Now that TECS and GF MK IV are (almost, kinda, sorta) here:

Moderator: AdminGroup

1sascha

Now that TECS and GF MK IV are (almost, kinda, sorta) here:

Postby 1sascha » Tue Jul 18, 2023 13:50

Since I'm not planning on changing out my throttle for a fourth time in under a year, this is more of a question regarding the GF Mk IV:

Is there any info out there yet re upgrades/changes to the gimbal, etc?

Will there be grip compatibility between Mks III and IV? Meaning: If I bought a MCGU today for my Mk III would it also fit the Mk IV gimbal?

Also: Will there be some sort of upgrade kit to bring the Mk III gimbal to Mk IV standard?

That is all... :)

S.

DeadWalking

Re: Now that TECS and GF MK IV are (almost, kinda, sorta) here:

Postby DeadWalking » Tue Jul 18, 2023 14:21

It was interesting to see the mention of the GF MKIV in the new teaser vid.

The only info I saw so far was
"More info to come"

That being said. I would expect the Grips to be compatible as is for the new GF base.
Though that could backfire on me.

I am also curious about the changes between the two bases.
The upgrade kit inquiry is a good question.

1sascha

Postby 1sascha » Wed Jul 19, 2023 16:44

In answer to my own question(s):

https://www.reddit.com/r/hotas/comments ... utm_term=1

Be prepared... this is a pretty long and extensive post, covering both the TECS/STECS and GF Mk IV.

Some highlights I caught while skimming through:

Throttle will come in four different configs from "Mini" to "Max". Price range starts at $199 and ends at $319 - I guess these will be US prices, excluding shipping cost. Availability: August 2023.

I haven't quite figured out how their detents work, but, like I said, I've only skimmed through the post thus far.

Stick-wise...:

GF Mk IV will have:

- next gen clutch ("smoother, more precise operation")
- revised grip/gimbal connector
-spring pre-load/pre-tighteners
- new BlackBox Mk III, which will eliminate the need to manually re-flash when changing grips

Also:

Current Gunfighter III owners are not left behind though; two upgrade for them will soon be rolled out:

Connector replacement kit, and

Full upgrade kit GF III -> GF IV

Availability: Late July 2023 and apparently a shipment of Mk IVs is already on its way to the EU warehouse.

S.

anton.em

Postby anton.em » Thu Jul 20, 2023 16:09

Do we need upgrade kit for extension as well, considering there will be new contact?

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Thu Jul 20, 2023 17:15

Definitely, we'll list all parts on websites as soon as everything is ready.

1sascha

Postby 1sascha » Thu Jul 20, 2023 17:36

anton.em wrote:Do we need upgrade kit for extension as well, considering there will be new contact?

Fallout already covered it, but:

I couldn't see a pic of the grip part of the connector, but they did post one of the gimbal-side:

Looks quite different than the contact-pad on my Mk III gimbal.

S.

1sascha

Postby 1sascha » Mon Jul 24, 2023 14:41

Since I started it anyway, I'm going to use this thread to share some of my thoughts and further questions re the GF Mk III to Mk IV upgrade:

We already know that Mk IV will get:

- a new Black Box (ver III)
- new/improved clutch design
- spring pre-tensioners
- new grip-to-gimbal connection

VKB have announced a grip-connection upgrade kit and a full upgrade kit, and I was wondering what the full kit will include - and how much work will be required to perform the upgrade. Plus if that full upgrade will be doable for folks like me who would only rate as "fair" when it comes to DIY-skills.. :D

We can assume that the full upgrade kit will require some pretty substantial changes to pretty much all of the interior of the Mk III ...

1. Clutches: Not sure how deep the changes go, but I'm going to assume we'll have to at least swap out the brake-pads. I don't see how we could do any more in-depth work like changing the "barrels", but I'm just guessing here.
2. Electronics: Seeing how Mk IV will come with a new BB and judging from the GF Mk II to Mk III kit, I'll assume we'll have to swap both PCBs on the gimbal?

