Question About Purchasing STECS Switches

Moderator: AdminGroup

Str][ker

Question About Purchasing STECS Switches

Postby Str][ker » Wed Sep 06, 2023 23:07

I was advised to ask this here..

I recently took delivery of my new STECS Max and I really love it! I do have a question (and I know others have been wondering about this as well). Can I purchase a set of two boat rocker switches? I prefer them for some specific functions and unfortunately my STECS only shipped with one. I did make a video about my STECS experience and had some commentary from several people lamenting the lack of these switch types.

Secondly, does VKB sell different style TDC / POV hats? The one on the STECS is the cone shape and I would much prefer a flat or better yet, slightly concave style to rest my thumb in while slewing the TDC cursor around on screen (such as the on included in the TDC mod kit for the Thrustmaster Warthog throttle). A flat cap would also facilitate a press much better as it will better translate straight down instead of offsetting the position slightly, thus moving the TDC cursor.

fallout9

Re: Question About Purchasing STECS Switches

Postby fallout9 » Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:31

Please fill up a service ticket with your request.

Gussy

Postby Gussy » Fri Sep 08, 2023 19:18

It doesn't come with some different hats for the analogue stick in the accessory magazine??

Str][ker

Postby Str][ker » Fri Sep 08, 2023 20:25

It does come with hats but only for the buttons, not the mini-stick (Throttle Designator Controller). The mini stick is just the pointy one which is terrible if you need to depress it since it typically results in moving the position of the stick. The hole for mounting the mini stick cap is larger as well.
The hats do fit the other 4 directional (plus press) switches and I have used up all of the castle style caps and am left with one of the rounded conical shaped ones which I don't care for.

Gussy

Postby Gussy » Sat Sep 09, 2023 19:29

Damn I assumed they'd all be interchangeable

Str][ker

Postby Str][ker » Sat Sep 09, 2023 21:23

It would be ideal to include a flat type with some kind of raised surface indicating the UP direction. I get a little mixed up when the throttle is moved forward and UP and now Forward etc. They should have left the mini-stick where it usually is in military aircraft throttles, on the front of the throttle near the left to be operated with the middle finger but it is what it is and I'm learning to use it under my thumb.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Mon Sep 11, 2023 21:44

We took notice of both issues - the shape of the hat cap and the position of the ministick; we'll see what could be done in order to adapt to customers' requests.

Nice video btw! Thank you :)

Str][ker

Postby Str][ker » Mon Sep 11, 2023 23:36

Awesome! Thank you for the response and compliments on the video. It was fun making it and learning how to configure the throttle.

Bit

Postby Bit » Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:28

fallout9 wrote:We took notice of both issues - the shape of the hat cap and the position of the ministick; we'll see what could be done in order to adapt to customers' requests.

Nice video btw! Thank you :)

Hey fallout9! How are you? Just got STECS Mini Plus and happy to say that QA this time around is perfect! Love it :mrgreen: . However I have to agree with op on the mini stick, the hat is just awful. it would be nice to have it mounted on the front like Str][ker said or have something like this https://deltasimelectronics.com/cdn/sho ... 1676319118
Thanks

Rocky49

Postby Rocky49 » Fri Oct 06, 2023 21:25

I am also having a real problem using the Mini Stick on my STEC Standard. The hat shape is not very comfortable plus I can't seem to move it smoothly and accurately
Would It be possible to order a replacement hat shaped with a concave top?

Reapinator

Postby Reapinator » Sat Oct 07, 2023 20:39

I would like to add my vote to this pile...Tempted to take my dremel to the pointed hat.

Str][ker

Postby Str][ker » Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:38

Any idea when we can buy more three way switches? One nice thing would be to make one of them positional in that it will stay in whatever position it's placed into. (forward, middle, aft for example). If not that, I would love to get a couple more three position switches just to get a better feel for the various buttons.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:07

Noted, already working on that.

mattcaron

Postby mattcaron » Sun Oct 15, 2023 22:32

Reapinator wrote:I would like to add my vote to this pile...Tempted to take my dremel to the pointed hat.

I don't have one, but is the hat removable?

I wonder if a 3d print would work here.

Str][ker

Postby Str][ker » Sun Oct 15, 2023 22:36

Hi! Yes the hat on the TDC / mini stick is removable and a 3-D printed one would be doable. I don’t have any knowledge around doing that so maybe someone else will go through the efforts to make one and make it available to the public.
The hats on all of the swappable buttons are removable as well so you can put different hats on each of the 5-way switches.

Return to “General discussions”