Black Box Questions

Moderator: AdminGroup

RN_Max

Black Box Questions

Postby RN_Max » Tue Mar 31, 2020 0:40

I currently own a Gunfighter Mk2 with an MCG Pro and Kosmosima Pro.

One thing I never realised would be such a chore is faffing about every time I change grips. Physically it is a breeze, one hex bolt. Digitally it is a chore, flash grip firmware, load profile, every swap. I'm not convinced repeated flashing is such a good idea for the longevity of the black box either.

To that end I would much rather either:

- buy another black box and have one flashed for each grip. That being said, I haven't seen the black box for sale on its own. Are they available separately?

- have a black box that can be loaded with more than one grip firmware. Can the Mk2 BB store two?

Oh and before one of the pedantic smart-arses on here suggests it, hosing another 300 plus Euros for a second gunfighter is a non-starter and defeats the idea of swappable grips :roll:

fallout9

Re: Black Box Questions

Postby fallout9 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:23

First of all stop worrying - your Black Box won't be running out of re-flashes :) too soon - you could look up and down this forum and won't find a single BB failing because of that. I myself threw a lot on my BBs and they're still up and running.
If you want to skip the process of re-flashing, calibrating and loading the profile every time you change your grip you could either get a new BB (but no, the new BB MKII won't hold 2 profiles simultaneously) or wait the NG software version to come out of beta - at that time we'll get, instead of an individual firmware for each grip, a Multidevice firmware which won't have to get re-flashed every time you change the grip on a base; you still have to make some clicks through the software when changing grips, but it's gonna be faster and easier.

VirusAM

Postby VirusAM » Wed Apr 01, 2020 13:18

Is it possible to try this beta software?
I am holding up buying more grips (i would like tm adapter and vkb f14 grip) for this reason

Ron61

Postby Ron61 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 14:20

Sure you may. But keep in mind, in the NG version, the layout of the elements has changed slightly relative to the simple version. This may be difficult at first, but only at first. I use only the NG version and am very pleased.

RN_Max

Postby RN_Max » Thu Apr 02, 2020 20:48

I'm not particularly worried, but all the same, repeatedly flashing firmware is less than ideal and moreover a bothersome chore, so it's good to hear that there is a solution in the works. Thanks for the heads up.

VirusAM

Postby VirusAM » Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:33

Ron61 wrote:,

Thanks...i would like to try anyway....
i convinced myself (was not difficult) to buy the k12 and f14 grip...so i will have three of it.
I need an easy way to switch grips without losing to much time every time.

So finally where i can find this NG software?

Ron61

Postby Ron61 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 13:15

Everything extreme is in one place, choose from two links.

VirusAM

Postby VirusAM » Tue Apr 28, 2020 17:51

Is it this one?
VKBDevCfg-C_v0.91.23.zip

any instructions on how to use with multiple grips?
or will i need to discover on my self? :D

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 20:47

That's the latest beta version of the configurator. Has to get paired with the right version of firmware (check the top bar for this info). You could find the MultiDevice firmware under NG folder, in Firmware section.
And no, there's no manual for that :) so if you have any questions you'll have to ask.

VirusAM

Postby VirusAM » Wed Apr 29, 2020 0:14

OK thanks.....
I downloaded everything, now i only need for VKB eu to this my kg12 and f14 grip to test :)

VirusAM

Postby VirusAM » Fri May 15, 2020 13:51

OK...today my F14 and K12 grips are out for delivery, so i should receive it in only few hours.

I loaded the latest multidevice firware and i am redoing my profile for MCG Pro grip for it.
Now what i don't understand (i am trying to figure out but there are no istructions and i don't want to break my Blackbox) what is needed to do when i want to change grips?
I have seen that profiles now have different numbers in a same file...i think i will need to save a single profile for all the grips i own....but then i can switch it just unplugging the Base, switching grip and plugging back the device into usb port?

EDIT: The grips arrived....wow...now what i do make it work?

VirusAM

Postby VirusAM » Fri May 15, 2020 17:45

Ok,
i managed to (i hope) understand how basically works.
But i have several issues
1) The kg12 grip is recognized as mcg pro and no buttons will work. Exchanging the MCG pro and the F14 grip works well (both recognized automagically but the button numbers for the F14 grip is different when using its dedicated firmware)

2) Some functions don't work..don't know if are bugs of experimental software/firmware but this is a minor one

- 2a) i had to redo the profile for MCG Pro, and i assigned dx keys to the second analog pov on the grip. Before it worked, with this new version it won't

-2b) I tried tempo with a button on the f14 grip (the pinkie one button 10), but the tempo press don't work. With the MCG Pro i have different tempo configurations and it works.

3) Damn...the f14 grip doesn't have an hole for offset mount. I cannot use extensions so i don't know what to do....maybe i need to drill an hole.
I won't use the Yaw axis, so i won't care for it.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Fri May 15, 2020 23:32

1) are you disconnecting the BB when swapping grips or at least Park it?
2a) need screenshots for that
2b) same as above
3) option not advised as might lose warranty on doing that.

VirusAM

Postby VirusAM » Sat May 16, 2020 2:07

First of all thanks for your reply.
Then

1) Yes of course...i always do that. I want to preserve as much as i can my hardware
2a and 2b) Tomorrow i will provide screenshots. Anyway i use the same settings as with the older profiles with non NG firmware.

Also i tried the "traditional firwares" and i noticed that f14 buttons layout is completely different (example pinky button is dx7 in tradition firmware and dx10 in NG multidevice firmware, but there are other differences). Also i want to point out that with its own traditional firmware the kg12 is recognized correctly but at first the buttons didn't work. I had to load a profile found on the internet for it to make the button work.

3) What i can do?If maybe in the future a 5cm extension is planned i would gladly buy it. I have the 20cm one (took it with the original GF3) but don't use it as it doesn't clear my desk.
But as i use the stick centermounted, is very unhandy to not use the offset, like i can do with MCG Pro or K12 grip.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Sat May 16, 2020 4:21

Buttons layout might change, it's a beta after all, but definitely not with every update. You could easily overcome this by saving a profile - this way the buttons will stay the way you saved them.
About the Tempos and other controls not working - try the Restart button in Action tab.
About the KG12 not working check Global/External/External Devices and see if the KG12 is loaded and not the Gladiator stick.

Return to “Technical Support”