MultiDevice NG Firmware - KG12 not being correctly recognized

Moderator: AdminGroup

VirusAM

MultiDevice NG Firmware - KG12 not being correctly recognized

Postby VirusAM » Sat May 23, 2020 13:18

Good morning
I think is best to open a dedicated thread for this as the one in which ron and fallout were trying to help me were for others means.
As already reported in these two threads viewtopic.php?f=25&t=4280 and viewtopic.php?f=25&t=4174 i have issues with the NG firmware and the KG12 grip.

I have 3 grips from VKB (MCG Pro, KG12 and F14) and a gunfighter Mk3 base.
In order to don't flash a firmware on the blackbox every time I (we) need to change grip the NG firmware can be used which has a Multidevice firmware which should recognize directly the grip when you exchange (so you just need to park or unplug the device and load the profile for the grip and no to flash a new firmware)..very clever move from the developers. Unfortunately it is in beta and for me with the Kg12 grip it does not work.
I have no issues in switching from MCG Pro to F14 grip and backwards but the KG12 grip will not be recognized.
I also made a video for showing the issue https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzgjVfhm2fA

After some time fallout was able to have the same issue as me

fallout9 wrote:Update - playing with changing from Gladiator stick to KG12 and back, Setting and Restarting brought me to the same situation - KG12 grip installed, but recognized as Modern Combat. Trying to set up the Gladiator/KG12 stick, after pressing Set the software takes double time to restart and gets back to Modern Combat. Software issue could be an explanation, not unexpected considering is in beta.
I suggest to wait for Ron's input.

And also user Zappovitz which has 2 grips has the same......................

Zappovitz wrote:When I switch between grips .. it always appears as MCG in windows or DCS ... is this correct and is it the plan to make it appear as two different sticks ...

I have tried to find a good thread regarding multidevice ... but no luck .. can you point me in the right direction.

Now when you flash the multidevice firmware, there are many changes in the default settings, so be aware that you need to change that to make that working as intended (for example with the MCG Pro you need to set the POV number to 2).
In particular in the profile there are these devices by default (you can see gladiator is there but not kg12)...I still don't understand if this is normal and intended or we need to change manually to KG12 grip (i tried both...more on this later)
Anyway if you leave this way:
Capture_glad.PNG

The kg12 grip won't work at all. And no buttons will be recognized..
also the grip won't be seen in anyway
But if you change to KG12 and set...it will be seen
And the buttons will be detected (but with a layout deriving from the MCG Pro profile so not correct) and the device name will still be VKB Gunfighter Modern Combat Pro...while it should be VKB gunfigher vintage, and the profile is still the number 1 (should be number 3)

Capture.PNG

Instead using the F14 grip it will be recognized correctly as Vkb Gunfigher F14 with his own profile (number 4) independent from the MCG Pro one (first).

f14_profile.png

Now i guess that this is due to the fact that is beta firmware/software...but I hope the developers could be contacted on this because maybe I (we) are doing something wrong.

So please........Ron or anyone....Some words on this?

Thanks

fallout9

Re: MultiDevice NG Firmware - KG12 not being correctly recognized

Postby fallout9 » Sun May 24, 2020 8:18

On the External Devices panel pull down the menu under Devices and select Generic device instead of KG12 or Gladiator. Put 3 instead of 2 under AdrL and hit Set.

Ron61

Postby Ron61 » Sun May 24, 2020 12:47

Sorry, but there will be many letters :).

First of all, I would like to clarify that multi is made so that when changing the grip, its parameters are picked up automatically. If you manually make the wrong settings - naturally, the grip will not work.
It is worth noting that a grip called KG12 does not exist at all - that’s how metal KG12 should be called if it is released.
And the only one now existing is a grip called Gladiator Stick with the address 17:2. And only with this address can it be determined correctly and work.

The MCG grip is taken as the main one. If you do not install any grip at all, then after a certain time and the controller reboots, the basic profile under MCG will be loaded (under green No. 1).
What is the name of the device that appears - VKB-Sim Gunfighter Modern Combat Pro NG + firmware version.

And if you now install the GS grip (this is abbreviated Gladiator Stick - let's call it that way to avoid confusion) and restart the controller (either by a button in the configurator or a USB cable), the correct configuration will appear under the name VKB-Sim Gunfighter Vintage NG + version firmware. Under the green number 3.
And only now, when the name and the installed grip match, everything will work and you can proceed to further configuration of the profile for the installed grip.

Now let's deal with Ordinal and Definer devices.
Ordinal are the basic devices that will be present in all your configurations. And they go at number 0. If you go sequentially through # devices in External Devices, then each will be assigned its own profile number in Definer. It is on it that the connected grip is determined. I have 3 axle pedals connected and they are present in all configurations, as are the two main roll and pitch axes. Therefore, they are Ordinal (No. 0 - in red). All the rest are Definer (under their number and colors). 1 - MCG, 2 - SCG (_L), 3 - GS, 4 - F14.

Ordinal.jpg
MCG-SCG-F14.jpg
GS.jpg

These basic axes must be registered in each profile for grip (red lines) and additional (other colors) depending on the installed grip.
My GS has a microstick instead of a button HAT - so you will not have yellow axes. But the principle applies to all grip.

GS1.jpg

Since the restriction of 8 axes in the system has not been canceled, you have to move the axis of the MCG sticks further.

MCG1.jpg

Naturally, don't forget to calibrate them and bind the POVs to the new axis layout. We add the profile numbers to zconfig.ini, write the desired number to Profile-Common (after that Set is required), save it to the Save disk and immediately see the name of the profile when loading the profile.

