Adding axes/buttons to Gladiator Mk.II

Moderator: AdminGroup

terbucn

Adding axes/buttons to Gladiator Mk.II

Postby terbucn » Mon May 20, 2019 21:47

I'm considering buying Gladiator Mk.II as it seems very good based on reviews and it has very good configuration software.
It also seems that there could be some DIY hardware upgradeability, but I have not found anything very useful. I have found some posts/instructions in Russian, but nothing good in English on this forum.
Basically my wish would be to add some external potentiometers and buttons, ideally via 2 ports on the back of the base, to use them for example for mixture/prop pitch/spoilers.

So my questions are following:
1) Can anyone confirm that the pinout in bottom picture is correct?
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (78.54 KiB) Viewed 8806 times

2) Is there also a way to add more axes than these 3 marked on the pinout, by adding them directly to the board, or through Tx pins?
3) I found official instructions (in Russian / http://ftp.vkb-sim.pro/Documentations/panels.pdf) on how to add multiple buttons, potentiometers and also rotary encoders to King Cobra MKII Pro which uses NJoy32 controller. Would this be also possible on Gladiator or is board more limited regarding inputs?
4) What would be the best way to add the multiple buttons via the SYS/Pedals connectors on back?

This DIY upgradeability is quite a big factor for choosing this control stick.

Ron61

Re: Adding axes/buttons to Gladiator Mk.II

Postby Ron61 » Mon May 20, 2019 23:38

Look here, everything is detailed.

terbucn

Postby terbucn » Tue May 21, 2019 8:08

Thanks, but I already found this thread and I was hoping that someone could explain here in English. Google Translate is not really good in translating technical stuff.
And there it is only discussion about adding additional axis, not buttons, as far as I understood.

Ron61

Postby Ron61 » Tue May 21, 2019 9:17

For example, I also do not speak English and I use a google-translator. And you understand me. There would be a desire. And then there is a way. Read carefully, there are about the buttons.

Victorus

Postby Victorus » Tue May 21, 2019 15:27

terbucn wrote:So my questions are following:
1) Can anyone confirm that the pinout in bottom picture is correct?

1. Confirmed.
terbucn wrote:2) Is there also a way to add more axes than these 3 marked on the pinout, by adding them directly to the board, or through Tx pins?

2. Available axes are
Joystick axes
- x
- y
- throttle
- twist
KG12 grip occupies one axis port
RJ45
- yaw
- left brake
- right brake
Total 8 axes.
terbucn wrote:3) I found official instructions (in Russian / http://ftp.vkb-sim.pro/Documentations/panels.pdf) on how to add multiple buttons, potentiometers and also rotary encoders to King Cobra MKII Pro which uses NJoy32 controller. Would this be also possible on Gladiator or is board more limited regarding inputs?

Noted controls can be added using expansion boards.
terbucn wrote:4) What would be the best way to add the multiple buttons via the SYS/Pedals connectors on back?

You can directly connect up-to3 axes VKB rudder pedals via RJ45 connector. Or DIY device using VKB MARS sensors.
SYS connector allows to connect VKB devices equipped with NJOY32 controller in any formfactor such as Kobra, Mamba, Gladiator controllers, BlackBox, older ThrottleBox.
Руководство пользователя по контроллерам VKB (VKB controllers User Guide) Ru&En
https://disk.yandex.ru/d/LlqiYtIrIetBOQ

terbucn

Postby terbucn » Tue May 21, 2019 17:53

Thank you for the answers.
Two follow-up questions to the answers:
1.)
Victorus wrote:2. Available axes are
Joystick axes
- x
- y
- throttle
- twist
KG12 grip occupies one axis port
RJ45
- yaw
- left brake
- right brake
Total 8 axes.

If I understood correctly, it is only possible to add axes through RJ45 (Pedlas) port. It is not possible to add additional buttons or rotary encoders via this (or SYS) port?

