Is there a way to split the Gunfighter Y axis to work as two separate axis?

Moderator: AdminGroup

solomonisleboy

Is there a way to split the Gunfighter Y axis to work as two separate axis?

Postby solomonisleboy » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:27

Hardware/Software:
Using the Gunfighter w/ Kosmosima Premium L, DevCfg 89.76, Firmware v 1.967.

Scenario:
I would like to be able to separate the Y-axis into 2 distinct (logical?) axis so that I can bind the positive and negative portions of the Y-axis value-range separately in game (Star Citizen).
This should allow me to separately bind the stick center-through-full-forward-movement to the positive value portion of the Y-axis to work as 0-100% throttle. Then stick center-through-full-backward-movement showing as a separate logical axis (the negative value portion of the Y-axis functioning as Axis Z or Slider 1 perhaps) could be bound to control 0-100% reverse strafe. This would make 100% forward on the current Y-axis function as 100% throttle; the stick-center would effectively be 0% for both functions; and 100% backward on the current Y-axis would be 100% reverse strafe.

Question:
Is this possible to do without having to use a button to activate it, and if so, how?

Ron61

Re: Is there a way to split the Gunfighter Y axis to work as two separate axis?

Postby Ron61 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 13:08

English is not my native language, so there may be a misunderstanding. Can such settings suit you? Video here.
Enable unused 6 axis. Do not forget to calibrate the Y axis before this.

Y-2axis.png

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:22

solomonisleboy wrote:This would make 100% forward on the current Y-axis function as 100% throttle; the stick-center would effectively be 0% for both functions; and 100% backward on the current Y-axis would be 100% reverse strafe.

Why would this be better than simply assign Y axis to Throttle Forward/Back?

Victorus

Postby Victorus » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:25

Руководство пользователя по контроллерам VKB (VKB controllers User Guide) Ru&En
https://disk.yandex.ru/d/LlqiYtIrIetBOQ

solomonisleboy

Postby solomonisleboy » Fri Jul 05, 2019 18:38

Ron61 wrote:English is not my native language, so there may be a misunderstanding. Can such settings suit you? Video here.
Enable unused 6 axis. Do not forget to calibrate the Y axis before this.

Y-2axis.png

This is genius. Thank you, thank you!! Once I updated to latest firmware, it works like magic. Exactly what I wanted. :D :D :D :D 8)

solomonisleboy

Postby solomonisleboy » Fri Jul 05, 2019 18:56

fallout9 wrote:
solomonisleboy wrote:This would make 100% forward on the current Y-axis function as 100% throttle; the stick-center would effectively be 0% for both functions; and 100% backward on the current Y-axis would be 100% reverse strafe.

Why would this be better than simply assign Y axis to Throttle Forward/Back?

Great question!

I know I didn't mention it above, but the Speed Limiter is SC's way of allowing the mouse to do what a physical analog throttle should do. I think this will be better because I can now map strafe/throttle forward and speed limiter to the same absolute axis. It gives me the ability to control both with one movement instead of two = much more intuitive, nuanced, quick, pick-your-adjective, etc.. Splitting the Y-axis into 2 lets me do this while also being able to map reverse thrust to the negative value (pull back) on the same physical directional (and therefore naturally intuitive) axis. Granted I'll have to learn to limit my forward velocity with my stick, not the speed limiter... but isn't that what a throttle is for!? If I need more nuanced control in SCM speeds, I can do a curve for that axis that should do the trick.
Back before the Speed Limiter and back when I used a different cheap-brand stick, I split the Y-axis with some borrowed hack-and-slash programming, and I flew with throttle forward and strafe back bound this way. It was so natural and fluid! Loved it. The Speed Limiter crushed that joy for a bit (hyperbole), but this may give me that seamless analog control back again!

Thanks again VKB! You guys rock. This ability to customize, and this quick support is part of why I love my VKB sticks!

solomonisleboy

Postby solomonisleboy » Fri Jul 05, 2019 19:01

Yes search rules! Sadly, I tried to search, but failed to find the answer until asking here. I didn't know what terms to search for.
But you guys are so quick with excellent answers!
Thank you guys!

Victorus

Postby Victorus » Fri Jul 05, 2019 21:18

Sincerely Urs)))
Руководство пользователя по контроллерам VKB (VKB controllers User Guide) Ru&En
https://disk.yandex.ru/d/LlqiYtIrIetBOQ

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 18:03

And talking about splitting an axis, I know there's Axes to Buttons, but is there a Buttons to Axes too? :)
I'll explain what I need: I use a LH Kosmosima+GF as throttle in IL-2. Y axis has no springs or cam, is heavily dampened by the dry clutch and it has no center. In german birds at the end of the throttle (let's say over 74% in 109s) there's the Combat power; over 90% of the throttle there's the Emergency power.
I'd like to set up some virtual detents so the Y axis would move on it's whole physical range for only 74% of the real range. Press button 1, that range becomes 90% of the real range. Press button 2, it becomes 100%.
Any ideas?

Ron61

Postby Ron61 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 18:52

Two different curves for the y-axis and switch button? Or do you need buttons on various points of the axis?

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 19:34

Hi Ron,

This is what I'm trying to achieve:
stage 1 - moving the stick on Y axis (no center axis) from the lowest position to highest position is 74% of the whole axis (cruise mode);
stage 2: pressing button 1 the same axis is going to 90% (combat mode);
stage 3: pressing button 2 the same axis is now 100% (emergency mode).

Ron61

Postby Ron61 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 13:19

This is simply done in the NG version. We look at the video.
Let's activate the two upper buttons on the handle - 4 and 5. Although you can use the toggle switch or Tempo-button.
Try this in a simple version - I did not try it myself, because I use only NG.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 19:21

Thank you so much Ron for the detailed video; unfortunately it won't work in my case as there's no NG version yet for the Kosmosima and with the current firmware we can't set more than 1 Response curve to 1 axis. I've even tried to flash the MCGPro NG firmware over the Kosmosima but, as expected, wouldn't work :))
There's one more thing I haven't tried yet, that is setting up some virtual axes with different ranges - I'll try this later, hopefully it works.
But if we're here with the NG, could I ask you - is there an advantage for using Boolean (like in your video for setting up different response curves) over setting up the command directly on the button, like in my screenshot?
Attachments
3.JPG

Ron61

Postby Ron61 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 18:23

I hinted that you can use different ways. You can, and such as yours - right on the buttons. But then you lose the opportunity to hang the display to display the throttle mode.
And another amendment - to get the necessary percentages, you should enter the numbers in the curves, remembering that 100% = 128. Therefore, there should be such 74% = ~ 95, 90% = ~ 115.

Return to “Manuals and Howtos”