Questions and answers

Moderator: AdminGroup

nrage147

Re: Questions and answers

Postby nrage147 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 15:49

Bourrinopathe wrote:I didn't find that software either. Only references on several forums, so maybe some users still use it.

You can use the VKB JoyTester to get the resolution info (from any connected device).

Cool, thanks!

Edit: So..
- The M5 I have (revB/3rd ed) has a step of 64 - so is 10-bit.
- My CH Pro Throttle has a step of 256 - so is 8-bit.
Good to know.

nrage147

Postby nrage147 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 13:40

Eduard,

Any chance of some answers?
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=2200&start=30#p22726
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=2200&start=30#p22727

Even if the answer is "We don't know yet".

Kailorn

Postby Kailorn » Mon Aug 29, 2016 20:14

I saw that the Gladiator Pro is finally available at FSC.

Dou you have any eta for the warthog adaptors for the gladiator pro?

Sokol1

Postby Sokol1 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 22:53

JoyRes Tester - from the old, good (and deceased) Sukhoi joystick forum:

http://www.gavca.com/phpBB3/download/file.php?id=193

In the zip some images of test with different joysticks.

nrage147

Postby nrage147 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 23:27

Sokol1 wrote:JoyRes Tester - from the old, good (and deceased) Sukhoi joystick forum:

http://www.gavca.com/phpBB3/download/file.php?id=193

In the zip some images of test with different joysticks.

Thanks!

Eduard VKB FSC

Postby Eduard VKB FSC » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:08

nrage147 wrote:I have a Cobra M5 (RevB/3rd edition) and it has a number of "issues":
- Rudder/yaw does not correctly center, it will sit off center by varying amounts depending on direction of return to center.
- Throttle (not that I use it) does not hit maximum value every time.
- X/Y also do not always hit maximum value.

I've done a bunch of calibration and I have quite a large deadzone on the yaw (currently) to deal with the issues. Would an upgrade to the MaRS and NJoy32 resolve any (all?) of those issues?

Well, I think that yaw axis centering will not be improved as it is just a potentiometer. Current solution you applied (a dead zone) is good enough.
I think you can re-calibrate throttle potentiometer with Cobra standard configuration tool and during calibration you should not move the throttle wheel to the end, just leave it about 10-15% less before reaching the limit. The other option is to replace the potentiometer, I can send you a replacement.

X/Y axis should not give any issues. Usually re-calibration always helps.
Using NJoy32 controller you can control the parameters better and more precise. But if you can re-calibrate with the regular controller and get those axes to get to its maximum value, I would not consider NJoy32 controller only for this purpose.

I hope to get some upgrade kits listed at FSC next week (we do not have gimbal upgrade at the moment).

nrage147 wrote:If so, I would be very interested in those upgrade kits (when available in September) but it would depend a little on cost/shipping and whether it's easy enough (for someone who is no stranger to assembling PCs etc) to fit the kit myself.

Does the metal gimbal upgrade for the M5 still exist? Is this something we can install ourselves? Does this remove/replace the twist yaw? (I don't have pedals at this stage).

I can't tell the pricing at the moment. Metal gimbal upgrade for the M5 is possible to pre-order but I need to check with VKB product unit (Uiv).

nrage147 wrote:Unless, of course, you say that the Gunfighter and jet grip's ETA is sufficiently soon after September that I would be wasting my money, in which case I'll just pick up the base M5 to tide me over, and get the thing I really want as soon as it comes out.

The Gunfighter flightstick is planned to be released this year. Hopefully we could get it in stock by December, otherwise it is the Q1 2017 (hopefully before Chinese New Year). The price will be higher than Gladiator Pro but not significantly. The new jet grip is planned but I have no information when it is planned for. I believe it won't happen this year for sure.

I hope I answered your questions. Please, do not hesitate to ask if I missed anything.
Best regards,
Eduard
VKB FSC Europe
VKB store in Europe - http://flightsimcontrols.com

RecklessPrudence

Postby RecklessPrudence » Wed Aug 31, 2016 14:34

What upgrades would you recommend, to give the best experience? Ideally I'd grab them all, but assuming I don't have that kind of cash when they become available, which of the three are most important, and which is least important? Does it go sensors > gimbal > controller, or some other order? How easy are the upgrades to install, assuming I'm competent with assembling a desktop computer out of parts purchased, but not too much more than that?

Thanks for the time you spend answering these.

nrage147

Postby nrage147 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 16:21

Eduard VKB FSC wrote:Well, I think that yaw axis centering will not be improved as it is just a potentiometer. Current solution you applied (a dead zone) is good enough.

Ah, I thought one of the upgrade options included new parts for this.. new sensors (MARS)? Sounds like the existing potentiometer is not replaced?