2.)
Victorus wrote:Noted controls can be added using expansion boards.

This expansion boards can be bought/made and connected to Gladiator, or was this only possible for King Cobra MKII Pro?

Sokol1

Postby Sokol1 » Wed May 22, 2019 7:48

Victorus wrote:
terbucn wrote:
3) I found official instructions (in Russian / http://ftp.vkb-sim.pro/Documentations/panels.pdf) on how to add multiple buttons, potentiometers and also rotary encoders to King Cobra MKII Pro which uses NJoy32 controller. Would this be also possible on Gladiator or is board more limited regarding inputs?

Noted controls can be added using expansion boards.

@ VictorUS

The question is that this (VKB) expansion boards is no longer available.
What OP want know (and me too) is:

Is possible add homemade buttons/encoder panels to VKB Gladiator?
Are any internal connectors available for this?

Victorus wrote:
terbucn wrote:4) What would be the best way to add the multiple buttons via the SYS/Pedals connectors on back?

You can directly connect up-to3 axes VKB rudder pedals via RJ45 connector. Or DIY device using VKB MARS sensors.

As far I understand, SYS connector "talk" only with other Njoy32 controller, example a BlackBox, correctly?

What again invalid use DIY devices, because VKB MaRS sensors are not available for DIY buyers.

In DED_RON Gladiator modification (link for Il2sturmovik.ru), he use a analog mini-stick (2 axes), but is not clear where are connected this axes in Gladiator Njoy32.

Then, the Pedal connector accept potentiometers (analog axis)?

@Terbucn

Here a example in where the guy add 6 buttons - a 4 way HAT plus 2 press buttons to Gladiator, but don't "tell the secret" of connections. :mrgreen:

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=3443

Picture from this topic:

I plan to something similar:

Gladiator HAT is difficult to use in their actual position, they should be twisted 25/35 degrees for left for follow thumb finger inclination, then

- Move POV HAT for right side, in a support similar of this BF 110 KG-12, a "Rüstsatz" (field modification), so keep the look - more or less.

Image mirrored just for show the new HAT position.

- Add 1 button to HAT - the new HAT will be a Alps 5 way naviation switch
- Place a press button in actual HAT position (like in original KG12)

- Maybe use sensor of twist rudder in a brake lever, if don't find difficult to do this, I find analog brakes superfluous, more because don't use twist.

Ron61

Postby Ron61 » Wed May 22, 2019 9:16

There is no secret in connecting a microstick instead of a twist sensor.
The Hall sensor (ss495A, resistor) can be connected to the same connector as the twist board.
And the expansion card on the CD4021 (or the board from the Kobra 5 grip) can be connected to the unsoldered "To stick" connector.
Naturally, with the subsequent setting in the configurator.

11.gif
12-3.gif
12-3.gif (66.64 KiB) Viewed 8749 times

2 buttons connect here and configure
+2 buttons.gif
+2.png

add an 4axis (any) and configure it, set the appropriate type in Input
4axis.gif
hand brake.png

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Wed May 22, 2019 18:50

Sokol1 wrote:Here a example in where the guy add 6 buttons - a 4 way HAT plus 2 press buttons to Gladiator, but don't "tell the secret" of connections. :mrgreen:

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=3443

Sorry I haven't mentioned in the original post, but I though Ron61 explained it pretty clear - I've made a 6 buttons, 2x3 button matrix and I made the connections through the BM3 Stick1; can't remember exactly, but I think the 2 rows were connections 1 and 2 followed by the columns.

sascha2770

Postby sascha2770 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:21

hey guys, I have the oppurtunity to add 2 additional MARS sensors from a second vkb controller.

Now i can only see 3 Mars Inputs, the others are hall sensors(3 wires) or potentiometer connections(also 3 wires)
so where on the pcb can I add another 2 (4wires) Mars sensors?

12-2.jpg

Return to “General discussions”