Stronger Springs for Gladiator Mk II

Moderator: AdminGroup

Maetharin

Stronger Springs for Gladiator Mk II

Postby Maetharin » Mon Apr 16, 2018 22:25

Hello!

First things first, thank you VKB for this superb product!
I couldn´t be happier with my Gladiator Mk II, the quality is surpreme!
Especially that I am able to program the stick to my needs!

Anyway, the one thing I´m a bit bummed out about is that the springs are very, very light.
I come from the already awesome TM t16000m, which uses a spring which is too strong IMO.

Since the VKB NA says the non-Pro Gladiator sticks come with "soft" springs as factory default (https://vkbcontrollers.com/?product=rep ... pring-sets),
would you recommend "normal" or "medium" springs to replace them with?

I´d also be happy with input from other users who have experience with this! :wink:

blackram

Re: Stronger Springs for Gladiator Mk II

Postby blackram » Tue Apr 17, 2018 0:20

I found them about right (I used to have EU version of Gladiator non pro mk1). Heck Im even using the weakest available (20) springs in my Gladiator pro and maybe I will even switch to 10 haha. Im used to light springs (old x52, CH fighterstick user)....Maybe I will get used to 20, dunno. I dont see a point in so much resistance force in desktop joystick without extension.

Maetharin

Postby Maetharin » Tue Apr 17, 2018 16:48

May just be that I´m too used to my old Thrustmaster T16000m, but IMO they both aren´t perfect.

IMO it would be perfect if I had the current springs for roll, but stronger springs for pitch.
It was the opposite for the TM.
Is it harmful to have differnt spring strengths for different axis?

blackram

Postby blackram » Tue Apr 17, 2018 17:13

Gladiator pro comes with different cams and springs. Gladiator non pro (regular one) comes with the lightest spring (even softer than the softest in pro version). That is because of plastic gimbal mechanism. Im not sure, but I suppose that a level stiffer spring (that would be #10 from glad pro) wont hurt the plastic mechanism of gladiator. But if you can take that risk you can order springs fomr VKB. Currently EU store is under maintenance so you must be patient.

But tbh its all matter of getting used to. I used to have T16000 then went to CH Fighterstick and light tension was really odd. Now Im again at the stiffer side with the pro Glad and Im again into the "getting used to mode".

Ron61

Postby Ron61 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 19:08

After replacing the factory springs with stronger ones, on a product not designed for such experiments, do you think the issue of guaranteed service will be relevant?

blackram

Postby blackram » Tue Apr 17, 2018 20:15

You need to ask VKB guys. I suppose not. Then again the same ppl sold warthog extension for a 1kg heavy grip to be used on a plastick base!

Sokol1

Postby Sokol1 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 18:48

Maetharin wrote:May just be that I´m too used to my old Thrustmaster T16000m, but IMO they both aren´t perfect.

IMO it would be perfect if I had the current springs for roll, but stronger springs for pitch.
It was the opposite for the TM.

T.16000M (and Warthog) "ball joint" gimbal use only one compression spring, so the resistance (or force for move grip) is the same in 360 degrees. :mrgreen:

https://i.imgur.com/OcIhdJC.jpg

VKB talk at long time in offer a metal CAM upgrade kit for Gladiator Mk.II "vanilla" (plastic gimbal), who if available allow you customize different "feel" changing springs in X, Y axes. This was pre-announced by some time in vkbcontrollers.com page but after removed. With "demise" of Gladiator's line probable this option was canceled...

Install stronger springs in an plastic made gimbal (Gladiator Mk.II "vanilla") risk in broken anchor points an/or premature wear out the contact parts...

Maetharin

Postby Maetharin » Thu Apr 19, 2018 18:46

Do you think it would be possible to purchase a pro-Gladiator gimbal mechanism?

Because otherwise I do love the Gladiator, I´d just really love to have stiffer springs for pitch!

Return to “VKB FSC Europe”