bar would go to the right and the left pedal would send the bar to the left.

I have attached screen grab of settings and you can see the blue bar from middle to right. If you press the pedals the bar moves a little but always returns to the same point.

Am I missing something or could be an issue with with either the Gladiator or the T-Rudder?

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 21:12

Before getting into any game you have to calibrate your joystick. In your case pitch, roll, yaw, rudder pedals and mini-throttle. Only after this you could try assigning and calibrate them in X-Plane.
The standard calibration is like this: https://youtu.be/Xw91bRNsrPs. You'll have to skip the ministick calibration as there's no ministick on your grip, but you'll have to include the rudders in the calibration.

Rich330

Postby Rich330 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 21:47

Thanks again

I am using an Apple Mac and cannot find software to calibrate. I think the only way to calibrate is in X Plane

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 23:41

There's no software to calibrate VKB devices on Mac unfortunately. Hopefully you'll find another solution, like using a friend's Windows computer or using a virtual machine on your computer.
If you really can't find a Windows computer around you then you could try the cold calibration: plug the joystick into computer, then press simultaneously both Flaps buttons AND the Eject button. If everything went fine the 2 LEDs on the base will start blinking slowly, meaning the joystick is in calibration mode: move slowly, a few times, all the axes end-to-end: pitch, roll, twist, rudders, mini-throttle. When done pull the trigger. If everything went fine then the joystick should restart and show a steady light on the base; if something went wrong during calibration the LEDs on the base will be flickering very fast.
Good luck.

Rich330

Postby Rich330 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 18:48

Hi

Thanks, great solution.

Your advice worked, I was able to connect the joystick and pedals to a PC computer, I updated the firmware then calibrated them. I reattached them to my Mac and all I had to do was reassign the functions pitch, roll etc.

I think VKB should add a short note in the packaging for Mac users with your solution. If you buy the Gladiator on it's own you just plug in and use. When you add something like the T-Rudder to the the Gladiator this is where Mac users may have a problem.

Thanks again for your help.

Richard

Return to “Manuals and Howtos”