Subtle grinding on both axis (MCG Pro & Gunfighter rev. B)

Moderator: AdminGroup

Necc

Subtle grinding on both axis (MCG Pro & Gunfighter rev. B)

Postby Necc » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:32

Hi All,
My MCG Pro Grip and Gunfighter rev B arrived today; very nice stick, but when I installed the grip onto the base I could feel a grinding sensation when moving the joystick to the right and forwards (moving the stick back is buttery smooth but moving it forwards and to the right is like fine sandpaper.). I had a look at inside the base and it looks like there's a round metal screw that rolls along trigger-shaped pieces like a rail. It's not really a big deal, but it is noticeable. Is this something that will go away over time or do I need to apply some grease so it's smoother? The stick came with a replacement pair too - should I use these instead?

AeroGator

Re: Subtle grinding on both axis (MCG Pro & Gunfighter rev. B)

Postby AeroGator » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:08

a - it might be normal, it might be not, depending on how strong the feeling is, and whether or not you keep feeling it in play as opposed to on the bench.
b - to see if it is "normal" or "not normal", please post up a picture (make sure it is sharp and evenly lit) of the part in question. upload the picture here, do not post a link to any file depository: we do not follow external links.
c - these "replacement" cams are no replacements, they are different ones with different curvature, meant for different missions. but don't focus on them now, let's solve the grinding issue first.
Best Regards,
AeroGator

Necc

Postby Necc » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:43

I have a sneaking suspicion it is normal, but it looks like the roller that moves along the cam on the x axis is not in the centre and goes off the edge a bit. If I push my finger upward on the cam towards me and move the gimbal to the left and right, there is no grinding sensation obviously because there is no contact between the roller and cam. There is some noticable corrosion on the y axis cam; if I move the joystick backwards it's fine, but when I move it forwards there is grinding.
Attachments
IMAG0366.jpg
IMAG0362.jpg
IMAG0369.jpg

AeroGator

Postby AeroGator » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:17

Necc wrote:A) I have a sneaking suspicion it is normal
B) it looks like the roller that moves along the cam on the x axis is not in the centre and goes off the edge a bit
C) There is some noticable corrosion on the y axis cam; if I move the joystick backwards it's fine, but when I move it forwards there is grinding.

Thanks for speedy reply.
A - whatever makes you less than fully happy is less than fully normal
B - that doesn't matter at all, don't worry, and don't even consider getting extra washers or whatever. it matters not, and influences nothing
C -
Ca - cams are made of hi-grade steel.
Cb - steel is prone to rusting. to prevent it from rusting, we apply chromium coating to it.
Cc - chromium doesn't stick to steel. to apply chromium to steel we first cover steel with a layer of copper, and then electroplate it with chromium.
Cd - every cam we get from the metal works, we test by running our super-sensitive :roll: fingers along the working surface. if we're not happy with what we feel, we touch it with a dremel with the finest polishing head.
Ce - so most likely what you see as corrosion is a layer of copper not rust.

Although theoretically it is possible we overlooked a rusty cam, I'd not give it more than a fraction of a per cent probability.

Now, what to do.
Copper is a soft metal. Although there is a very thin layer, it can still be rolled smooth. Let's try applying a slightest smear of thick grease (liquid oil will do as well, but I'm telling you what's better) to the working surface of cam in question. Use it for a month or so. Chances are pretty high that the problem goes. If not, call again.
Best Regards,
AeroGator

mk2k21

Postby mk2k21 » Fri May 07, 2021 1:04

Hi,

Sorry to necromance this thread but I have the exact same problem. Did you ever fix it?

There is a "grindy" feel when I move the stick, most notably when moving forwards on the Y axis (backwards seems fine).

On the X axis same problem, but on the right, again it feels like grinding a fine coat of sand.

This is my first purchase of VKB gear (GF3 with the MCGU grip), to be honest can't help but feel a bit disappointed, I was really expecting silky smooth operation. Are the bearings misaligned on the cams? I can provide pictures if needed.

Thanks

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Fri May 07, 2021 3:05

No worries, nothing that can't get fixed. But first we have to find out where the problem is coming from. Replace the cams with other pair provided in the package to see if the original pair of cams has issues. Use this video as a guide for taking the cams off and installing the new ones. I would also suggest to install stronger springs, as the MCGU is heavier than any other VKB grip and needs more support.

mk2k21

Postby mk2k21 » Fri May 07, 2021 3:17

Thanks for the quick answer! I’ll try that tomorrow.