In actuality after a bit of use this issue has "gone away", I think perhaps the potentiometer might just have been a bit "sticky" to start with.. if that's a thing which is possible.

Eduard VKB FSC wrote:I think you can re-calibrate throttle potentiometer with Cobra standard configuration tool and during calibration you should not move the throttle wheel to the end, just leave it about 10-15% less before reaching the limit. The other option is to replace the potentiometer, I can send you a replacement.

This is what I've done. And, as I don't really use the throttle on the joystick it's not really an issue I am too concerned about. Thanks.

Eduard VKB FSC wrote:X/Y axis should not give any issues. Usually re-calibration always helps.

Yep, as with the throttle I can calibrate the difference away. It's such a minor difference anyway that it's not noticeable in-game. Thanks.

Eduard VKB FSC wrote:I hope to get some upgrade kits listed at FSC next week (we do not have gimbal upgrade at the moment).

Ok, I am interested in the price and shipping costs for those, will check them out.

Eduard VKB FSC wrote:I can't tell the pricing at the moment. Metal gimbal upgrade for the M5 is possible to pre-order but I need to check with VKB product unit (Uiv).

Ok, thanks.

Eduard VKB FSC wrote:The new jet grip is planned but I have no information when it is planned for. I believe it won't happen this year for sure.

Not to worry, I am more or less happy with the M5 for the moment.

Ideally I want another option, like the Gladiator, but with more buttons on the stick itself (not on the base of the unit). Ideally it would have a good gimbal, but also twist (this may be a contradictory requirement - as many who want a good gimbal do not want twist due to the issues with unintended input). Ideally it would have the MARS and NJOY internals and other good electronic hardware. Ideally it would be competitive with the x52 and new Thrustmaster HOTAS range (while only being a single stick). I can dream..

pretagonist

Postby pretagonist » Thu Sep 01, 2016 16:39

As a spacesimer would also love a manybuttoned stick with a serious gimbal and twist. As a dual-stick user I would love it even more if there were lefty alternatives as well.

I keep waiting for someone to make such a stick so that I can throw money at them but at the moment all the serious stick makers like VKB are focusing on the flight sim crowd.

I mostly use VR so the buttons on the base are meaningless to me, I'd much rather have a slim small footprint base that can be mounted on a plate or similar. If no one steps up and makes these kinds of sticks i guess I'll just have to wait for the 3d printers to become good/cheap enough.

RecklessPrudence

Postby RecklessPrudence » Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:55

Welp, I've ordered my M5! Decided against getting the upgrades for now - money's unfortunately a factor (although obviously not enough of one to prevent me from getting a new stick!). It'll last me until the Gunfighter with jet grip comes out, then I'll grab that - I'll be in a better financial position by then, so I'll be able to actually afford it, too!

And now to wait for my new joystick!

...I want it to be here already.

nrage147

Postby nrage147 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:29

RecklessPrudence wrote:...I want it to be here already.

I know that feeling!

RecklessPrudence

Postby RecklessPrudence » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:24

nrage147 wrote:
RecklessPrudence wrote:...I want it to be here already.

I know that feeling!

Well, it may not be here already, but I woke up this morning (eleven and a half hours ago, at 5:45am, for Uni) with a message that the Dutch post office had received the pre-alert almost three hours earlier. At this rate, I might get my joystick (ordered September 2nd) before my new case and foam for wargaming minis (ordered July 3rd, still not shipped) - I should really poke them again, see if I can get my order to leave Arizona, at least, even if it doesn't leave the US before my M5 arrives.

It's a race where the other guy has almost a full two-month head start, and FSC is winning!

...I should really pick less expensive hobbies.

pretagonist

Postby pretagonist » Tue Sep 06, 2016 16:41

PC gaming and sim gaming isn't really that expensive in the long run. Not compared to motorcycle racing, sailing and similar hobbies.
=)

RecklessPrudence

Postby RecklessPrudence » Tue Sep 06, 2016 18:44

pretagonist wrote:PC gaming and sim gaming isn't really that expensive in the long run. Not compared to motorcycle racing, sailing and similar hobbies.
=)

Well yeah - I guess I should have said "compared to my income". I'm a Uni student on a disability pension - hope to be a gainfully employed member of society once I finish my degree, but until then...

And really, out of the two? Miniature gaming is more expensive and more time-consuming. By a fair bit, actually.

Gutser

Postby Gutser » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:54

Actually I´m satisfied with my Conbra M5. Just the yaw axis, the potentiometer is flickering to the left and its getting worse (hope to get a spare part here).

So, I´m realy looking forward to the Gunfighter with K12 Grip. Does the Gunfighter will have a good yaw axis?

Return to “VKB FSC Europe”