Tempo Function Not Working [Resolved]

Moderator: AdminGroup

JLX

Tempo Function Not Working [Resolved]

Postby JLX » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:20

I can't get the TEMPO (Short/Long Press) function to work and believe there may be a bug where the assigned buttons either don't trigger at all, or trigger incorrectly.

I have a Gunfighter Mk.II + MGCPro Rev.B using VKB Device Config v0.83.96 (NJoy firmware v1.91).

I was unable to attach the Device Report and the TempoNotWorking.cfg files but they can be downloaded from my Dropbox with the links provided.

As you can see from in the blue cells in the screenshots below, I'm trying to assign the short presses to the original buttons and the long presses to buttons 29-32. As it stands, neither short nor long presses are generating any button presses at all.

As you can see I have a global Tempo Time of 200
TempoNotWorkingCommon.gif

I am trying to setup the Tempo function on:
  • Line6/Reg2 (Upper Right Grey Btn)
  • Line7/Reg2 (Top-Left Red Pickle Btn)
  • Line8/Reg2 (Lower-Right Grey Btn)
  • Line6/Reg3 (Push Btn on Left Thumbstick)

Physical Layer:
TempoNotWorkingPhysical.gif

Logical Layer:
TempoNotWorkingLogical.gif

Any/all help would be very much appreciated. THANKS!
Last edited by JLX on Fri Feb 09, 2018 19:31, edited 1 time in total.

Victorus

Re: Tempo Function Not Working

Postby Victorus » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:50

JLX wrote:I have a Gunfighter Mk.II + MGCPro Rev.B using VKB Device Config v0.83.96 (NJoy firmware v1.91).

I was unable to attach the Device Report and the TempoNotWorking.cfg files but they can be downloaded from my Dropbox with the links provided.

As you can see from in the blue cells in the screenshots below, I'm trying to assign the short presses to the original buttons and the long presses to buttons 29-32. As it stands, neither short nor long presses are generating any button presses at all.

As you can see I have a global Tempo Time of 200

1. Try to use up-to date firmware and vkbdevcfg.
2. Some file types cannot be attached "as is". You can pack them to zip format.
3. You assigned ## 29...32 as second buttons for Tempo, but buttons of Reg#4 (25-32) are disabled (OFF function) so will not work.
4. 200 ms is too short value, I think, to differ short ang long pressing. I use 500, half of a second.
Руководство пользователя по контроллерам VKB (VKB controllers User Guide) Ru&En
https://disk.yandex.ru/d/LlqiYtIrIetBOQ

JLX

Postby JLX » Thu Feb 08, 2018 17:25

Thank you for your reply but your suggestions did not help with my issue:

I am using current versions to the best of my knowledge. Are there newer versions available that I am unaware of? If so, please link. The ones I'm using are the latest available I could find:
Versions.gif

I did try a Zip file first and tried again today. However the Dropbox links are working so please use those.
ZipUploadError.gif

The Lines for Reg#4 are off in the physical layer as they are used by the two thumbsticks to generate buttons presses (which I do not want as I already have them assigned to POV via Axis2Btns).

The Btn assignments in the TEMPO function are for virtual/logical buttons (not physical lines) as I understand it. I did check by assigning the TEMPO buttons to new virtual buttons in higher registers and leaving the physical layer ON. However, this still doesn't work and the Device Report also flags and error saying that two assignments have been made to a single virtual button. So, this does not appear to be the reason the TEMPO function isn't working for me.
ToolTip.png

Just to be clear. NEITHER the short or long presses are registering at all. Your reply suggests that the short press should be working but that the long press wouldn't because the lines in Reg#4 were off (which does not seem to be the case).

To be thorough, I tried with 500ms (which is VERY high) and it didn't help. I'd think 50ms should be ample (which is why I set it to 200) but...

Ron61

Postby Ron61 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 19:02

Make a default reset and assign new buttons for Tempo without disabling anything on the physical and logical level. This is not correct on your 2nd and 3rd screenshots. Try the Tempo2 mode.

JLX

Postby JLX » Thu Feb 08, 2018 19:46

Thanks for the reply.

I reset to default as you suggested and ONLY changed Line#7/Reg#2 (Btn 15), the "Red Pickle Btn" to TEMPO and took the default virtual button Tempo assignments [15][16].

Neither the short or long press worked. The problem is exactly the same as I described in my earlier post.

However, I then tried Tempo2 mode as you pointed out. While the short-press still does NOT work, interestingly the long-press now does and activates virtual/logical btn [16] as expected.

As the manual describes Tempo2 mode as holding the button as long as it's pressed, rather than using the T_Tgl pulse time. This led me to think that perhaps the pulse time (T_Tgl) which I left at the default (50ms) may not be working correctly? I tried increasing it's value to 250 in hopes it might help but it didn't make any difference.

Ron61

Postby Ron61 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 20:13

Let's see the video, of course, with its buttons cells. To invoke a virtual layer, double click with the left button. Hint - green - free, red - busy.

DoubleClick.png

JLX

Postby JLX » Thu Feb 08, 2018 20:48

Ron61 wrote:Let's see the video, of course, with its buttons cells. To invoke a virtual layer, double click with the left button. Hint - green - free, red - busy.

Thank you for taking the time to make the video.

Good of you point out how to check for free buttons but I'm already aware of how to do that. Button 2 is already working fine now that I've switched to Tempo2 mode as you suggested earlier. It's the SHORT-PRESS which is not working - and that location cannot be changed.

I noticed from your video that you are using VKB Device Config 0.84.56 with firmware 1.93. Both of these are newer than what I have! I cannot see these versions on the VKB website (firmware, VKBDevCfg). Can you please provide a link to where you got them? Perhaps that is my issue.

I was going to try reflashing the firmware in case that helps but of course I'd like to try with the latest versions available.

Ron61

Postby Ron61 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 21:01

This is a beta version, in which there may be bugs. But they are available in this topic to everyone who is willing to take a certain risk. Blue links in the first post and in the second will give you this opportunity. I'll warn you - it's very difficult to keep up with the updates :D .
Most likely, the buttons are assigned to existing and occupied boxes (already assigned as simple buttons). This is the reason.

JLX

Re: Tempo Function Not Working [Resolved]

Postby JLX » Fri Feb 09, 2018 19:30

Ron61 wrote:Most likely, the buttons are assigned to existing and occupied boxes (already assigned as simple buttons). This is the reason.

Ok, after much trial and error, I finally got it figured out! It had nothing to do with incorrectly configuring the TEMPO command or using a button in a occupied space.

It turns out the problems I was having with TEMPO can be resolved by simply RESTARTING the device (Button on the Action Tab) after uploading the new config with SET.

Previously, I was not doing this as it didn't appear necessary. I was able to simply SET the new config to the device, wait for it to upload, and then begin testing right away.

When I ran into all the problems with TEMPO, it didn't occur to me that I needed to RESET the device after uploading the new config. I'm not sure if this "should" be necessary or not, but in my case it resolved the issue! Without the RESET after uploading a new config, the issues remain.

*Note: There is also the odd case where sometimes after I SET a new config, random buttons appear constantly pressed (about half of them). I have not done enough testing to verify this yet but on first glance it appears as if a RESET resolves this issue too. Without more in-depth testing it's just anecdotal at this point. But, I thought worth mentioning for anyone who might stumble on this post.

Although the problem turned out to be different that what you suspected, Ron. Once again, I thank you for your time/effort in helping me resolve it. Cheers.

Return to “Technical Support”