Confused about upgrade path

Moderator: AdminGroup

Grinddude

Confused about upgrade path

Postby Grinddude » Fri Dec 01, 2023 19:06

Hello.I own a Gunfighter MCG Ultimate with twist (XT2). Based on this https://www.vkbcontrollers.com/blogs/news/gunfighter-iv-base-only-and-grip-upgrade-kits-available-now post, I have the following questions:

a) How do I find out if my HOTAS is revision B or C? If all MCG Ultimate with twist models are revision B, is this the correct upgrade adapter https://www.vkbcontrollers.com/products/mcg-pro-ultimate-grip-uupgrade-kit-revb-to-revc-with-twist-adapter ($39)?

b) After above upgrade is completed, do I need to buy the Gunfighter IV base only kit https://www.vkbcontrollers.com/products/gunfighter-iv-base-only as well (another $279)? The base of my HOTAS looks the same compared to the one pictured, but it might not be compatible after the upgrade.

c) After the upgrade is completed, will my GF MCG Ultimate with twist grip be equivalent to GF IV ‘Modern Combat Edition’ Ultimate grip? If not, why?

Thanks

Grinddude

Re: Confused about upgrade path

Postby Grinddude » Sat Dec 02, 2023 19:38

Can someone from VKB support respond? I want to order the upgrade parts. Thanks.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Sun Dec 03, 2023 22:23

Check your grip at the bottom, where it connects to the base - if there 3 flat contact pads it's RevA; if there are 3 small pins, then it's RevB. RevC has an audio jack.
In order to upgrade to Gunfighter MKIV you will need the base and black box pack that you linked plus the RevB to RevC connector which you also linked. This will get you a full MKIV system, no need for anything else.

neok23

Postby neok23 » Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:25

I CANT see a proper base upgrade pack that upgrades to an mk4 that is identical with the stand alone version.

When is this coming?

Grinddude

Postby Grinddude » Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:01

fallout9 wrote:Check your grip at the bottom, where it connects to the base - if there 3 flat contact pads it's RevA; if there are 3 small pins, then it's RevB. RevC has an audio jack.
In order to upgrade to Gunfighter MKIV you will need the base and black box pack that you linked plus the RevB to RevC connector which you also linked. This will get you a full MKIV system, no need for anything else.

Your description is not very clear. Have a look ar the attached pics. Is this revision A or B?
Attachments
IMG_3291.jpeg
IMG_3290.jpeg

WWCraven

Postby WWCraven » Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:42

@Grinddude, you need to take the stick off of the base to check the contacts as fallout9 indicted in his response.

Grinddude

Postby Grinddude » Mon Dec 11, 2023 18:25

fallout9 wrote:Check your grip at the bottom, where it connects to the base - if there 3 flat contact pads it's RevA; if there are 3 small pins, then it's RevB. RevC has an audio jack.

Fallout9 I removed the stick. Based on the pics, is this RevA or RevB? Thanks.
Attachments
IMG_3316.jpeg
IMG_3317.jpeg

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Mon Dec 11, 2023 20:27

That's a RevB system. If you want to upgrade to a RevC system (the latest) you'll need the following:
1. Gunfighter IV - Base Only
2. MCG Ultimate Grip Upgrade Kit (RevB to RevC) - with Twist Adapter

With these, you'll have to open up the grip, swap the twist adapter, then you're on a RevC Gunfighter MKIV system.
We'll provide at some point a base upgrade too (from Gunfighter MKI/II/III to IV), but the time of release is unknown at this time. (@neok23)

Grinddude

Postby Grinddude » Mon Dec 11, 2023 21:40

Thank you for your response. I'm a bit confused with your statement "We'll provide at some point a base upgrade too (from Gunfighter MKI/II/III to IV), but the time of release is unknown at this time". If I buy Gunfighter IV - Base Only won't my GF MK III Ultimate be converter to IV Ultimate? Are you referring to a different base? I don't want to buy a base now if a better upgrade will be available in the near future.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Mon Dec 11, 2023 22:03

If you buy a brand new GFIV base you won't need the base upgrade. The base upgrade, when it will be made available, will just allow the user to keep some of the base's original parts (MKI/II/III), like the case, dust cover, cams etc in order to upgrade to GFIV.

Drano

Postby Drano » Wed Dec 13, 2023 18:07

I was considering updating my OG RevA GF MKI (upgraded to MKIII PCB), with MCG-Pro and 200mm Extension to the new RevC connection standard. Not looking like that's all possible ATM. Am I just missing it? If I'm not, will that be possible in the future? Thanks.
Gunfighter MkI w/MkIII update + MCG-Pro Grip
Avia S Cams
2x #30A Springs
FW:v2.13F
Devconfig: v92.78
Zbootloader: v2.01

Asus Strix X570-E Gaming
Ryzen9 5800X3D
Asus Strix 3080 12GB
32GB Corsair Vengeance PC3600
EVGA G6 1000W
Reverb G2V2
Win10/64

Mr WHIMington

Postby Mr WHIMington » Thu Dec 28, 2023 15:12

fallout9 wrote:If you buy a brand new GFIV base you won't need the base upgrade. The base upgrade, when it will be made available, will just allow the user to keep some of the base's original parts (MKI/II/III), like the case, dust cover, cams etc in order to upgrade to GFIV.

Quite honestly, the only thing I need is a conversion kit to make my GFIII base to accept a REV.C LH space grip when I re-purpose it into GA use (Yes yes I am a "bus" driver, whatever) while I change my MCGU into Rev C connector for a new GFIV base, I really do not want to turn the GFIII base into a 200 dollor paper weight. :cry:

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Thu Dec 28, 2023 23:02

And that's exactly why we'll provide what you need, a RevC connector which will sit on top of the base, just wait a bit.

Return to “General discussions”