Gladiator MKII mode button not working.

Moderator: AdminGroup

Shippo_TX

Gladiator MKII mode button not working.

Postby Shippo_TX » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:54

I picked up a Gladiator MkII a few months back and it was working great but then the mode button stopped toggling between the sets of buttons configs on the base of the joystick. I've searched a few forums and I thought I could fix it by simply loading the default profile (GL_A7_B29_HAT1_Def) from http://ftp.vkb-sim.pro/Profiles/Gladiator/ but it's still not working.

Any thoughts on how I can troubleshoot/fix this? I'd really appreciate it.

Device Model: Gladiator mkII v1.85B Pro

Thanks.

Victorus

Re: Gladiator MKII mode button not working.

Postby Victorus » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:47

Please download VKB controller configuration utility http://ftp.vkb-sim.pro/Programms/VKBDevCfg-C_v0_81_83.zip.
Unpack and launch. Open Action - Profile - Buttons - Physical layer tab. Check Poll and press Mode button. This is physical button test. If button is OK you will see red light on line 39 cell.
_mode_but.png
Руководство пользователя по контроллерам VKB (VKB controllers User Guide) Ru&En
https://disk.yandex.ru/d/LlqiYtIrIetBOQ

Shippo_TX

Postby Shippo_TX » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:46

Hi Victorus,

The button is registering based on the screenshot below. It's also changing the LED at the base of the stick. All in all, it looks like it should be working but it's still not changing modes.

Capture.PNG

I'm beginning to think that I got a lemon.. I just noticed the A3 button isn't actuating anymore, like it's jammed down. This is pretty surprising as I'm not a "violent" joystick player, by any means. The last HOTAS I had was an old Saitek x52 and I made that thing last 8 years. Is this common with the Gladiator MkII line?

Shippo_TX

Postby Shippo_TX » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:41

I stand corrected. After a few videos and a quick message to support, I was able to fix the jammed button. I have to say, after checking out the internals of this stick and how easy it was to fix, I'm pretty satisfied with my purchase.

Anyway now, I'm back on track! I just need to fix the mode button.

Shippo_TX

Postby Shippo_TX » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:51

And now, after several hours of poking and prodding, I think I've gained a rudimentary understanding of how VKBDevCfg-C works and I've fixed the problem. It looks like the A1 through C3 buttons weren't assigned alternate values for the different modes. I'm not sure why loading a different profile did fix this though.. maybe because some of the registry blocks were set to No Function and the other profiles couldn't update them? :?:

Anyway, it's fixed now. I really like the functionality of this stick.. Once I learn more about that different registry settings I might make a video on how to use the VKBDevCfg tool.

rtrski

Postby rtrski » Mon Dec 11, 2017 16:13

Shippo_TX wrote:...Once I learn more about that different registry settings I might make a video on how to use the VKBDevCfg tool.

Please do! I'm waiting on the Gunfighter and MCG-Pro, and have to admit that learning how to use config software that might not have very good english translated instructions is a a lingering fear... Judging from your username you might speak "Texan" like me. ;-)
RH VKB GF Mk III + Modern Combat Grip *ULTIMATE* (12/17 GFII , upgraded), _powered_ deploy!
LH VKB GF Mk III + Kosmosima Prem (02/19 GFII, upgraded), *lateral* mounted
Feet: Slaw Viper RX Pedals [Sorry, VKB, too gorgeous]

Ron61

Postby Ron61 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 17:48

Old video (a little not the right name), as from pinky make a simple button. Similarly, any other button is configured. And the manual in your native language is not entirely clear?

Shippo_TX

Postby Shippo_TX » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:31

Oh, nice! Thanks for the link to the manual, Ron61. I think this is just what I need.

Sideslip

Postby Sideslip » Sun Dec 17, 2017 18:22

Shippo_TX wrote:It looks like the A1 through C3 buttons weren't assigned alternate values for the different modes. I'm not sure why loading a different profile did fix this though.. maybe because some of the registry blocks were set to No Function and the other profiles couldn't update them? :?:

I have the Pro and as I understand it, those buttons weren't intended to change with the mode, only the stick. At least that's how mine arrived.

I've got a MCG on order and I will likely turn the mode button into a regular button when I get it. It's great to have modes available to double or triple the number of buttons, but I hate trying to remember what everything does. Between the Gladiator base and the MCG I'll have more than enough buttons without modes.

Shippo_TX

Postby Shippo_TX » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:47

Sideslip wrote: .. as I understand it, those buttons weren't intended to change with the mode, only the stick.

I misspoke slightly, when I said A1 through C3; it was actually just B1 through C3. That's interesting that your stick shipped with a config that switched the buttons on the stick instead of the base. I distinctly remember the mode button only affecting the B1 through C3 buttons so maybe I just got a different versions of the config when is shipped.

Either way, I've been studying the guide and I've fixed the problem. I've also added quite a bit of functionality, with the TEMPO button; nearly doubling by available outputs.

Thanks for all of your help everyone!
Last edited by Shippo_TX on Wed Dec 20, 2017 18:07, edited 1 time in total.

Maetharin

Postby Maetharin » Sat Jan 06, 2018 23:18

Could you point me towards a tutorial on how to make the mode button work on other buttons as well?
Or maybe a tutorial on the vkb device config software in general?

RJ971

Postby RJ971 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 0:38

I have the same issue. When I press the mode button to go from mode 1 (Red) to mode 2 (Green) and press A1 on the base, 3 Lights up when testing the set-up in WIZZO :(

AeroGator

Postby AeroGator » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:59

RJ971 wrote:When I press the mode button........

Please read this post http://forum.vkb-sim.pro/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2762 and follow the directions.
Best Regards,
AeroGator

Return to “Technical Support”