Blackbox not communicating with Windows

Moderator: AdminGroup

Psycho

Blackbox not communicating with Windows

Postby Psycho » Tue Jun 25, 2019 18:22

Hi people,

I just got a brand new Gunfighter II MCG Pro. Trying to set it up, I fail at the first step. When plugging the Blackbox USB to my Computer (Win 10 1903), I get a massage that the USB device could not be activated because Windows fails to request device information from it. The BB itself seems to start up fine. System and stick leds are on.
I downloaded the latest tools from https://vkbcontrollers.com/?product=gunfighter-mk-ii. DevCfg and ZBootloader show no device. Even Show_HID does not list it.

I tried different USB ports, and unplugged all non needed othe USB devices. HID software like "Logitech Gaming" was stopped.
I even tried it with an other computer (Win 10 1903) and did a hard reset by the boot jumper on the BB.
No success. :(

I am out of ideas here...

So, right now it seems there are only two possible reasons for the behaviour:
- Win 10 1903 has a problem with certain USB devices (like the BB)
- The BB is broken

It would be really nice, if you guys can give me a hint what to try next.

Thanks
Psycho

fallout9

Re: Blackbox not communicating with Windows

Postby fallout9 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 19:07

Connect the grip to base and the base to the Black Box, plug it in the computer, then follow this step-by-step guide:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ht8yMsdlCQ&t=113s

McGraw

Postby McGraw » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:41

Try another usb cable

Psycho

Postby Psycho » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:39

Thanks for the advice guys.

Meanwhile I somehow figured out, what the problem was and fucked it up afterwards again. But let me explain step by step.

I did some more playing around with the boot jumper of the BB. After several tries, I managed to get the stick to boot up properly. I do not know exactly what I did, thou. Some more research on the web led me to http://alex-oz.strana.de/default.htm. The described procedure there, indicates some timings that seem to be important when hard booting the BB. I still do not know why my stick was in that invalid state the first time, but I got out. So far, so good.

After I got the stick to work, I saw that it's firmware was not the latest. So I downloaded a new one and flashed it. That worked fine. Bad thing: In my excitement about the stick finially comming to life, I was not paying attention to what I was flashing there. Turned out to be some wrong firmware...
I managed to get a look on it in VKBDevCfg. It says something like "1.963 Lite", but crashes when I click the line.
I figured out by now that certain firmwares need certain versions of VKBDevCfg or Wizzo to work. But now I'm stuck in that undefined state from the beginning again. This time I can't manage to do a hard boot anymore.

The way showed on Alex' site has no effect. The BB's lights stay on when I short the jumper.

Another way to hard boot I found says: Plug in the device while boot jumper shorted. Doing that, the BB's lights stay out, Windows reports an undefined state and nothing more. Pluging it out and in again just brings me back to BB's lights on and still an undefined state.

To give a better description of "undefined state". Here is, what Windows says (Sorry, german edition).
In the DeviceManager the stick is listed as: "Unbekanntes USB-Gerät (Fehler beim Anfordern einer Gerätebeschreibung)"

Curious thing about the BB's lights:
Stick: green
Sys: blue
Bus: green (Though nothing is connected at the Bus port)

Psycho

Postby Psycho » Thu Jul 11, 2019 20:39

Me again, with good news.

After hours of trying to figure out to get the stick working, without any success. I got back to the advice of McGraw and got me another USB cable.
It just works... :)

I thought that advice stupid. It turned out, I am the stupid one here for not giving that a try much earlyer.
So, big thanks to McGraw. You made my day, dude! *thumbsup*

Return to “Technical Support”