On a side note, the grip tightener tool is stuck and I can’t remove the screw from the bottom part. I’m afraid of breaking it if I force it with pliers. Actually it’s not 100% stuck, there’s a little wiggle room but I can’t go past it on either direction. I’ve opened a ticket with Eduard hoping I can get a replacement quickly as I won’t be able to secure the grip for now. I guess I’m a bit unlucky with my first experience with high-end sticks :oops:

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Fri May 07, 2021 3:19

You mean the fastener, the 2 cylinders? Are they stuck inside the grip?

mk2k21

Postby mk2k21 » Fri May 07, 2021 3:48

Yes the two cylinders with the screw. Fortunately I managed to take it out of the grip but it’s stuck (I cannot unscrew from the bottom cylinder or screw through it)

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Fri May 07, 2021 3:53

The 2 cylinders are not twins, only 1 has a thread. Could you post a picture?

mk2k21

Postby mk2k21 » Fri May 07, 2021 3:58

I can post a picture in about 6 hours (it’s almost 3am here) but yes it’s the threaded cylinder that’s stuck, the free moving one can slide between the head of the screw and the bottom one.

mk2k21

Postby mk2k21 » Fri May 07, 2021 9:53

Here you go:

On the first picture I've highlighted the cylinder that's stuck.

The second picture show the same cylinder from below: as you can see there's still ways to go until fully screwed.

I can wiggle the cylinder approx. 80 degrees before it gets stuck: I think the threads are bust on that location.
Attachments
IMG_2198.jpg
IMG_2197.jpg

mk2k21

Postby mk2k21 » Fri May 07, 2021 14:42

Okay so here's what I tried:

• Change spring only on Y axis (strength 30) => now the grinding can be felt on the whole axis, when I pull pack it can be felt whereas before it was 100% smooth. Pushing forward is definely grindy.
  • Change cam to Avia H ony Y axis => significantly worse than above.

I ran my fingers on the cam and they feel smooth, so it must come from somewhere else? I've checked if the cam was properly tightened, movement seemed normal.

Because my grip tightener is definitely broken (It's really, really stuck) I can't test with the grip. Maybe the grip can dampen the feeling to a tolerable level?

I haven't had news from Eduard, I hope he can send me one early next week because now I just have a really nice looking paperweight sitting on my desk :)
Attachments
IMG_2202.jpeg
IMG_2201.jpeg
IMG_2203.jpeg

Drano

Postby Drano » Fri May 07, 2021 16:13

As to the grip tightener in your pics. It could be the first few threads are messed up and that's what's stopping it from turning further. A tiny bit of debris from the tapping process will stop it from continuing. Try removing the screw and threading it in from the opposite end of the tapped half and see if you can turn it through from that way. It should. Before you do that look closely at the threads on the screw and make sure they aren't what's messed up. If they are it won't and trying to force it will only make things worse.

If it were me I'd take both to a hardware store and get the right size and thread tap and run that thru to clean up the threads on the tapped half. I'd get a new screw too. Both of these things should be readily available. Lot less hassle than waiting around.

If not hopefully they'll get you a replacement soon.
Gunfighter MkI w/MkIII update + MCG-Pro Grip
Avia S Cams
2x #30A Springs
FW:v2.13F
Devconfig: v92.78
Zbootloader: v2.01

Asus Strix X570-E Gaming
Ryzen9 5800X3D
Asus Strix 3080 12GB
32GB Corsair Vengeance PC3600
EVGA G6 1000W
Reverb G2V2
Win10/64

mk2k21

Postby mk2k21 » Fri May 07, 2021 16:27

The problem is, I can't remove the screw at all. I managed to use the tightener once or twice on the grip, but on the last try, seeing that the grip wasn't properly tightened when I was testing the twist axis (which is quite hard btw) I tightened further. Then when I tried to remove the screw it was stuck.

I don't think I overtightened it because the grip was moving quite a bit when I was testing the twist motion before tightening further.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. I hope I can get a replacement soon.

Return to “Technical Support”