Broken analog trigger axis?

Moderator: AdminGroup

Barrence

Broken analog trigger axis?

Postby Barrence » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:09

I just got my Gunfighter mk2 with MCG pro grip, and the analog trigger doesn't not seem to register at all as an axis. Everything else tests out perfectly, including the button presses on said trigger. I followed all calibration guides to the letter. It also didn't come with a manual, so I can't tell for sure if it's a software or hardware issue, but it seems like hardware. Bad sensor? Loose connection? Anybody else have this issue? Will I void the warranty if I open it up and try to find the problem? If there's new firmware that needs to be uploaded to it, I have no idea where to find it.

AeroGator

Re: Broken analog trigger axis?

Postby AeroGator » Wed Jan 03, 2018 15:23

Barrence wrote:I just got my Gunfighter mk2 with MCG pro grip, and the analog trigger doesn't not seem to register at all as an axis. Everything else tests out perfectly, including the button presses on said trigger. I followed all calibration guides to the letter. It also didn't come with a manual, so I can't tell for sure if it's a software or hardware issue, but it seems like hardware. Bad sensor? Loose connection? Anybody else have this issue? Will I void the warranty if I open it up and try to find the problem? If there's new firmware that needs to be uploaded to it, I have no idea where to find it.

1 - Calibration.
Let us follow step by step the whole procedure of calibration. Please write down your every step from powering up the device to testing and seeing that the axis doesn't work. It may sound like I'm talking to you like to a child but take it easy, I'm trying to help.
If you think the pictures will help you explain yourself, OK, attach pictures to the post. (please attach files directly, don't give links to any file depository; we will not follow these links).
2 - Opening the shell.
Hardware failure is an extremely, let me say it again, extremely unlikely event. Opening the shell will NOT void the warranty. Blindly poking into the schematics with a screwdriver - will. We never try to stop users from experimenting with their devices; in fact we even sometimes go as far as writing custom firmware for the devices they make by modifying ours - but only providing these people know what they are doing. Guessing does not pay, so can you open the shell without losing warranty? - yes!; can you disassemble the whole thing looking for imaginary problem, and then send us back a bag with spare parts asking us to re-assemble it for free? - no. :mrgreen:

So, let us begin from step by step repeating your calibration procedure. Your move now :)
Best Regards,
AeroGator

rtrski

Postby rtrski » Wed Jan 03, 2018 15:34

Barrence wrote:I just got my Gunfighter mk2 with MCG pro grip, and the analog trigger doesn't not seem to register at all as an axis. Everything else tests out perfectly, including the button presses on said trigger. I followed all calibration guides to the letter. It also didn't come with a manual, so I can't tell for sure if it's a software or hardware issue, but it seems like hardware. Bad sensor? Loose connection? Anybody else have this issue? Will I void the warranty if I open it up and try to find the problem? If there's new firmware that needs to be uploaded to it, I have no idea where to find it.

I don't want to get in the way of real tech support, so definitely pay attention to them. BUT if it helps - I have the exact same thing as you (MCGPro, Gunfighter Mk II base (B-connector orientation both).

When I am looking at the Test - AXES page of VKBDevCfg, and squeezing or flipping 'up' the top folding trigger, I also do not see any analog axis move. The axes you can get to move are the first two and the last five of the list. X/Y are obviously the stick Stick, Z doesn't move, the Master Mode switch axes move in relative mode (perhaps after a long press of the center of the hat first, if it was registering as a POV on the buttons test page first), the Gate control hat, and lastly the brake lever. I'm guessing the unmoving Z doesn't register because that's reserved for the twist accessory.

The folding trigger has a separate settings group for it in the software specifically marked as the MCGPro Trigger (Profile - Common -n-Axes - Axes2Buttons page), with "Safe" checked by default and "Armed" and "Fire" additional options with sliders of where along the range they should show up if enabled. Is this what you're talking about? Depending on your settings here and after a proper calibration (the best procedure outline is on the post in this forum by rrhode, here: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=2877 ) you should see various Test - Buttons light up as you manipulate the folding trigger along its range.

I guess I don't know the proper definition of this control but I never expected to see a 0-64000 type 'slider' for the folding trigger. I'm guessing you aren't broken, or if you are then I am too! ;-)
RH VKB GF Mk III + Modern Combat Grip *ULTIMATE* (12/17 GFII , upgraded), _powered_ deploy!
LH VKB GF Mk III + Kosmosima Prem (02/19 GFII, upgraded), *lateral* mounted
Feet: Slaw Viper RX Pedals [Sorry, VKB, too gorgeous]

Barrence

Postby Barrence » Wed Jan 03, 2018 22:29

Haha, I know you're trying to help, Aerogator, and I greatly appreciate it. Don't worry, I'm totally calm 8)
Order of calibration is as follows.
1 - Plug in device
2 - Launch VKBDevCfg-C
3 - Ensure trigger is flipped down
4 - Flip it up, and down, and fully depress
5 - Start calibration
6 - Manipulate full range of main gimbal, then master mode stick, then gate control stick, then brake lever
7 - Flip up trigger, then down and fully depress
8 - End calibration
9 - Check "Test - Axes" page while depressing trigger and see no movement on the sliders

