Newbie question for which Joystick to buy

Moderator: AdminGroup

BrianBanzai

Newbie question for which Joystick to buy

Postby BrianBanzai » Wed Aug 10, 2022 22:58

I have a few questions I was hoping someone could help me with in deciding the right joystick to buy.

I am 55 years old, I am a VERY casual gamer and not very good at most games. Super advanced items are really wasted on me.
If I have to use over 3 buttons on my mouse, it is too many for me. That being said. I play a lot of MechWarrior games, and I wanted to get into
Star Citizen and other space flight games. I was looking at the Gladiator NXT EVO series joysticks.
I want to buy a right hand joystick and a left hand throttle / joysitck for my games.

With my low skill, simple needs and preferred games, can someone please help me choose the best Joystick / Throttle combination for my needs?
I don't want to waste money on options I will never use or appreciate, so what combination do you recommend based on this info?
Thank you in advance.

fallout9

Re: Newbie question for which Joystick to buy

Postby fallout9 » Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:49

Hi Brian, if you want to get into space games then the best choice would be Gladiator EVO on right hand and Gladiator EVO with OTA on left hand. 2 joysticks is the best setup to take advantage of the 6dof flight model of games like Star Citizen and Elite:Dangerous. The left hand joystick could also be used as a classic throttle with only a few adjustments (see the video guide).
The double joystick setup would also work great for Mech Warrior; this game though has a horrendous joystick implementation and it requires some documentation before jumping in.

BrianBanzai

Postby BrianBanzai » Thu Aug 11, 2022 15:13

Thank you for the feedback, I will certainly put these on my Christmas list.
Do you have a recommendation on which version to get? I see there are several versions and I'm not sure of the differences.
F-14 edition, Space combat edition etc.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 0:25

The Gladiator EVO accepts 3 grips: KG12 (replica of the German warbirds' grip), F-14 (replica of the Tomcat's grip) and SCG (best all arounder grip). If you're not into warbirds or F-14 I suggest the SCG grip; it's the most ergonomic and provides more inputs than the others.

Return to “General discussions”