STECS Modules (ATEM and STEM) Can Be Used On Their Own?

Moderator: AdminGroup

BiasedBill

STECS Modules (ATEM and STEM) Can Be Used On Their Own?

Postby BiasedBill » Tue Oct 03, 2023 22:40

I was wondering if the modules for the STECS can be used on their own. Would be nice if they could be used just as an additional panel.

If not, any plans of it being possible to do so?

fallout9

Re: STECS Modules (ATEM and STEM) Can Be Used On Their Own?

Postby fallout9 » Wed Oct 04, 2023 0:27

Only the STEM could be used in combination with other NXT modules, but not by itself.

Easty79

Postby Easty79 » Sat Nov 25, 2023 22:28

That's a shame.

I really like the VKB ability to assign keyboard keys to buttons within the VKB OS. I'd happily sell my Virpil panels (which can't do that) and replace them with STEM and a GNX SEM-V! Don't want to buy a whole new throttle just to do this though.

You should look at changing this in the future, might get a few more sales :)

Delta

Postby Delta » Sun Nov 26, 2023 3:22

Depending on how you arrange them, you might use the SEM as your USB controller and then wire in the STEM from that with the JST-to-USB cable.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Sun Nov 26, 2023 5:52

That would definitely work.

einnyen

Postby einnyen » Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:09

To add on to this; The STEM can NOT be connected through a gladiator base, correct?

I really want those sweet, sweet encoders for mining/salvaging head movements in Star Citizen.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:21

My statement above is old news. Now the STEM could get connected directly to a Gladiator base, but still can't get attached to it like native NXT modules. I mean, it could get attached, but only through a NXT module and a MFH.
Why doesn't SEM work for you? You get 2 full axes on it and at least 1 could be used for mining.

einnyen

Postby einnyen » Thu Jan 18, 2024 19:21

That’s a valid suggestion and it would mount to the ucm from what it looks like. To be honest I just really like the look of the STEM, but as I have dual gladiators, one with the ota attachment, I didn’t see the utility of going for a full throttle setup. Although if it would have been available two years ago it would have been ideal.

Delta

Postby Delta » Fri Jan 19, 2024 0:37

Also note that the cable that VKB provides for this sort of connection could get a little taut, since it is limiting where you could mount the STEM. Same would apply to any vertical module placed ahead of the stick, though.

einnyen

Postby einnyen » Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:44

That is why they make heat shrink, and solder. ;)

AlpineGTA

Postby AlpineGTA » Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:01

I would like to do a similar thing. I want to swap the STEM on my STECS Standard with a ATEM and use the STEM separately as a control panel. I have a Gladiator K with a SYS port, is there any way it can be connected to that? Or is the only way to buy a SEM and a USB controller and connect the STEM to that?

Delta

Postby Delta » Mon Feb 05, 2024 14:44

You can connect STEM to the bus port on your STECS using a mounting system or a GNX-MFH, which would replicate the STECS Max configuration. Or use something like a SEM or THQ as the base module. Anything else will require custom fabrication, but once you enter that domain, the possibilities are endless.

Running off the Sys port on the Gladiator K should be possible, but requires both custom fabricated cables and a lot of manual setup on your stick to get all the buttons on the STEM exposed. Not for the faint of heart, such a project.

AlpineGTA

Postby AlpineGTA » Mon Feb 05, 2024 17:56

Thanks for the reply.
I don't really want to mirror the STECS Max configuration. I just want to swap the STEM with the ATEM and continue to use the SEM-V mounted in front of my throttle on the MFH. The custom fabrication is a bit beyond me, so it looks like the easiest option is to buy another MFH and another SEM with a USB controller and connect the STEM to that. It's a pity they don't make it possible to put a USB controller into a STEM so it can be used as a stand-alone control panel. But thanks again for the reply.

Delta

Postby Delta » Tue Feb 06, 2024 0:39

Where are you planning to place the STEM in the config you had in mind? It may be possible to run a JST-to-Type-C bus cable off the SEM-V and use a USB3 Type-C extension (USB2 will most likely not work, USB3 is not guaranteed to work but probably will) to extend this to whereever you want to place your STEM.

AlpineGTA

Postby AlpineGTA » Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:44

I was planning to mount the STEM on a MFH holder, like on a STECS Max, but on it's own on my right hand side.
I've already ordered the ATEM module and another MFH and USB controller. Thanks for the suggestion, but for simplicity I'm just going to convert my throttle to a Max configuration using the ATEM and STEM modules, move my SEM-V to my right hand side on the new MFH, insert the USB controller into it, so I can plug it directly to my PC and I'll see how I get on with that setup for now. So I'll have a STECS Max on my left and the SEM-V on my right.

Return to “General discussions”