Make MCG Pro Grip Button a "shift" or "Mode" button?

Moderator: AdminGroup

Grifter-RLG

Make MCG Pro Grip Button a "shift" or "Mode" button?

Postby Grifter-RLG » Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:10

Hi,

I'm reading through the manual and trying to make use of my ringfinger or "grip" button on my MCG Pro. I thought it would be cool to make it a "mode" button.

So normally when I press button 18, it presses take off trim button in the cockpit. I programmed this button directly in DCS adjust controls menu. However, I would like to press button 8, and it will act as a mode shift for all the other buttons on the stick. I got the idea from here.. Seems like it's possible. I would like to press it once and be in the second mode, and then press it again to return to normal functionality. What's this called in the manual?

Once I'm in this second mode. When I press, say, button 18 it would be bound to a keystroke like R.Shift-H.

I've tried setting up a shift and buttonX but I don't seem to be making any progress.

If anyone happens to know how to do this, that'd be great! Thanks.

Victorus

Re: Make MCG Pro Grip Button a "shift" or "Mode" button?

Postby Victorus » Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:19

Grifter-RLG wrote:Hi,
So normally when I press button 18, it presses take off trim button in the cockpit. I programmed this button directly in DCS adjust controls menu. However, I would like to press button 8, and it will act as a mode shift for all the other buttons on the stick.
I would like to press it once and be in the second mode, and then press it again to return to normal functionality. What's this called in the manual?

It's called Alternate — with holding, analog to CapsLock modifier, (https://yadi.sk/i/emoZcmpw7Kyo9w), section 4.3.5., Fig. 4.11.

Grifter-RLG wrote:Once I'm in this second mode. When I press, say, button 18 it would be bound to a keystroke like R.Shift-H.

Press line #18, "uncheck Automapping. BUT1 counter will be enabled. Set desired output number" (section 4.3.1.). !!!Select second number out of used physical buttons lines.
Map second (logical) line to keystroke.
"Keyboard item allows to map button to keystroke. Quick logical layer wizard di
alog for this function is shown on Fig. 5.8." (5.4.1).
Do not forget to enable kbd mapping and select virtual kbd mode (classic). Common tab.

Grifter-RLG wrote:I've tried setting up a shift and buttonX but I don't seem to be making any progress.

Do not use ButtonX or ButtonS. Those modes for subshifts only.
Руководство пользователя по контроллерам VKB (VKB controllers User Guide) Ru&En
https://disk.yandex.ru/d/LlqiYtIrIetBOQ

Grifter-RLG

Postby Grifter-RLG » Mon Jun 22, 2020 17:21

Hi Victorus,

Alternating! I thought so but wasn't sure I completely understood what it was doing. Your procedure write-up worked for alternating back and forth between using input 5 (center physical button on lower-middle hat switch) as button 18 and keystroke R. Shift-H. However, the procedure does not seem to make input 8 a universal second mode. When I go to program input 1, reg#1, line#1 the same way, any new keystroke binds I program in Shift 1 result in changing the keybinds for input 5 as well. I wanted to be able to press input 8 (the grip button) and then assign new, different keystroke binds to other buttons on the stick. Is this possible?
Here's what I've done so far.

Set input 8 as Shift 1, Alternate:
Input 8 Shift.jpg

Set input 5 as follows:
Input 5.jpg

Do I have the wrong procedure for what I'm trying accomplish? Or is it simply impossible?

Thanks,

Grifter-RLG

Victorus

Postby Victorus » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:30

Please show screenshots of button binding that does not work.
And. Make diagram - what do you want.
Example

map.jpg

It will be easier to understand what do we want.

Grifter-RLG

Postby Grifter-RLG » Tue Jun 23, 2020 18:03

Hi Victorus,

My diagram spells out what I'm trying to achieve, a second mode in which I can program all the buttons on the stick with different keyboard binding. The problem I'm having is displayed in the short video I've linked.

Video

Diagram:
diagram.jpg

Ron61

Postby Ron61 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 19:02

Your mistake in assigning to the 8 button all the other combinations. And she is busy with Shift. You need to choose not used in the layout (after the 32nd) and everything will work out. Video.

Grifter-RLG

Postby Grifter-RLG » Tue Jun 23, 2020 22:21

Eureka! Now that is awesome! Really opens up the possibilities for me with the Configurator! Thanks so much Victorus and Ron61. :D

Victorus

Postby Victorus » Tue Jun 23, 2020 23:17

Look at my screenshots.
Shift alt.
ShiftAlt.jpg

Phys. line #5 to logical (seen by system and game) #18.
5_to_18.jpg

Phys. line #5 to RShirt+h (with shift).
5_to_Sh+h.jpg

Phys. line #1 to logical #14 and (with shift) RCtrl+RShift+h.
1_to 14_Ctr+Sh+h.jpg

Phys. line #2 to logical #16 and (with shift) RAlt+RShift+h.
2-to16_Alt+Sh+h.jpg

TRY!!!

Grifter-RLG

Postby Grifter-RLG » Wed Jun 24, 2020 18:11

Hi Victorus,

Yes, Ron61 shows this same procedure in his video. I appreciate you posting screenshots because I don't know if Ron61 will leave the video up. I'm bookmarking this thread in case I ever need to refer to it again. Thanks so much! The procedure works and really opens up the possibilities. :D

Return to “Technical Support”