Both of which isn't too bad, considering you have to mess with almost all of that stuff if you want to, say, re-grease the clutches on the Mk III.

but then comes
3. Spring pre-tensioners. I'm not sure how exactly those will be implemented, but looking at this pic, I think it's safe to assume that the non-cam attachment points for the springs (to the left of the spring in the pic) look quite a bit different from the Mk III's much simpler attachment points:

4. Grip connector would probably be comparable to swapping out a faulty connector-pad on a Mk III-gimbal and routing the cable to the PCB ... plus having to do some additional work on the grip? Not sure about the grip-part though.

In any case and before this gets even longer... I'll repeat my initial questions: Will the complete upgrade leave us with a "true" Mk IV GF after it's done (meaning will all the new features be included in the upgrade)? And is it something a semi-butterfingered individual such as myself can be expected to perform on his own?

Thanks!

Sascha

Drano

Postby Drano » Mon Jul 24, 2023 17:34

I'd be interested in the MkIV upgrade kit but wonder if it'll be compatible with my OG MkI/RevA base? I've had the thing apart more than a couple of times already having done the PCB upgrade from MkI to MkIII a couple of years back and other general maintenance. I've even had to switch up some of the wires in the little white connectors. If it's something that rhymes with that, I have no problems. It'd be great to have a consolodated firmware for everything.
Gunfighter MkI w/MkIII update + MCG-Pro Grip
Avia S Cams
2x #30A Springs
FW:v2.13F
Devconfig: v92.78
Zbootloader: v2.01

Asus Strix X570-E Gaming
Ryzen9 5800X3D
Asus Strix 3080 12GB
32GB Corsair Vengeance PC3600
EVGA G6 1000W
Reverb G2V2
Win10/64

Loki.mir

Postby Loki.mir » Tue Aug 29, 2023 17:38

Hi!
Any update regarding MCGU (the one sold up until now) socket compatibility with the GF MKIV? And by MCGU i mean the grip attached to a 200mm extension! The MCGU has a REV.B connector. When will i be able to buy a converter to the REV.C of the GF MK IV? Do i even need one? Obviously yes since in the extension page it clearly says not compatible with GFIV. If the extension isn't compatible neither can be the grip since by definition they have the same socket.

2nd question
When will i be able to buy the base (GF MKIV) w/o grip?

Bonus question!
What about the adapter for Thrustmaster grips? Should we wait for a new version for the mkIV or just buy a current one and use another rev.b to rev.c socket converter?

Thank you! :o

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Wed Aug 30, 2023 8:08

If you already have a Gunfighter MKIV it doesn't make sense to get a MCGU RevB and a RevC connector; in short time we'll provide the MCGU in RevC too, as well as extensions. About the same time we'll list the base only.
We haven't decided yet on the TM adapter, as it's not very popular, so you might need to use a RevC adapter on it; just ask before buying when the time comes.

Loki.mir

Postby Loki.mir » Wed Aug 30, 2023 16:06

it's the other way around, sorry if i didn't make it more clear. I bought a couple of months ago the MCGU grip (along with the 200mm ext), which obviously had the REV.B. Now i'd love to buy the GF MKIV base (when, as you said, you will list it standalone). Will you offer an adapter that's able to convert the rev.B (of the extension, in my case) into a rev.C ?

Thanks again!

Edit.
so you might need to use a RevC adapter

That! There you go. Are you going to release such a revB to revC adapter ?

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:45

Speak with your local vendor, ask them to send the RevB extension back and receive a RevC extension instead. For the grip you'll need a new tail/connector for RevC and with the new base you'll have the whole thing RevC native, no adapters.

Loki.mir

Postby Loki.mir » Thu Aug 31, 2023 14:08

Thanks for the reply.
So you mean i should actually ask VKB for a return, send you guys back this

so you can send me back a Rev.C extension when you make it?? :shock:

And then buy a "connector" for RevC for the grip, that adapts its RevB to the RevC of the extension?

I don't get it, though... if i can buy a connector for RevC for the MCGU (RevB) grip why not just attach it to the extension (below, ofc, where it attaches to the gunfighter), since they (the extension and the grip) are obviously both RevB (and the grip is already happily attached to the extension)?

and then yes just buy and connect all to the GF MKIV which obviously is RevC.

Or maybe i should just send you back both the extension and the grip?

Return to “General discussions”