MCG Grip keeps coming loose from Gunfighter 3 base

Moderator: AdminGroup

TaipanDan

MCG Grip keeps coming loose from Gunfighter 3 base

Postby TaipanDan » Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:28

Since I received my MCG grip not long ago, after about an hour of use the buttons stop registering and it's clear the connection to the base has come loose again. It happpens almost every session.
Also it happened a few times during calibration as well. It seems when the stick gets pulled to the very edge of the axis, the forces are greater towards the edge and the grip starts to loosen on the base connector.

I never had this problem with SCG or KG-12 grip, it's only since the upgrade to MCG.
I fear it's related to the greater leverage in the longer stick, combined with strong springs and Avia cams. It seems the connection method is not sufficient for this kind of force?

My current setup:
Cam: Avia
Springs: 50
Extension: 10cm, 15 degree rotation
Grip: MCG Pro, without twist

Whenever I reseat the grip I push the grip down against the base to ensure there is no gap, then I do up the connection screw as tight as possible. It's so tight it's poking a few mm out the other side.

The photo shows the gap that appears after using it for 1 hour where the grip shifts up slightly.
Am I doing anything wrong or is the connector just not strong enough?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w8jm6h073dutv ... 9.jpg?dl=0

fallout9

Re: MCG Grip keeps coming loose from Gunfighter 3 base

Postby fallout9 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:54

If the grip comes loose there's an issue either with its tail or with the locking unit. Please fill up a service ticket.

Elvis

Postby Elvis » Fri Jan 29, 2021 16:21

I have the same problem with my new MCG Pro. The problem is in the grip connector (plastic bottom piece that connects to the GF Mk3). The flat bottom is not true / 90 degrees with the shaft hole that the GF Mk3 base cylinder goes into. The bottom front of the stick makes contact with the GF Mk3 but there is always a gap at the rear where the pin is. As you fly this gap gets worse and eventually gets bigger until the electrical contacts are no longer touching.

I opened a support ticket but VKB HQ is pretty slow to respond. (VKB North America has been very good with communications tho).

shadak

Postby shadak » Sun Jan 31, 2021 23:47

I think I had a similar problem at first with MCG Ultimate, maybe it was due to its weight and me using 40 spring on GF3 (which I assume is completely fine?).
When I first installed it, it became a bit loose in the grip side locking part, I actually felt it move slightly when I pulled on the grip until the edge during calibration. Never happened with Pro.

I had to really tighten it down but Im worried it might happen again with more use, and this is with no extension. I imagine it could be more secure with some kind of top/bottom screwing mechanism that Virpil/WH have.

TaipanDan

Postby TaipanDan » Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:31

Yeah it grips at the front where the screw/bolt thingy is, but there's nothing to stop the back from tilting up when you move the stick to the hard end of the axis.
Within about 20 minutes it's moved up enough and lost contact.

Did you get any result back yet?

I've been busy but will raise a ticket soon

TaipanDan

Postby TaipanDan » Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:33

Mine also happened during calibration. I've got #50 springs, 10cm extension and Avia cams that are harder on the edge of the axis. I'm soon upgrading to 20cm extension which has me worried...
Yes agree would rather see a more secure locking mechanism than just something that provides friction/force against it. Something that actually connects into a hole in the base.

TaipanDan

Postby TaipanDan » Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:38

fallout9 wrote:If the grip comes loose there's an issue either with its tail or with the locking unit. Please fill up a service ticket.

This was purchased through AliExpress, it looks like I can't raise a ticket with VKB since it needs to be raised against an order.

I've sent a message to the VKB AliExpress store - is this the correct method instead of raising a ticket?
Or is there another way to raise a ticket if you didn't buy in North America?

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 18:00

Write to warranty@vkb-sim.pro please and link your e-mail with your order number.

Pickafivestring

Postby Pickafivestring » Sun May 02, 2021 15:41

I'm just going to chime in here as well. I ordered my Gunfighter Mk3 MCG Pro in February 2021, and received it March 3, 2021. Specifically, I ordered the table top base. I mounted it on a Foxx Mount, desk mount. I just started setting it up last week, along with other equipment I recently bought. Yes, I have the stamina, and fortitude of an oak, for not even opening the packages until a week ago.

