UK VAT Question

Moderator: AdminGroup

kundalini

UK VAT Question

Postby kundalini » Tue Apr 19, 2022 16:10

It's not really clear how VAT works for UK customers. I worked in shipping and logistics throughout the Brexit changes, so I know exactly how everything "should" work.

The website states that prices "incl VAT for EU only", which suggests that the price shown is the price inclusive of VAT. But whether I'm logged in or not, the same price shows. I can't seem to get a pre-VAT price to show in the basket. In the new system, VAT for items going from the EU to the UK will have VAT charged by the courier once it arrives in the UK. So if the price shown is already inclusive of VAT to accommodate for EU customers, that means UK customers are paying VAT twice?

In the UK many webstores have switched to show all prices ex-VAT for this very reason, as they have customers outside of the EU that need to understand what they are actually paying and to ensure they are not being charged twice.

Also, if this is a problem and you simply don't want to deal with the new UK VAT system (which I can understand as it's horrible), is it possible for UK customers to order from the US/International site instead?

fallout9

Re: UK VAT Question

Postby fallout9 » Tue Apr 19, 2022 18:55

Check this post from a long thread on UK taxes.

kundalini

Re: UK VAT Question

Postby kundalini » Tue Apr 19, 2022 22:05

Thanks for the speedy response. I had actually seen that, and I swear when I checked the prices then, the showed the same whether I was logged in or not. But I just checked again and I do for sure get the lower price now when logged in. Might have been a cache issue as I had only just signed up. Sorry for the pointless post in that case.

I will be getting an order in soon :D

Return to “VKB FSC Europe”