Gunfighter Mk III broken wire

Moderator: AdminGroup

dburne

Gunfighter Mk III broken wire

Postby dburne » Sat Mar 13, 2021 16:41

So I was flying in DCS and all of a sudden my Hornet went into an uncontrollable roll.
I exit out of the game and checked in the VKB software and my axis were going crazy. Then a short time later unresponsive. Buttons were unresponsive also. I think oh no this can't be good.

So I pulled the gimbal out of the casing, and there it was - a red wire broke slap in two. I had added two springs to what I already had in my Gunfighter a couple of days prior, and apparently upon putting it back together I must have somehow got that one wire in a bad position and it got pinched until it broke in two.

Luckily I have a soldering tool and solder, so it was a quick fix for me - I soldered it together and wrapped electrical tape around the joint. Hoping it holds up ok as I use this thing probably between 3-5 hours daily.
I got to thinking it would be nice to have a spare wiring harness ready to go. I checked in parts and they do not offer them, and VKB North America suggested I contact sales at VKB headquarters so have sent them an email to see if I can purchase one. I would like to have something here as a spare just in case.

Anyway this was all on me certainly, not VKB. I highly recommend to those that like to get in there to make adjustments use caution when putting back together - insure those wires are not in a precarious location. They are pretty thin and pinch/break pretty easily.

Grimnir

Re: Gunfighter Mk III broken wire

Postby Grimnir » Fri Jun 25, 2021 16:02

Same here, I too would like to have a spare cable lying around just in case. Where can I get one?

I’m talking about the tiny cable you are suppost to disconnect when removing the gimbal to install new springs. I try to be super carefull not to put it into a position where it can be pinched, but you never know.

dburne

Postby dburne » Fri Jun 25, 2021 20:37

Just contact support and inquiry on how you might can get one to have a spare.

Grimnir

Postby Grimnir » Fri Jun 25, 2021 21:21

Thank you. I will of course pay the cost. Perhaps it could be something you could order from the store? Just a thought. :D

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Fri Jun 25, 2021 22:12

For anything that's not listed in the stores please inquire about at sales@vkb-sim.pro.

dburne

Postby dburne » Sun Jun 27, 2021 14:22

Yes just to update on my end I had a look and I too contacted sales and was able to purchase a spare wire harness, which I have here now just in case my solder job fails. Or I may just go ahead and replace it next time I open it up.

Return to “General discussions”