Strange 'Physical Axes' Values??

Moderator: AdminGroup

Snacko

Strange 'Physical Axes' Values??

Postby Snacko » Thu May 23, 2019 20:48

I was getting 'jumpy' X & Y axis the past few weeks, and it would never stay centered. Tried everything, so I took it apart today and blew out any dust with some canned air. It seems better now.

But as I was testing, and setting it to Default Values I noticed that my Settings for the 'Physical Axes' were Way Off from the Default Values. The defaults for KdHi & KdLo are 255 and the Bias and Base are all 0. My profile had crazy numbers as you can see in the attached pic. When the stick is set to Default all of my Axes Test good and work fine. When I set my profile with the crazy numbers, it also seems to work fine.

But if I put in the Default values (255 for KdHi & KdLo, and 0 for the Bias and Base) in my profile, the X, Y, and Slider2 are pegged and don't work at all. All of the 'Physical Axes' values are the same as default! So it should work, correct?

Q1: Why are my numbers so different from the Default?
Q2: Why don't the Default values work with my profile?

fallout9

Re: Strange 'Physical Axes' Values??

Postby fallout9 » Thu May 23, 2019 21:05

From the manual:

3.8.2. Manual calibration
Overview
In some cases the results of autocalibration may be insufficient. For example values
of KdHi и KdLo may be equal to 255. Such values are too great and desensitize axis
precision
(best results are with values about 120 — 180).

255 number represents an uncalibrated axis, you'd want to stay away from that :)

And btw, after you're resetting the device to Default you have to calibrate it and eventually, if you have any saved config, load it up.

Snacko

Postby Snacko » Thu May 23, 2019 22:30

Thanks for the reply.

I thought that setting it to Default, and Calibration were two independent things. IE: you could Calibrate and then set it to default, and it would not affect the calibration. Thanks for clearing that up. And it's nice to know that those values 'are' the calibration of the Physical device. I learn something new every time I have a 'problem' with this..

The manual says:
KdHi Coefficient of gain high. Factor specifying (together with MPL)
upper level of axis response.Value range is 0...255. Default value for
D_MaRS is 190, for analog sensors — 255.

KdLo Coefficient of gain low. Factor specifying (together with MPL) lower
level of axis response.Value range is 0...255. Default value for
D_MaRS is 190, for analog sensors — 255.

And usually a 'default' value is something that 'works' in most software/hardware. That's why it's a default. A good starting point..

When I set my MCG Pro to Default and then Set it to the stick, and test it, all the axes work fine. But if I put those 255 and 0 defaults in my profile X, Y, and Slider2 are pegged to the right. So, that is strange. But if it works, it works. I defaulted and then calibrated it again and used those new values in my profile. It is working fine now.

Ron61

Postby Ron61 » Thu May 23, 2019 22:58

Just keep in mind that the numbers from 190 refer only to the 3-pin D-Mars sensors. Which, for example, stand in the T-Rudder pedals.

By 4-pin sensors type A, V - Mars, this rule does not apply.

Snacko

Postby Snacko » Fri May 24, 2019 0:25

Noted! Thanks Ron!

Ron61

Postby Ron61 » Fri May 24, 2019 9:30

You're welcome.

Return to “Technical Support”