VKB Gunfighter - Twist Option

Moderator: AdminGroup

dotPhi

VKB Gunfighter - Twist Option

Postby dotPhi » Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:34

Hi,

Is this axis contactless? Does it affect the rigidity of the stick, or is it still solid? I'm debating whether to add this option (even though it will be locked out most of the time) or not.

What are the resolution of the main X/Y stick axis? +/- 65535 from center?

Are the other axis all contactless as well? e.g. Brake handle?

Are the ministicks contactless?

Thank you!

Ron61

Re: VKB Gunfighter - Twist Option

Postby Ron61 » Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:56

All axes are non-contact, on Mars sensors.

dotPhi

Postby dotPhi » Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:19

Great!

How heavy is the grip part? I'm comparing to WH stick as that is what I use currently. I like the mass.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:03

The heaviest grip in our lineup, MCG Ultimate, is about half as heavy as the WH. But the base is different, so you really don't need heavy grips to fight against that horrendous spring on the TM base. "I got a GunFighter base and I miss the WH base", said no one ever.

dotPhi

Postby dotPhi » Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:55

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Is there a base plate available for the stick? I'm not in the most optimum state to mount anything, so I currently sit the stick freely on a small table next to me. Is the Gunfighter stable enough in that situation?

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 22:26

That depends on your flight style - for small and calm adjustments it should be fine, but shaking it all over it will definitely make the plate (yes, there is a desk plate included) lift from the desk. The mounts are are highly recommended for both joystick stability and for ergonomy - your hand won't get tired so fast if the joystick is in a proper position (chest level or even lower - this position can't get achieved if it's sitting on a desktop).

dotPhi

Postby dotPhi » Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:00

It's NOT sat on a desk. I can't stand that for more than 5 seconds! :D The table is slightly lower than the chair so it is very comfortable.

I don't slam the stick around. If I push the stick to full deflection, is it wanting to tip over? I guess that is a better question. I'm not beyond getting some 1 kg weights and sitting them on the base as well to add stability. :D

Also: does the twist option affect rigidity of the stick at all? I'm debating whether to opt for it or not (I have your T-Rudder pedals which are outstanding). I'd likely just be locking it off anyway, and would prefer a stable stick over the functionality.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:25

There other ways to securely attach the base to the desk, like using velcro, 2 sides adhesive bands or simply screwing it down.
Again, it's hard to predict if it's going to tilt, as it depends on many terms, especially user approach and how heavy the springs are. The twist wouldn't affect that in any way though.

dotPhi

Postby dotPhi » Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:13

My question about twist was entirely seperate.

From what I've seen, it sits at the bottom of the stick, and obviously is designed to permit motion around the Z axis. What I would like to know is whether this has any play in it that can be felt in the X/Y axis. My gut feeling is skip the option.

1sascha

Postby 1sascha » Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:19

I've never used my GF's desktop baseplate, but based on my experience with the Gladiator "on the desk" and with the TM FLCS Pro I've used waaaay back when:

If you really want to use it like that, there's no way of getting around some sort of fastener to secure it to the desk. I would recommend that super heavy duty, plastic-on-plastic velcro stuff 3M sell. They call it "Dual Lock", IIRC:

It's a lot stronger than any of the more traditional fabric-on-plastic velcro that I've ever tried. TM used to include this stuff on their rather stiffly sprung FLCS Pro I used in the 90s, because you couldn't have used the stick without it (super strong springs + relatively small footprint of the stick's base). In fact, it's so strong that you need to insert something like a butter-knife between the two layers to get them to separate.

On my Gladiator with 30 on Y, 20 on X, regular "heavy duty" velcro was just about enough to hold it reliably to the desk, but I seriously doubt it would be enough for the GF with medium/strong to strong springs installed. Plus I generally wouldn't recommend the GF or any stick like it in this setup, but I especially wouldn't recommend it with an MCG-equipped GF. It might work with shorter grips like the KG-12 or SCG, but I don't see how you'd get satisfactory ergo from a longer stick with lots of buttons/hats at the top of the grip when the base isn't mounted. That's one of the reasons why I never understood the appeal of the TM WH-grip - until I used one mounted. In the desktop role, that grip felt at least one size too large for my hands - in part because it *is* a large grip but also because I couldn't get a good grip on it with the stick sitting on a desk.

With these grips being modeled on RL flight-sticks, they aren't meant to be manipulated with the hand coming from below the stick (I think)... but rather with the hand at the same level of the stick's top or even coming from slightly above the stick. Which is more or less what you can achieve when you mount the stick to your desk.

S.

Return to “General discussions”