GNX SEM Axis use

Moderator: AdminGroup

GaryAppleton

GNX SEM Axis use

Postby GaryAppleton » Tue Nov 16, 2021 0:42

Is the axis assigned to flaps on the GNX SEM an appropriate axis to use as a throttle?

fallout9

Re: GNX SEM Axis use

Postby fallout9 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:58

It is better than the Gladiator NXT's minithrottle.

XIMX

Postby XIMX » Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:50

How do you actually set up the axis as axis?
The only instruction I found is the "VKB NXT line software guide - SEM" video on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moj2FOY ... ZO&index=3
But you are using a different software version with a different interface and the buttons I'm supposed to click ("Find & Auto Config" and the "SEM Axes Wizard") just don't exist in my v0.92.15.

One more problem with the axes:
I'm using (Or: trying to use) the SEM attached to a left Gladiator in combination with a right Gladiator which I've been using for some time now. For the right Gladiator the set-up works nicely, but for the left one I can not invert some of the axes (Y, Z and rotational Z). It works on the right one and it worked on the Thrustmaster I previously used on the left, but for the left Gladiator inverting an axis ingame (Star Citizen) exclusively worked for the X axis. Changing this setting for any of the other axes just doesn't change anyting.

I changed the analog mini-stick to a digitall one at the left Gladiator but didn't see a way to change this in the VKBDevCfg software yet. So, it still shows the "POV 1" icon in the "Test" section. Is this a problem and might this cause my problems with the other axes?

Edit:
Meanwhile I managed to invert most of the axes as desired. That means Y and rotational Z are inverted. But Z (the tiny throttle) insistes to have zero at the top position. No matter weather I invert it in-game, change the physical axis' "R" or "Dir" or the logical "In". It's always zero at the top and 100% at the bottom.

In comparison the not yet set/calibrated SEM "throttle" has three different areas:
100% at the bottom,
then switsches to zero and increases like the analoge axis it's supposed to be
and at the top it drops to zero again.
But here I'm pretty sure that it will work once I figured out where the missing buttons are hidden in the current version.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 20:19

Go to Global/External/External Devices, click on the SEM device, take a screenshot and post it here please.

XIMX

Postby XIMX » Thu Nov 18, 2021 23:41

SEM.JPG

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 0:16

You have the latest software, but the firmware on both your Gladiators is old, please reflash.

XIMX

Postby XIMX » Fri Nov 19, 2021 18:18

Okay, now a lot is working.
Well, yes, updating the sticks' firmware made the missed buttons in the VKBDevCfg show up. That helped a lot. But I'm surprised why my newly delivered second stick was just as outdated as the one I ordered in June.
Inverting the axes was easy too after I noticed that the order in which they show up in the DevCfg (#1 to 8 at "Profile" => "Axes") has nothing to do with the order they are displayed in in the "Testing" area. Is there an easy way to figuere out which axis ID belongs to which of the "Testing" axes? Beside of trial and error?

The only issue I have now is that there doesn't seem to be any noticeable influence when changing the response curves. Even when I set extreme curves I don't see the axes' behavior reflecting the set-up. E.g. square: 0 or 255, where it stays at 0 or 100% for about halve the axis' way.

But at least for the curves it seems to work to change them in-game.
So, yes, happy to own another VKB stick and glad to have chosen the additional SEM. =)

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 20:41

A new firmware is released every other day sometimes. This doesn't mean that you should reflash weekly, it's just that the firmware including the modules into the setup is really new.
To properly identify your axes do this: move your joystick along the axis you want to identify while in Test/Axes. Remember the name of the axis with the slider moving; for example, the pitch axis is Y. Now go to Profile/Axes/Logical Axes chart and you'll see the HID usage for axis Y is the second row. You have 3 inversion options on that row, 2 in Logical Axes chart and another one in Physical Axes chart. You can inverse an axis, but make sure it's not inversed twice.
About setting up curves - this guide will definitely help you, but to respond to your question - in order to apply a custom curve on an axis that axis has to have the Eq option checked in Physical Axes chart and the curve should be created on that axis' number in Responsive curve panel.

Masque

Postby Masque » Sat Nov 20, 2021 15:08

fallout9 wrote:It is better than the Gladiator NXT's minithrottle.

Higher resolution? Better physical interface? Do go on!

Return to “General discussions”