Profile1.jpg
Profile.jpg

VirusAM

Postby VirusAM » Sun May 24, 2020 18:50

Thanks Ron
in this thread viewtopic.php?f=25&t=4280 we tried to address the things, and you saw my video.
When i put the kg12 grip (or gladiator stick like you say its called - but on the store page where i bought it is written kg12 grip :) ) it is not recognized automatically and doesn't work.
If i manually set kg12 instead of gladiator, the buttons work with strange layout but still vintage does not show up.

If i mount the MCG Pro grip, reset to default (both with the button in the software or using the BlackBox button), flash the NG firmware and then calibrate (like you suggested in that post), save the profile, then unplug the base, change grip with the GS (again like you say it is called), replug the base, the grip is not recognized, and that is without me changing anything from the default.
So excluding that the grip is broken (we saw that with default old-gen firmware it works) why by default my grip is not recognized?
Also @Zappovitz in the other thread has the same issue as you can see (when he tried the multidevice firmware and changed from MCG Pro to GS all was recognized as MCG Pro)
That's the question of this topic.
It is our mistake (probably as this is a NG software different to the one we were used), or a firmware/software bug like fallout suggested always in that topic?

Anyway now i will study better your post above and we'll see if something can change
Last edited by VirusAM on Sun May 24, 2020 19:15, edited 1 time in total.

VirusAM

Postby VirusAM » Sun May 24, 2020 19:04

Ron61 wrote:
And if you now install the GS grip (this is abbreviated Gladiator Stick - let's call it that way to avoid confusion) and restart the controller (either by a button in the configurator or a USB cable), the correct configuration will appear under the name VKB-Sim Gunfighter Vintage NG + version firmware. Under the green number 3.
And only now, when the name and the installed grip match, everything will work and you can proceed to further configuration of the profile for the installed grip.

To be more clear (you already know as with fallout you are trying to help me by many days, but i write for others)..
This is the exact passage where everything goes wrong for me with the GS (aka kg12 :P)...while exchanging between MCG Pro and F14 grips gives me the intended results.
So to summarize...doing all of what you said me

1) Set all to default, put the MCG Pro grip, plug the base to usb port in the PC, load the NG multidevice firmware, calibrate, save profile to disk with a friendly name.
2) when i switch grips i always unplug the base from usb and plug again only when changed the grip
3) I don't change anything from the default

----------------------- This is what happens ----------------------------

1) MCG pro grip recognized correctly, profile n°1 automatically loaded, all buttons and axis work by default
2) F14 Grip, recognized correctly, profile n° 4 automatically loaded all buttons and axis work by default
3) GS grip, not recognized, profile n°1 (instead of profile n° 3) is loaded but no buttons will work, in test --> external Gladiator stick is shown as red
4) If i manually change in global --> external profile 4 from Gladiator to KG12, the device is still recognized as Gunfighter MCG Pro, but the GS buttons works. In test --> external KG12 grip is shown green
Last edited by VirusAM on Sun May 24, 2020 19:09, edited 1 time in total.

VirusAM

Postby VirusAM » Sun May 24, 2020 19:08

So i read all your post....and as i have only one VKB base, but 3 VKB grips (no pedals, but i hope to get a VKB Throttle soon when will be out :) ) i think i should not change anything..correct?

So i will have 1 ordinal (the base) and 3 definer (the grips) with MCG Pro, Gladiator (KG12) and F14 automatically assigned profile 1,3 and 4

But then why it doesn't work?The gladiator i mean..all the rest works

VirusAM

Postby VirusAM » Mon May 25, 2020 13:02

Nothing....has been decided that i cannot use all the grips i bought and that i need to be left on my own....
What can i do?

Ron61

Postby Ron61 » Mon May 25, 2020 14:56

Since your grip has a different address (17: 3) and only with this address it can be determined (this can be seen in the video, then you should try doing this:
1. install MCG and go into External Devices, change the settings from the Gladiator Stick to KG12, and the address will change to 17: 3, save at number 3
2. change the MCG grip to KG12 and restart.
After that, everything should work.

VirusAM

Postby VirusAM » Mon May 25, 2020 16:28

Tried...but basically i get the same results.
Device is always recognized as Modern Combat Pro and not vintage, Kg12 in external is seen as green...button works but are screwed up and I have the Err-State active message...and profile 1 is selected automatically (not by me)

Pictures here:

1.PNG

2.PNG

Now my question for you:

1) Do you have any idea of why for you works with gladiator stick and for me is "recognized" as 17.3 address but don't work completely?Do i have a different grip?is there some bug or this stick is still not implemented correctly in the software?
2) Any idea on how to fix?Is possible to contact the developer and show him this behavior?maybe he will solve immediately

Ron61

Postby Ron61 » Mon May 25, 2020 16:50

Try to download this profile from the installed KG12. After downloading, click Set and reconnect the USB cable.
1.990 KG12 GF NG.rar
(722 Bytes) Downloaded 184 times

VirusAM

Postby VirusAM » Mon May 25, 2020 17:18

Ron61 wrote:Try to download this profile from the installed KG12. After downloading, click Set and reconnect the USB cable.
1.990 KG12 GF NG.rar

Ok I did as instructed and loaded your profile

I still have VKB-Sim Gunfighter Modern Combat Pro NG as device name, profile 1 still automatically selected and buttons layout is like before.
But making multiple tries with different settings i saw that if i put Kg12 in profile 1 and i press get and leave profile 1 then your button layout is loaded (i can say that because buttons layout is different as per your profile) but still MCG Pro is the name of the defice..

So seeing that the connection with kg 12 is detected (in test external devices we see it green), maybe I have a new grip revision that maybe is still not supported completely by NG firmware and by the software?
Is this is possible? or maybe i simply received a broken (in some strange way) grip?

Return to “Technical Support”