Hand rest not adjustable?

Moderator: AdminGroup

Mewt

Hand rest not adjustable?

Postby Mewt » Thu Jul 15, 2021 21:37

Heya

My VKB + GFII + 200mm just arrived 2 hours ago. Everything is amazing. Have been spending the day setting it up.

Everything seems customisable; cams, springs, dampeners etc. I have it just like I need it for IL2 and DCS.

Everything seems very very high quality and I'm very happy.

However. This hand rest SEEMS adjustable. However the "screw" is just a non-threaded bolt? The included allen key just spins in it. It has no bite and is just circular. See attached image

https://imgur.com/a/ApTra6x

What am I missing?

fallout9

Re: Hand rest not adjustable?

Postby fallout9 » Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:52

You need a 2.5mm hex key for that; are you sure you're using the right key?

Mewt

Postby Mewt » Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:24

I have a complete hex set; nothing fits or bites.

The screw looks completely circular and threaded on assembly. :(

Kaalrabistu

Postby Kaalrabistu » Fri Jul 16, 2021 13:01

You could try and measure depth of hole, mark hex key with depth and see if it engages properly. If it does not it could spin as explained.
If it does not engage properly you could tap the key gently and see if it engages, if not you could try and grind the hex key sides gently with fine grit sanding paper.
If all fails, maybe look for replacement. Drill out screw and use extractor.

Drano

Postby Drano » Fri Jul 16, 2021 18:27

The screw head looks to me like it's stripped out making it difficult for even the right sized key to engage. The screw will have to be extracted and replaced. The good news is it's a common item found at hardware stores for only a few cents.

That screw isn't in there at an incredibly high torque spec. It passes through the hand rest, then that half of the grip finally threading into a brass insert molded into the other half of the grip. You could try putting a piece of paper over the hole, push the closest sized key through that and try to get a bite. Experiment with different materials. Try various sizes of straight (slotted) screwdrivers and see if you can get one to grip well enough to turn it out. You could try a small screw extractor. Another hardware store item made for just this situation. If you could get a dremel tool in there with a small cutting disc you could cut a slot across the head of the screw and turn it out with the straight screwdriver. That would be fairly tricky as it's a tight spot. Wear eye protection if you attempt this!

Yeah you shouldn't have to be doing this but it is what it is. Getting that screw out of there yourself would sure beat sending the grip back and waiting for it to get come to you. Let us know how you made out with it.
Gunfighter MkI w/MkIII update + MCG-Pro Grip
Avia S Cams
2x #30A Springs
FW:v2.13F
Devconfig: v92.78
Zbootloader: v2.01

Asus Strix X570-E Gaming
Ryzen9 5800X3D
Asus Strix 3080 12GB
32GB Corsair Vengeance PC3600
EVGA G6 1000W
Reverb G2V2
Win10/64

Mewt

Postby Mewt » Fri Jul 16, 2021 19:14

Thank you so much for the tips guys. I’ll give some of them a go, get the screw out and source a replacement.

Return to “General discussions”