Gunfighter Pro help required

Moderator: AdminGroup

Andy

Gunfighter Pro help required

Postby Andy » Wed Oct 04, 2017 22:13

Hi,

I am not sure if this is a design fault or if I am doing something wrong.

For the second time the bearing that is shown on this picture below has fallen off. Can I add a bit of super glue to the bolt holding it in place?

Thanks

Andy

PhoenixCNE

Re: Gunfighter Pro help required

Postby PhoenixCNE » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:05

It looks like there are 2 washers on the bottom of the stack, you need one between bearing and nut for it to spin freely. I'm not sure if washer was misplaced or if there is supposed to be another one but mine came this way as well and had same problem until I moved it. If I'm just seeing things sorry :)

AeroGator

Postby AeroGator » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:01

Andy wrote:For the second time the bearing that is shown on this picture below has fallen off. Can I add a bit of super glue to the bolt holding it in place?
Yes a drop of threadlocking glue to lock the nut.

PhoenixCNE wrote:It looks like there are 2 washers on the bottom of the stack, you need one between bearing and nut for it to spin freely. I'm not sure if washer was misplaced or if there is supposed to be another one but mine came this way as well and had same problem until I moved it. If I'm just seeing things sorry :)

Nope the washers should be as shown in the picture.
Best Regards,
AeroGator

Andy

Postby Andy » Thu Oct 05, 2017 19:50

Thanks for the responses. There is not a washer, which might explain why this has happened.. After the bearing fell off, all the contents fell in to the casing and were easily recovered, and placed back on from being in there. The base is mounted, so I definitely have not spilled any contents :)

What washer do I need to get? I would like to place a washer there before I add glue.

PS It is not my photo. I just grabbed the link from another site to illustrate where I am having the problem.

Drano

Postby Drano » Thu Oct 05, 2017 20:48

First post here. Andy, I would say definitely DO NOT use super glue on those threads! Especially if you ever might want to or need to take that assembly apart! If you use super glue, once it's cured, it's stuck forever. If you had to take it apart for whatever reason it'd be with a dremel tool and a cut off disc! Don't go there! :mrgreen:

As Aerogator suggested--use some thread locker. You can get some at any auto parts or hardware store. Just a dab. A little goes a long way. It'll lock the nut in place but allow for disassembly later.
Gunfighter MkI w/MkIII update + MCG-Pro Grip
Avia S Cams
2x #30A Springs
FW:v2.13F
Devconfig: v92.78
Zbootloader: v2.01

Asus Strix X570-E Gaming
Ryzen9 5800X3D
Asus Strix 3080 12GB
32GB Corsair Vengeance PC3600
EVGA G6 1000W
Reverb G2V2
Win10/64

Andy

Postby Andy » Thu Oct 05, 2017 23:17

Yeah, I read it all again now I can concentrate properly, and I will get some thread-lock and redo it :)

PhoenixCNE

Postby PhoenixCNE » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:20

Really? How is the bearing supposed to spin freely with the nut jammed up against it? Mine would NOT spin after nut was tightened down until after I moved one of those washers between the nut and bearing. Wouldn't nylon inserts in the nut be a lot better solution than thread locker?

Sokol1

Postby Sokol1 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:17

Safety to use = Loctite Threadlocker Blue 242

AeroGator

Postby AeroGator » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:32

PhoenixCNE wrote:How is the bearing supposed to spin freely with the nut jammed up against it?

This is not normal. Hard to say why it happened this way; might be slight tolerance problem or something like that. I gave myself a job right now to random pick a joystick from storage and check whether a fully tightened nut would jam the bearing; no it didn't.
If it does, of course you can move one of the washers to the front end. Inserting a nylon washer is also a good idea. Just make sure the washer's diameter is smaller than that of the outer part of the bearing.
Best Regards,
AeroGator

PhoenixCNE

Postby PhoenixCNE » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:17

Thanks for the info Aero, hope it didn't sound like I was talking badly about my GF it works flawlessly and I love it. :)

PhoenixCNE

Postby PhoenixCNE » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:02

AeroGator wrote:
Andy wrote:For the second time the bearing that is shown on this picture below has fallen off. Can I add a bit of super glue to the bolt holding it in place?
Yes a drop of threadlocking glue to lock the nut.

PhoenixCNE wrote:It looks like there are 2 washers on the bottom of the stack, you need one between bearing and nut for it to spin freely. I'm not sure if washer was misplaced or if there is supposed to be another one but mine came this way as well and had same problem until I moved it. If I'm just seeing things sorry :)

Nope the washers should be as shown in the picture.

Hey aero I just wanted to let you know, I had my GF opened up to change the springs and decided to investigate the issue I had with the bearing not spinning in proper config. I discovered a small burr on the nut that was messing up the tight clearances. After filing that down everything works properly as it should, seems it was operator error on my part and I should not handle my nuts so roughly :)

AeroGator

Postby AeroGator » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:21

PhoenixCNE wrote:a small burr on the nut

Damn.
Sorry for that. Really. Even nuts are not made by us but we should be more picky when assembling the devices.
Sorry again, and thanks a ton for not blaming us.
Great when people understand we only have one pair of eyes each, and can sometimes miss some imperfection.
Best Regards,
AeroGator

Return to “VKB FSC Europe”