Is MCG Ultimate usable as desktop grip?

Moderator: AdminGroup

Skarafaz

Is MCG Ultimate usable as desktop grip?

Postby Skarafaz » Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:26

Hi!

I'm looking to buy a MCG Ultimate, but I'd like to keep my desktop setup rather than switch to a mounted setup (distance from desk/monitor is my main concern); do you think this grip is really usable without a mount?

PS.: I know that SCG would be the best choice for desktop usage, but I really like MCG metal construction and features.

fallout9

Re: Is MCG Ultimate usable as desktop grip?

Postby fallout9 » Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:52

It is possible to use it on the desk, but you'll have to keep in mind that, compared to the SCG grip, the MCG U is a heavier grip and needs stronger springs. Depending on your desk position (too low, for example), tilting the base while flying is expected in this configuration.

Skarafaz

Postby Skarafaz » Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:40

Ok, thanks for the support!

1sascha

Postby 1sascha » Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:18

Skarafaz wrote:Hi!

I'm looking to buy a MCG Ultimate, but I'd like to keep my desktop setup rather than switch to a mounted setup (distance from desk/monitor is my main concern); do you think this grip is really usable without a mount?

PS.: I know that SCG would be the best choice for desktop usage, but I really like MCG metal construction and features.

Having used my new MCG (non Ultimate) for a couple of days now: It's technically possible, but I don't think I'd want to use it that way - and I imagine with the heavier Ultimate it'd be even less desirable. Long throw, top-heaviness and layout of the grip itself all scream for a mounted setup, IMO. Having used my KG-12 Evo in both desktop and central mount configs, I'd recommend a mounted setup even for that stick (heck, any stick) anyway. Gives you much more control over your inputs IMO and just feels better (to me).

Why not go with the non Ultimate and invest the price difference in a deskmount?

S.

Skarafaz

Postby Skarafaz » Thu Sep 08, 2022 14:48

I prefer desktop usage, especially when I fly X-Plane, P3D and MSFS. At the end I decided to be wise and I bought GF base plus SCG grip (preserving some budget to upgrade my throttle too). I will consider an upgrade to a mounted MCG Utlimate in the future. :)

Sciacud

Postby Sciacud » Thu Sep 08, 2022 18:37

fallout9 wrote:It is possible to use it on the desk, but you'll have to keep in mind that, compared to the SCG grip, the MCG U is a heavier grip and needs stronger springs. Depending on your desk position (too low, for example), tilting the base while flying is expected in this configuration.

What do you mean exactly with "tilting the base"? Do you mean that the base could move or slide while flying? I'm a bit worried about this.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Fri Sep 09, 2022 0:49

You could lift one of the sides of the base plate; this could happen to any joystick that's being used on a desk, depending on one's position and style of flying (like aggressively pushing the grip at the end of axes' range.

1sascha

Postby 1sascha » Fri Sep 09, 2022 15:01

Sciacud wrote:
fallout9 wrote:It is possible to use it on the desk, but you'll have to keep in mind that, compared to the SCG grip, the MCG U is a heavier grip and needs stronger springs. Depending on your desk position (too low, for example), tilting the base while flying is expected in this configuration.

What do you mean exactly with "tilting the base"? Do you mean that the base could move or slide while flying? I'm a bit worried about this.

From past experience (also with other sticks than VKB's): I would almost always consider some way of affixing your stick to the desktop. I think the only one I had where it wasn't necessary was my MS Sidewinder FF2, because that thing had a large footprint and its power-brick for the FF was built into the base and thus the "springs" weren't strong enough to get the base to tilt. All other sticks I've had or tried I would recommend either heavy duty velcro or that 3M plastic-on-plastic "Dual Lock" super heavy duty velcro.

I've used two strips of heavy duty (cloth on plastic) velcro when I was still using my Evo on the desktop and that was enough to hold it firmly in place and prevent any sort of tilting. Without the velcro it would move on occasion. I've not even removed my GF's base-plate from its plastic bag because I'll never use it, so I can't really comment on the stick's behavior on the desktop. The base is pretty large and seems heavy enough, but with the springs I'm running (10+20X, 20+30Y) I'm not sure even that large plate would stay in place on its own without some additional help.

Lastly: I cannot recommend mounting your stick enough. I think doing that (well... prolly also VR, TrackIR and starting to use sticks with dampened axes) was probably the biggest game-changer for me in over 20 years of sim-flying. It's really that much better, especially in the central mount position I'm using.

S.

Sciacud

Postby Sciacud » Fri Sep 09, 2022 15:41

Thanks for sharing your experience but I'm on a budget so I can't afford any desk mounts right now. I can barely buy the Mcgu which price is too way high :oops: (I haven't decide yet)

1sascha

Postby 1sascha » Mon Sep 12, 2022 0:17

Seeing how the MCGU just got a bump in price of 50 or 60 €, I think you'd actually have to pay less for the MCG Pro plus short UCM mount. I paid a little over 500 for both, with the 5% discount code applied. UCM just got a little more expensive too, so it's ~535€ now with shipping, but still "cheaper" than the MCGU (599 - 629€ minus 5% plus shipping) without any sort of mount.

Of course: If your heart is set on the MCGU, more power to you. But with the sort of springs and clutch settings you should be running on that thing, I doubt it'll be much fun on the desktop. Even if you use velcro. I'd guess it'll be a bit uncomfortable to use in that role due to the forces involved and the shape/size of the grip.

Just sayin' ... :)

S.

Return to “VKB FSC Europe”