MCG loose base

Moderator: AdminGroup

Worthing

MCG loose base

Postby Worthing » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:14

I have the MCG Pro Rev B with the Gunfighter

I have used the stick for probably less than 8 hours, but today I noticed that the metal base of the grip has become loose. It wiggles about 1 mm. Of course this translates to a very noticeable bump when actually using the stick. In comparison, the base on the grip of my gladiator pro is rock solid, so I'm confident it is not supposed to be like this.

I attempted to tighten the screws around the base of the grip, and immediately noticed that one of the screws is free spinning, so I wasn't able to tighten it. I suspect that this is contributing to the loose base. This is the screw in question. Image

AeroGator

Re: MCG loose base

Postby AeroGator » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:53

Interesting.
To find the culprit, let's do the following:
- carefully by gentle pull remove the DC hat knob
- using an appropriately thin and long philips (X) screwdriver untighten all screws
- after untightening them all, screw them out
- remove the right half of the grip shell
- make sure the screw in question is put away from all the rest
- visually inspect the rivet nut of the screw in question

a) it looks OK and doesn't feel like it is broken loose

then:
- check the shaft bracket bolts* and feel if they need tightening; tighten them if yes
- try screwing the screw in question into its rivet nut (yellow brass thingie)
- check whether it spins free
- if it does, try another screw in the same nut
- check whether it spins free
- if it does not, the screw is bad
=> the screw needs replacement
if it does, the nut is bad
=> write to us, we will dispatch the Grip Fairy to help.

b) it looks and feels loose (or it is not there)
=> write to us, we will dispatch the Grip Fairy to help.
Best Regards,
AeroGator

Worthing

Postby Worthing » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:45

Thank you so much for the swift reply!

Good news! The solution worked! Both of the screws holding the base in were loose. One of them was particularly loose and wasn't even finger tight.

After tightening them up, the base is now rock solid!

Embarrassingly enough there was nothing wrong with the "free spinning" screw. The bit I was using simply didn't quite fit down to the screw, but happened to be just tight enough to provide tension to make it feel like I was moving a screw without it being obvious that it didn't fit. After switching to a thinner/longer screw driver I was able to tighten it no problem.

Thanks again for the help! I really really love that you guys actually encourage us to open up our sticks and fix them ourselves!

AeroGator

Postby AeroGator » Wed Jan 03, 2018 14:09

Great.
Have fun, don't hesitate to call again.
Best Regards,
AeroGator

rwalker

Postby rwalker » Thu Jan 04, 2018 19:55

Mine had the same issue, until I saw this thread I thought "that's the way is was supposed to be", dumb assumption I know now as it is much better after tightening the screws :). I believe mine was caused from shipment, the box had heavy damage when it arrived (several holes in the box). Some minor damage to the base plate (bent) and the wrist rest (slightly broke at the back), nothing I can't work around.

I'm guessing many other will have this problem with the loose screws if their packages were treated like mine.

aaron886

Postby aaron886 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:01

Same problem here. I received my PRO for my Mk.1 yesterday and immediately put it on my extension. First thing I noticed was the wiggle: about a millimeter in X and Y. (at the grip height) It's particularly noticeable when I hold the extension steady in one hand, and move the grip in the other. I can feel the shifting of the grip with respect to the (completely solid) extension.

I followed the above instructions, removing the right half of the plastic shell and tightening the two screws on the metal adapter flange. They were not extremely loose, I was only able to rotate them another 1/4-1/2 turn, as tight as I dared. I fear that having two screws at the top of this adapter is not enough to ensure the adapter does not move and/or eventually wear down the plastic around it. I still get the same amount of wiggle in X, and slightly less in Y. Frankly, it is an unacceptable amount, and if tightening these screws does not fix it, I fear this is a design flaw. Can it be replicated on a device owned by VKB staff?

