New VKB owner and questions

Moderator: AdminGroup

Byzantine109

New VKB owner and questions

Postby Byzantine109 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:27

Hello!

I am hoping a board user familiar with VKB mk. III hardware could help out with an explanation:

1. In practical terms (response and “feel” on the stick), what does changing cams, springs and adjusting the dry clutch do?

I have ordered both the KG12 and MCG pro as I exclusively fly the ME109 and FA18.

2. I intend to change grips on the mk. III depending on which aircraft I am flying at the time. Is there any recommendation on springs/cams that would be a reasonable balance between the two aircraft.

All that said, is it also reasonable to just to leave the stock cams, springs and dry clutch adjustment in place as shipped from VKB?

I appreciate any assistance!
Last edited by Byzantine109 on Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:03, edited 1 time in total.

fallout9

Re: New VKB owner and questions

Postby fallout9 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:45

Hi there. The combination of cams, springs and dampers is a personal preference. 10 pilots could come with 10 different setups. Best is to experiment and decide what works for you. You should start with physical limitations - if you're using the desktop setup (no mounts) then you can't use the heavy springs combination (I would suggest a max of 1x#20 + 1x#30 per cam); if you cant use heavy springs then the dry clutch has to be on the light side, otherwise the grip won't be returning to center properly on the soft centering cams (but maybe you'd like to use the hard centering cams to counter that). As you can see, there are lots of options; experimenting would reveal their effects.
Here's a guide on changing springs and cams, here's one on adjusting dampers.

If you plan to swap grips please keep in mind that you'll have to reflash your device every time when a new grip comes in. After flashing it is important to click the Default button and recalibrate the device. Here's a guide on flashing and calibrating the MCG Pro grip and here's another on flashing and calibrating the KG12 grip.

Good luck :)

Byzantine109

Postby Byzantine109 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:02

Fallout9,

I really appreciate your thorough response. I will be mounting the mk III in a seated centre position with a monstertech mount on a MFC blackbird chair using the VKB extension. I prefer a “tighter” response on the stick for accurate detailed inputs - would you therefore still suggest trying the 1x#20 + 1x#30 per cam?

I’m glad you told me that I needed to flash the device every time I swap grips. Is it common among VKB users to change grips regularly (weekly or monthly)?

Thanks again if you’re able to answer.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:04

Having a mount is great. Also, having an extension will push you toward heavy springs, so start with a double #40 per cam and go up to 1x#40 + 1x#50 per cam.
About swapping grips, there is a beta software in development called NG Multidevice version, that would let you just switch grips without reflashing, but it's still in development and more complicated than the current stable software. If you'd like to try you could get it from here.

Byzantine109

Postby Byzantine109 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:07

fallout9,

I have a follow up question regarding x and y axis centring on the Gunfighter. I had been using the KG12 stick with an extension and x2 #40 springs on each cam. VKB device config software for Axes1 testing would show both the x and y axis return to “centre” with a consistent 32767 value.

Since flashing the device and changing grips over to MCG pro ultimate, I am not getting as precise of x and y axis return to “centre”. The x axis is a consistent 32767 value while the y axis returns with an average 33000 value. The VPC joystick tester tool indicates the y axis to be off by 1%. I have messed about by adjusting the dampers but can’t get and even 50% on each axis.

Am I fretting over nothing or is there something I can do? Thanks in advance.

Ron61

Postby Ron61 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:29

It all depends on the cams installed (with or without center) and the settings for the dead zone. MCGU is much heavier than KG12, so it needs its own setting for this parameter.
What is the Y-axis cam? Show the Profile-Axes tab from the configurator.

Byzantine109

Postby Byzantine109 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 19:52

I have attached the profile axes tab screen.
Attachments
Scan Oct 25, 2021.pdf
(390.81 KiB) Downloaded 89 times

Ron61

Postby Ron61 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 20:47

Well, put on the Y axis in the DzLo = 3 parameter instead of the current 0.5, press Set and see what happened.

Return to “General discussions”