Anyone running Gunfighter with 200 mm extension and Avia H (Hard) cams?

Moderator: AdminGroup

dburne

Anyone running Gunfighter with 200 mm extension and Avia H (Hard) cams?

Postby dburne » Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:42

I am running my Gunfighter Pro with Ultimate Grip and 200 mm extension with Avia S (soft) cams. I now have a #50 I believe and #40 spring on each axis, trying to get the stick to center properly each time. It is pretty much there now, but roll has just a little differential but so small not concern me now.

But - even with this I find the stick to be oh so soft around the middle of movement, and it does not get stout until about 2/3rd of the way through and then man it gets really stout. I am wondering if all this softness around the middle is part of my problem in learning air to air refueling in the Hornet - I really do not know.

So anyway my question - is there anyone in here running the Gunfighter Pro with 200mm extension and the Avia H (hard) cams? And if so how do you like it? I really would rather not dig back in again to do cam replacements based on nothing more than to just try it and see. At least not if I have too LOL. Any feedback would be much appreciated! I took the gimbal apart earlier this morning just to put a stronger spring on pitch axis as that was the one not centering properly, got it all back together and that fixed that but then my roll axis was no longer centering properly - so had to go back in and do the same springs on it - guess they like the spring strengths being the same on both axis.

Really not wanting to take it all apart yet again if it won't be worth making the change. I do not think I ever tried the hard cams so I really have no idea how they would be. For me currently there is just so much softness all around a significant portion of the middle. But maybe that is a good thing who knows.

fallout9

Re: Anyone running Gunfighter with 200 mm extension and Avia H (Hard) cams?

Postby fallout9 » Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:45

dburne wrote:But - even with this I find the stick to be oh so soft around the middle of movement, and it does not get stout until about 2/3rd of the way through and then man it gets really stout.

This is normal behavior, the Avia cams provide a relaxed curve around the first half so you won't have to permanently fight against the springs while aiming or adjusting flight and a more abrupt curve towards the end, which replicates air resistance. The difference between the Soft and Hard cams are the detents - the Soft cams have softer center and axes detents, Hard cams well... harder (more pregnant when you release the grip at center and when you cross axes detents). The difference between Avia and Space cams is that the Avia cams have a more aggressive curve by the end of range for reasons explained above and the Space cams are more linear, as in space there's no air resistance.

dburne wrote:I took the gimbal apart earlier this morning just to put a stronger spring on pitch axis as that was the one not centering properly, got it all back together and that fixed that but then my roll axis was no longer centering properly - so had to go back in and do the same springs on it - guess they like the spring strengths being the same on both axis.

Changing springs on an axis would not affect the other axis. But once the base was opened and stuff changed inside the joystick needs to get recalibrated when put back together.

I suggest to try Space Soft cams with a #50 and a #40 on each axis and tighten a but the dampers on pitch and roll. Here's the guide on replacing springs and cams.

dburne

Re: Anyone running Gunfighter with 200 mm extension and Avia H (Hard) cams?

Postby dburne » Sun Aug 21, 2022 15:15

Yes I always recalibrate after making changes in the gimbal. And I always reference those guides. You can't calibrate out slop where the stick does not return to center physically, again it was not until I added the same spring strengths to the other axis that this got better.
Perhaps I will have a look at the space cams, going to leave it as is for now and fly for a while and see how I get along with it. Thanks for the feedback.
Edit: Also with these soft center cams no point in trying to use the clutches as they will also cause stick to not return to center properly.

Return to “General discussions”