How to have your device perfectly centered even with #10 cams

Moderator: AdminGroup

fallout9

How to have your device perfectly centered even with #10 cams

Postby fallout9 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:59

Noticed lots of people complaining that their ships or planes are drifting when the stick is released. Some of the complains are coming from people setting up 0 deadzone on both X and Y axes and having the no center cams (#10) and weak springs installed.
Officially, for the device to stick perfectly in the middle you'd need the hard centering cams (#30), not the weakest springs and a bit of deadzone above 0.x.

But here's how I manage to stick to the dead middle with #10 cams, weak springs and 0.5 and below deadzone:

1. Open VKBdevCfg, select your stick and go to Global, then to Common. Mark the FA box.
2. Go to Profile - Axes. On the last column of the Logical Axes is the FA3 value. Set the slider to 50 for both X and Y axes.
3. On the Physical Axes tab, in the Trimmer column set Trim+ for axes X and Y.
4. Go to the Buttons tab and chose a button that you'll be using to hold your axes to 0. I set up button 3 (pinky) for that. Click on it.
5. Set up that button as Fix Axes from the upper drop down menu. From the lower drop down menu set it up as FA3. Mark the Alternate action box. Mark the boxes corresponding to axes 1 and 2. Close the pop-up.
6. Press Set to write the changes to your device. If you're on Partial write settings select Physical axes, Logical axes and Buttons.
7. When you're in game and just flying to a fixed point set up your ship or plane on that point and press the button 3. When you want to change direction press the button again.

Hope this helps someone.
Attachments
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG

hon0

Re: How to have your device perfectly centered even with #10 cams

Postby hon0 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:41

Good idea. I have something similar. I have a button (#8 Grip Botton) with a tempo, on short press it reset my trim and on long press it toggle a small center deadzone. So I can release the stick and be assured it will be perfectly centered but still can give input in case of emergency.

I only need trim on X axis for this profile.

Below are the stuff for the short press configuration.

And here is the stuff for the long press.

Edit : My wish is that in a future version of VKB Grip, especially those designed for SpaceSim, we could have a kind of optical sensor as we can find on good old Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2. Hands on the Grip, no deadzone, hands off, small deadzone or trim or something like that.

(No idea how complex / pricey that could be but I really like the idea)
VKB Devcie Config v0.91.26 - Firmware version: v1.994

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 17:40

That's a good idea too Hon0. Another thing that could be done would be to set up some curves with their low 5% close to 0 and assign them to a button - pressing the button in game activates the curves.

AeroGator

Postby AeroGator » Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:44

hon0 wrote:My wish is that in a future version of VKB Grip, especially those designed for SpaceSim, we could have a kind of optical sensor as we can find on good old Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2. Hands on the Grip, no deadzone, hands off, small deadzone or trim or something like that

The idea is cute :)
How it will market, is a different question. Some may say, WTF, why are we forced to pay for bells and whistles we will never use?
This is NOT to say that I shrug off the suggestion. Let it sink in. Who knows where we will be a year from now. :idea:
Best Regards,
AeroGator

hon0

Postby hon0 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:48

I understand, I do the same remark about the F14 grip twist axis :P
(I would love your twist adapter to be compatible with all future VKB Grip, not only MCG :finger-crossed: Less money for you however :oops: But.. That means more money for me, and so potentially more grip in the end :wink: )
VKB Devcie Config v0.91.26 - Firmware version: v1.994

AeroGator

Postby AeroGator » Fri Jun 07, 2019 15:28

hon0 wrote:Less money for you however

Not necessarily. Technologically it may be cheaper to have one unified module compatible with all models.
Best Regards,
AeroGator

ddrake1984

Postby ddrake1984 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:42

I followed the setup from fallout9 for my left stick and it works, but when I tried it on my right stick, it's not working.

I hope someone here can lend a hand?

https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApLcFpUs2M5hgZQcs8ZtLjrva46awg - this is my config

ddrake1984

Postby ddrake1984 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:20

all fixed, I found out it didn't like the boolean next to the other boolean.

so I moved things over and gave it some more room.

Return to “Manuals and Howtos”