Can the STECS do this?

Moderator: AdminGroup

Tasky

Can the STECS do this?

Postby Tasky » Wed Apr 10, 2024 14:20

Hi all,

I'm considering upgrading to some VKB kit from my old CH Products stuff and was considering a STECS Max. Could I put the STEM module behind the base, the ATEM behind the STEM, and then an FSM-GA up front on the MFH?
Would that all work?

Thanks,
Tasky.

Delta

Re: Can the STECS do this?

Postby Delta » Wed Apr 10, 2024 17:52

You mean like this?
Sure, it just requires custom extension cables (beware, Picoblade is a major PitB to crimp, so tty to get pigtails if possible) and a custom mounting solution. And lots of flexibility in your left arm to reach back far enough.

Kageseigi

Postby Kageseigi » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:54

Ah, I'm sorry to jump into the thread, but I'm curious.
Does the ATEM fit in front of the STEM naturally like that?
If I ordered a STECS Max and a standard baseplate, would I need anything else to connect them like that to the front of the STECS itself?
Thanks! :-D

Delta

Postby Delta » Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:41

As I said, custom mounting solution and custom extension cables. I am actually using the mini plus baseplate there, have to be shorter than the STEM to let the wires through and allow the ATEM to snuggle up this close.

Tasky

Postby Tasky » Fri Apr 12, 2024 16:45

Delta wrote:You mean like this?
Sure, it just requires custom extension cables (beware, Picoblade is a major PitB to crimp, so tty to get pigtails if possible) and a custom mounting solution. And lots of flexibility in your left arm to reach back far enough.

Wow... Yeah, like that!!
I presume the FSM-GA and SEM-V each need their own GNX USB controller?

Delta

Postby Delta » Fri Apr 12, 2024 20:25

The FSM can hook into the bus port with the USB Type-C cable. The SEM... it could probably hook into the bus as well with a JST-to-USB-C cable coming off the FSM, but that would severely limit what button modules you can use on the STECS grip before you run into the 16-register limit. One HID board is definitely a good idea.

I am actually trying to replace the MFH with something that attaches to the mount and does not protude as far forward, though. The plastic legs are not designed to work without the metal plate resting on solid ground, so the whole setup is a lot more wobbly than it needs to be. And the SEM is almost useless in that spot, being both hard to reach and completely unsecured.

Tasky

Postby Tasky » Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:43

I presume the STEMs and SEMs can't attach to the side of the STECS like they do with the NXT system?

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:31

No modules could get attached to the sides of the STECS the way the Gladiator NXT allows. The only way to get modules attached to the STECS is by MFH.

Tasky

Postby Tasky » Sat Apr 27, 2024 13:24

Ah, that's a shame. I have plenty of desk space for sideways expansion!

Return to “General discussions”