Kosmosima and F-35 similarity / difference

Moderator: AdminGroup

fbar

Kosmosima and F-35 similarity / difference

Postby fbar » Mon Aug 16, 2021 15:53

I just noticed that the GNX / Kosmosima-grip is very similar to the F-35 stick. Very cool! I guess it's inspired by it?

I'm just wondering though, why are the two upper hats switched? Looks like the F-35 has the walled dome (or whatever it's called) on the left side and the pyramid on the right, while the Kosmosima has them opposite.

Is there any special reason for this? I'm guessing maybe because on the Kosmosima the pyramid switch also functions as an analog stick on the premium version? Or did the VKB engineers have something else in mind?

I am asking out of pure curiosity and interest! :)

AeroGator

Re: Kosmosima and F-35 similarity / difference

Postby AeroGator » Mon Aug 16, 2021 17:54

:mrgreen:

In fact Kosmosima is entirely a fruit of our engineers' imagination. Any similarity to any real life grips is accidental.
It was designed from scratch with space missions in mind, hence the name.
Controls placement was also fully independent of any existing designs, and was optimized for open space.

What you said was a sharp observation! But no, we didn't make it to be in any way a replica or the F-35 grip.
Best Regards,
AeroGator

TrueWeevie

Postby TrueWeevie » Mon Aug 16, 2021 19:00

Nah @fbar, you got it the wrong way round: Lockheed Martin used a time machine (the one the US government got from the aliens at Roswell), jumped forward a few years and stole the grip design from VKB. 8)
:lol:

fbar

Postby fbar » Mon Aug 16, 2021 20:21

Ah, my mistake! :) I did not mean to imply that it was a replica, only that there maybe was some inspiration.

Anyway, it is an awesome piece of engineering. It works great for flight as well by the way (I've yet to try it in space). It would be cool if the engineers shared their personal opinions on how all the buttons and hats are meant to be assigned in space and flight sims. I would really like to use it the way the engineers intended!

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:42

The good thing about the non-replica grips is that you could use your imagination without restrictions. I always try to group the fighting controls like gun fire, missiles, radars, countermeasures etc on the right hand grip and leave the navigation, landing etc controls on the left hand device.
There's no better or worst controls' assignment, it's just what works best for you.

rtrski

Postby rtrski » Thu Aug 19, 2021 14:44

That's also why I get Cyrillic markings if I can...because despite trying to learn once, after 30+ years I really can't read them. So I can immerse myself into pretending they say anything.

(What was the button Rambo kept using to fire missiles from a helicopter....the radio button or something obvious like that? :D )
RH VKB GF Mk III + Modern Combat Grip *ULTIMATE* (12/17 GFII , upgraded), _powered_ deploy!
LH VKB GF Mk III + Kosmosima Prem (02/19 GFII, upgraded), *lateral* mounted
Feet: Slaw Viper RX Pedals [Sorry, VKB, too gorgeous]

fbar

Postby fbar » Thu Aug 19, 2021 17:16

Haha, that's a great idea!

On another note, I discovered that it's easy to take off the hats myself. I switches places for the POV and walled hats, and now it definitely reminds of F-35 stick. I think I like it better that way actually, at least for civilian flight. (I have the standard version without the minisick)

Even though it's not based on or inspired by the F-35 stick, I do suppose that both VKB engineers an LM engineers have reached a sort of optimal layout based on iterations of previous work. I find it very cool that they're so similar!

Return to “General discussions”