Changing cams / springs in Gunfighter Mk II

Moderator: AdminGroup

Murrdox

Changing cams / springs in Gunfighter Mk II

Postby Murrdox » Thu Jan 04, 2018 18:35

Hello,

I'm changing the cams and springs in my Gunfighter for the first time. I ran across something odd and wanted to post it to confirm that it's correct, and maybe hopefully inform other new VKB owners.

VKB Gimbal 1.jpg

In the GREEN circle you can see the Y-Axis spring and cam which I have successfully changed out from the 10 cam and 20 spring to the 30 cam and the 30 spring. Note how there is a nut that is holding the bearing in place. Now, in the RED circle, note the X-Axis bearing. Note how this is NOT a normal bolt. It has a spot to be adjusted with an allen wrench, but the two allen wrenches provided by VKB with the Gunfighter do NOT fit this bolt. Like most people I have assembled a large amount of IKEA furniture over my lifetime so I have a pretty good supply of allen wrenches. A 1/8 allen wrench is too big for this nut, and a 3/32 is too small! I don't have a wrench to fit this bolt.

The Gunfighter instructions advise to remove the bearing before replacing the cam/spring to relieve tension on the spring before you remove it. At this point, it doesn't look like I am able to do this with the X-Axis bearing!

Am I missing something?

Seb71

Re: Changing cams / springs in Gunfighter Mk II

Postby Seb71 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 18:26

Most of the world uses metric system. Try finding metric allen keys. The one between 1/8 inch and 3/32 inch could be 2.5 mm or 3 mm.

AeroGator

Postby AeroGator » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:58

Only basic adjustment and replacement hex/allen wrenches are included in the retail kit. If you want to go further, you will need to look for metric tools.
Best Regards,
AeroGator

marcusstratus

Postby marcusstratus » Thu Jan 11, 2018 19:45

When I opened up my Gunfighter base for the first time I rounded off the hex wrench that came with the base because the bolts were driven down so hard in the factory. I had to pull out my moderately better quality set of hex wrenches and then was able to open it up. So I stopped using the little tools provided out of necessity.

PatVKB

Postby PatVKB » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:31

I’ve just opened my new GunFighter Pro Mk2 and am amazed with the precision of the Gimbal assembly. Well engineered and manufactured. But that 2.5 mm Allen wrench sent in the box is “Junk”, mine measures only .094 inches. 2.5 mm=.098”,,,, more importantly the finish is very poor and soft. Do yourself a favor and buy some “High End” metric Allen wrenches, small openend/box wrenches & nut drivers. A multi-Hunred Dollar device and 3 penny tool.

Return to “Manuals and Howtos”