EDIT:
I tried further tightening the two exterior screws at the base of the grip to increase the force of the plastic against the metal adapter, and unfortunately they are now shorn in half. With almost no effort, I reached the point of maximum tightness and continued past it without realizing it was happening. I'm not a ham-fisted guy... these screws are just way too soft. I was using three fingers on the screwdriver.

IT appears one of the screw holes is cracked. I don't know if that was my doing or not, probably so. I never felt any "breaking" sensation. The shafts of both screws are fully embedded in their brass receivers and with my tools, impossible to remove. If there is a Grip Fairy, I'm going to need their help.

EDIT AGAIN: (After posting the pictures)
I just tried to (gently) put the halves back together using the remaining screws, so as to avoid losing anything. I placed one of the screws in its hole, and gently started to rotate it. Something felt off, so I pulled away the screwdriver: another screw head shorn from the shaft, this time with no effort at all! The shaft of the screw is barely a turn into the plastic. It hasn't even reached the other half of the grip yet. You can imagine my disbelief!

Note the crack:

SilentEagle

Postby SilentEagle » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:31

My MCG Pro was seeing a lot of X axis and Z axis rotation about that point as well. Followed the instructions and found those two internal screws needed about 3-4 full rotations to fully tighten. Stick is now rock solid relative to the extension.

redlir

Postby redlir » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:58

My MCG Pro handle for Gunfighter MKII has the same issue. I took it apart today after seeing the instructions above, and tightening the 2 screws resolved the issue for now. They were VERY loose. Not even finger tight.

SimpleSimon

Postby SimpleSimon » Fri Jan 05, 2018 17:19

Same problem.

Now all fixed.
Last edited by SimpleSimon on Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:29, edited 1 time in total.

aaron886

Postby aaron886 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 21:23

I just want to confirm: for the rest of you guys, after following AeroGator's instructions, all of the wiggle is gone? I followed those instructions and still had a significant amount of movement. For what it's worth, the screws inside and outside my grip were not tight at all, but they also weren't shockingly loose.

Silvershade

Postby Silvershade » Fri Jan 05, 2018 23:03

Mine is doing the same thing

** Edit, after tightening those 2 screws inside that solved the loose base. However during the breakdown of the stick one of my little tiny screws either dropped or it was missing one to begin with. I can't find it..

Matt

Postby Matt » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:10

This might be weird for some people, but maybe one of the VKB guys could let us know which type/size of screws are currently used for the stick.

I've ordered the stick myself and by the look of it, it seems to be a general problem and if the screws are really so brittle, i want to replace them with sturdier once myself right away.

As for the slight movement, the Warthog adapter basically had the same problem. I'll consider adding some tape around the metal adapter part at the bottom where it meets with the casing of the plastic grip to get a tighter seal. Should work and prevent wear around that area. Definately looks like a weak spot.

AeroGator

Postby AeroGator » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:23

aaron886 wrote:I received my PRO for my Mk.1

Please contact the dealer through his site. Your case will be taken care of.
http://vkbcontrollers.com
Best Regards,
AeroGator

AeroGator

Postby AeroGator » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:32

rwalker wrote:the box had heavy damage when it arrived (several holes in the box). Some minor damage to the base plate (bent) and the wrist rest (slightly broke at the back), nothing I can't work around.

That's a huge huge shame. For the future, and for the other guys who read this topic:
Never - NEVER!!! - accept even slightly damaged packages.
Any indent on the box, leaving alone holes, is an absolute reason to refuse the parcel.
The damaged box should be photographed, and the claim should be filed at the local DHL hub.
The fact you did not refuse the parcel automatically means you accepted it as is.
It is going to be insanely difficult now to prove your case to the mail carrier, but I'd recommend you still try.
BTW, could you post up the pictures of the damaged box here?
Best Regards,
AeroGator

AeroGator

Postby AeroGator » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:00

DIN 7985 (ISO 7045) M2*8 is the size of the screw in question, in case anyone wonders.
Best Regards,
AeroGator

Return to “Technical Support”