However, after reading what rtski said, I tried enabling "armed" and "fire" under the MCG pro trigger on the "Common -n- Axes" tab, and then tested the button functions and they all came up. I think I just totally misunderstood how the trigger was supposed to work (like I said, I think they forgot to put my manual in the box), because exactly what he described on the "Test - Axes" page is what I was expecting to see. I didn't realize that last axis readout was reserved for the twist (which I do plan to get). I was expecting to see that move with the trigger. So apparently I'm just an idiot :oops:

On a side note, is there actually a way to set up the trigger sensor to work as a full range absolute axis like the brake lever does?

Thank you both very much for your assistance. Sorry for being dumb.

Also, I did end up taking a look inside just to see if I could spot a loose wire or anything, which of course I didn't, but I gotta say, that is a nicely put together piece of kit.

AeroGator

Postby AeroGator » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:19

rtrski wrote:The folding trigger has a separate settings group for it in the software specifically marked as the MCGPro Trigger (Profile - Common -n-Axes - Axes2Buttons page), with "Safe" checked by default and "Armed" and "Fire" additional options with sliders of where along the range they should show up if enabled. Is this what you're talking about? Depending on your settings here and after a proper calibration (the best procedure outline is on the post in this forum by rrhode, here: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=2877 ) you should see various Test - Buttons light up as you manipulate the folding trigger along its range.

I guess I don't know the proper definition of this control but I never expected to see a 0-64000 type 'slider' for the folding trigger. I'm guessing you aren't broken, or if you are then I am too! ;-)

Marvelous. Seriously.
OK, now about the slider for the trigger: as the trigger has no sticky central position, on different individual grips it may return to slightly different positions after being flipped up and then back to middle. The slider would help you catch the sweet spot.

Errrr... who is doing tech support here, I sorta forgot. Is there anything I can do for you here?
8)
Best Regards,
AeroGator

AeroGator

Postby AeroGator » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:40

Barrence wrote:So apparently I'm just an idiot

Fantastic. If these guys are calling themselves idiots... I'd want to see one real idiot in my life!
Honestly I am damn impressed.
Barrence wrote:On a side note, is there actually a way to set up the trigger sensor to work as a full range absolute axis like the brake lever does?

Yes there is a way. And yes there is also a way to steal the twist's axis for your other needs. But let us leave it aside for some time, please now gt used to your joystick, make yourself comfy with it and give us some time. We might run some kind of course on this mapping thing, later, not right now.
With your abilities you well might find your own way to do so, which we always encourage people to do - but don't forget to create reserve copies of your settings before trying anything extreme.

By the way, it still would be nice to see these two screenshots from you (see attachments - any numerical values in the attachments are not to be copied, just to show you which exactly pages I want to have a peek at).
Attachments
tools-butt-logical.png
axes2butt.png
Best Regards,
AeroGator

Barrence

Postby Barrence » Thu Jan 04, 2018 13:15

AeroGator wrote:Honestly I am damn impressed.

AeroGator wrote:With your abilities you well might find your own way to do so

Aww, Gator you ole' charmer you, I bet you say that to all the pretty customers :wink:
AeroGator wrote:We might run some kind of course on this mapping thing, later, not right now.

Heh, I'm guessing that means there's no digital documentation for all the functionality that the config utility can provide? It's obviously quite powerful (I noticed your version has a macro tab...), but also a bit cryptic. Here's hoping something like that will be available at some point. Hoping for that lefty grip soon too haha :)
AeroGator wrote:By the way, it still would be nice to see these two screenshots from you (see attachments - any numerical values in the attachments are not to be copied, just to show you which exactly pages I want to have a peek at)

Of course good sir, I shall provide the requested visualizations forthwith.
VKBDevCfg1.JPG

VKBDevCfg2.JPG

Thanks again :)

rtrski

Postby rtrski » Thu Jan 04, 2018 22:32

There is a manual in English for VKBDevCfg.... I'm typing on my phone so can't easily search, but look around the forums for posts from VictorUs for the link. I also posted it on the Reddit hotas sub fairly recently.

Aero, glad you didn't think I was stepping in on your assistance attempt. :)
RH VKB GF Mk III + Modern Combat Grip *ULTIMATE* (12/17 GFII , upgraded), _powered_ deploy!
LH VKB GF Mk III + Kosmosima Prem (02/19 GFII, upgraded), *lateral* mounted
Feet: Slaw Viper RX Pedals [Sorry, VKB, too gorgeous]

aaron886

Postby aaron886 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:04

It's very hard to find that manual. Here it is:
https://yadi.sk/d/5bAh54U83NEbZk

Ron61

Postby Ron61 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 18:22

More new here.

Barrence