Gladiator upgrade kit

Moderator: AdminGroup

Sokol1

Re: Gladiator upgrade kit

Postby Sokol1 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 21:29

Maybe happens that testers find some serious issue and the project are on hold or back to drawing stage... :wink:

gadget

Postby gadget » Mon Aug 12, 2019 19:20

I purchased a Gladiator mk II to use with the VKBsim SCG LeftHand grip I purchased
only to find when it arrived it was a std not pro version and had a fixed grip....
you can imagine how disappointed I was

I then found the upgrade kit online, but to my despair there are none available.....
given that you are out of stock an apparently aren't likely to produce any of these
could I possibly obtain the dimensions for this part to have one machined

thanks in advance

Sokol1

Postby Sokol1 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 23:36

Gadget.

If you don't get the needed technical drawings for machine an adapter, an option:

First, installing (the non available yet) "X upgrade" that allow Gladiator Mk.II "vanilla" use removable grips (SCG Kosmosima, MCG) remove Gladiator twist rudder.
So easy (and probable cheap) way to install SCG Kosmosima grip in Gladiator Mk.II "vanilla" is 3D print a simple one.

Open SCG Kosmosima grip, measure the piece that fit the 3 pin connector to grip shells, but ignore the 3 pin connector part, measure only the pole above and the fixation tabs, see highlight in this picture:

Then draw this piece in CAD software adding a section for fit over Gladiator pole, similar to this "Thrustmaster FCS/TopGun B8 grip adapter for MS FFB2 base", and 3D print.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/4TKNS ... d=63516898

Cut the 3 wires of the cable that goes for the 3 pins connector (visible in picture above) - or use a new cable with compatible connector (probable JS3) and replace the original piece inside SCG Kosmosima with this new 3D printed piece and fit over Gladiator pole, solder the 3 wires or use an small male/female 3 pin connector.

EIDT _ Looks that is not need cut, neither replace seems Gladiator base cable use the same connector:

Mechanically the installation is done and is reversible, if want return SFG Kosmosima for their original form, for example for use in Gunfighter base, just need solder the 3 wires case cut instead use new cable.
But for your new joystick work you need a new firmware for Gladiator Mk.II "vanilla" with support for SGC Kosmosima grip, don't know if VKB made this available, so check this before start. :wink:

BTW - Having success announce the removed KG-12A grip of Gladiator in Combat Flight Simulator(e.g. IL-2) forums, some guys want this "lookalike" Luftwaffe grip for use in Warghog or VirPil bases (what require redo their internal wiring for CD4021 Shift Register).

Sokol1

Postby Sokol1 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 19:59

Few X upgrade kit available for Gladiator Mk.II in VKB Sim on Aliexpress: :wink:

https://ru.aliexpress.com/item/40001013 ... 2108D6QY3p

But shipping only for some world regions (probable CIS). :mrgreen:

hlfritz

Postby hlfritz » Tue Aug 20, 2019 22:53

Urg, Aarrgh! They will not ship to US. :(

Is Rainer (VKB N.A.) going to get any of these?

Sokol1

Postby Sokol1 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:35

Now available in VKB North America (USA and Canada markets).

https://vkbcontrollers.com/?product=gla ... g-bundle-2

hlfritz

Postby hlfritz » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:21

Yessir! My order has already been placed! I hope this thing is all I want it to be (ordered an SCG premium grip to go with the kit).

EDIT: Sokol, thx for the youtube video you did as well (pretty sure that is you, yes?)!

Sokol1

Postby Sokol1 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 18:20

I did not make video about, but Fallout9 did a nice "how to" install the X kit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_LXh5LTJL4

hlfritz

Postby hlfritz » Thu Sep 12, 2019 20:28

Yah, sorry Fallout9/Tarapatraptar (youtube poster of video). I thought it was you Sokol but you made a comment, not the video. Nice to have the link here.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 20:36

No worries, made the video not for fame but to present an excellent device to the community. I've tested it for a while with the Kosmosima and the only issue I've had is that the duo has so many buttons I couldn't use them all :))

hlfritz

Postby hlfritz » Sat Sep 21, 2019 23:47

I just completed my upgrade, all good now except my 9 A-C buttons on the base do not work (not seen in wizzo). Is that expected? I assumed all buttons would be functional (part of the appeal of this kit), I hope I am right but then that means something it still wrong.

EDIT: NM,as I explore more I am learning more. These base buttons show up as buttons 33-41. I guess wizzo is limited to 32 buttons?

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:50

As far as I remember Wizzo knows 32 buttons (can't check now and haven't used it in a long time so I might be wrong), but VKBDevCfg will tell you exactly how many buttons you have and which is working or not.

Also keep in mind that if you want to use your newly upgraded device in a game like Elite Dangerous which recognizes 32 buttons only per device you'll have to split your device in 2 virtual devices. Could be done in Global/ Common - set #But to 32 and the VC (Virtual HID Controllers) to at least 2. Hit Set when done. This way you could use all your buttons in games limiting the joystick inputs to 32 (or 64, in case you program shifts too).

hlfritz

Postby hlfritz » Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:29

Thx, and wow that is cool. I have not used VKBdevcfg before, and it looks extremely capable but a bit complex. I look forward to the possibilities but have a lot to learn about it.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:42

It is both, you're right. But you could play with it and if you're taking the wrong way you could always get back to the original state by hitting Reset to Default button.

Sokol1

Postby Sokol1 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 21:45

hlfritz wrote: I guess wizzo is limited to 32 buttons?

Probable, Wizzo was released when VKB have a partnership with american seller involved with flight sim development, what rule about controllers (changed latter) was:

"The player is dumb and can't have more than one option". :mrgreen:

Hence Gladiator default profile (firmware) and Wizzo are limited to 32 buttons.

Return to “Official announcements”