Need help with flashing MK1 Gunfighter for new MCG

Moderator: AdminGroup

onis

Need help with flashing MK1 Gunfighter for new MCG

Postby onis » Thu Jan 25, 2018 18:40

Hello all. Hoping some more tech capable individules here can help me with my setup issues.

I purchased 2 gunfighter sticks when they first became available to use in space combat games. They have worked well but wanted to upgrade one to the Modern Combat Grip.

I recieved the MCG for xmas and made sure to get the MK1 compatible one with the 3 prong base that matches the bases I have.

I looked up the instructions on the VKB site for flashing the box

Got the most current software and installed in same folder

I tried following the instructions provided and have been running into all sorts of issues.

when I first coonect gunfighter stick via usb to computer, it recognizes device as VKB black box in windows and the lights on the box look like this:

1st Problem: When I run the VKBDevCfg-C as admin as the instructions say:
In the top panel, instructions say click on the “VKBsim Gunfighter Modern Combat” name to select it.
However the only thing showing in my window to select is "VKBsim Black Box GF v1.852 HID-compliant game controller"

This was the only option to show up with both grips installed on my base. so being the only option available I went with that and when I select it, it opened up all the options in tools.

2nd Problem: Intructions now say to click on bootloader and it should shut the device config app down and start bootloader... It shuts down config app but didn't start the bootloader app despite it being in the same folder as instructed. So I go ahead and Manually opened the ZBootloader as admin:

Once I opened bootloader app it shows in the lower window:
50.697: Device connected
Error write data: 0
Error read data: 0

I still went ahead and selected the the newest .vkb file (BB_GF_MCG_v1_91_7) in the upper drop down

and when I hit flash it! it said:
Device not ready - aborted

at this point I go back to opening the VKBDevCfg-C program
but After my aborted flash attempt, Now in the window at top it only shows:
"VKB Boot Njoy32 platform v00.56 Lite"

Clicking this no longer expands the Tools options like the previous option had.
At this point the black box lights are out and to get back to having the other option I had to unplug Controller from computer and plug it back in to be rediscovered.

Ive tried the restart options, the default button and just about anything else I can think of. If I try to go into bootloader after one failed attempt without unplugging and re-plugging in controller, it just has a no device connected msg.

I am running Windows 10
have the gunfighter base with kg12 original grip during all these screen shots
tried with my new MCG also with same results.

I don't think anything else is taking control of the joystick when I plug it in. Windows recognizes the device is plugged in and I've tried clicking it under game controllers in windows settings and hitting disconnect option but then nothing shows up in the config app window.

Need lots of help using this beautiful looking product that is definitely above my tech experience to get working properly. I don't know what anything means or does in any of these programs and the available options have been different for me in almost every way from the instructions. hopefully someone can help out and I'll be more than happy to provide any more info needed to sort this all out. especially since I'll probably need to do it all over again when left hand grips finally become available.

~Onis

onis

Re: Need help with flashing MK1 Gunfighter for new MCG

Postby onis » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:25

I solved my issues. It was all security warning issues with windows 10.

so for anyone else that runs into this. I had to right click on both the VKBDevCfg-C program and the Zbootloader-C and under properties had to select box next to Unblock at bottom and also under Compatibility tab select Run the program as an administrator so it always does so.

finally upon opening the programs I was getting a windows security warning asking if I wanted to let this program make changes to my computer. I slide this to off and finally everything worked as instructed.

DevCfg closed and automatically opened the Zbootloader and it was easy to flash from there.

Hopefully my 2 days of head scratching can help some others in similar situation. cheers all.

~Onis

Return to “Technical Support”