I've had the grip come loose from the base. The funny thing is I wasn't even really using the stick for flying. After doing a basic setup and calibration, I was mapping my first aircraft in X-Plane to learn the hardware and such. Being a civilian flight sim, there wasn't much pot stirring with the stick, and all flight inputs were smooth, you know, to give a nice ride to the paying meat bags in the back of the plane.
Anyhow, after about 2 hours of mapping, testing, re-mapping, testing, and final re-mapping, the stick cut out, and the connection was lost. Upon examining the stick, it was clear the grip had separated enough from the base, to break the connection. This happened yesterday.

What I found: The locking collar bolt was not as tight as when I initially tightened it down.

What I did about it: I confirmed that the locking collar was in the correct rotational position. I confirmed that I had a pin witness mark on all three pads of the grip base. I opened up the locking collar completely to ensure the grip would slide all the way down the mounting shaft on the base. I ensured the locking collar was rotationally in the proper mechanical position for its intended function. I took my time mounting the grip to the base, making sure it was on the base as far as the design would go. I hand tightened the collar bolt with a hex key, until I could no longer hand tighten it. I then used another tool to gain some additional mechanical leverage, and tightened further, as far as I dared, knowing it's a plastic grip, being tightened by a steel bolt, around a metal shaft.

What I will do going forward: For now, I am going to use the stick, and monitor it. I'm hoping this will be the fix. If it loosens again, I'm going to repeat the seating process, but include the use of blue thread locking compound during the grip/base mating. If that fails, then I'll go the support ticket route.

I'm not saying there's a broader problem with the design, but it seems the attachment design isn't as robust as it could be. I'm surprised that a plug system independent of the mechanical attachment isn't used. Combining the two, while pleasing from an engineering standpoint, is asking a lot from a plastic grip, on a metal base, being used by a bunch of grown men playing fighter pilot. Friction gripping fasteners are rarely the answer when connecting two longitudinal parts in series, especially when you are going to apply perpendicular forces from every angle in the force plane to that fastener. What's really needed is a screw down locking collar, or if the friction fastener is insisted upon, a design that slides over a retention ring, and then tightens around the shaft, combining mechanical friction AND longitudinal retention support.

In any event, I wanted to let VKB know that it seems the winter batch that shipped in January and February, is demonstrating this grip and base separation, by posting my experience here as well.

Regards,

Tim

TaipanDan

Postby TaipanDan » Sun May 02, 2021 16:52

Thanks Tim for adding your experience.

I've since upgraded to the MCG Ultimate, and have less disconnections although sometimes it still needed re-tightening.

I only do a flight about once per week, so it was 3 flights or 3 weeks then I needed to re-tighten. I'll probably have to try what you mentioned and go tight as possible.

Having the Heaviest springs and an extension may test the limits of the fastener.

Previously owning a Warthog that never lost connection, I was surprised to see Jesse Calder from snake eater company in the review saying how impressed he is with the connectors on VKB. Like you mentioned there are better ways to lock it down rather than relying on pressure from the fastener that allows the grip to slide upwards slightly.

TrueWeevie

Postby TrueWeevie » Sun May 02, 2021 18:15

I don't understand this.

I have had a KG-12 grip, an MCG Pro Grip and an MCG Pro Ultimate grip and used extensions with the latter two of these grips. So that's four separate instances of fasteners, since 2017.

I have never had any issue with looseness.

I'm sorry guys but unless I've been extremely lucky, you chaps are just doing something wrong. It's a perfectly sensible fastening solution and it's always been rock solid for me.

Pickafivestring

Postby Pickafivestring » Sun May 02, 2021 19:55

Well, I'd say you are doing well, and should not jinx your luck....LOL.

You may very well be right. This is my first high end stick/base setup, so I very well could be on the upside of the learning curve. I'm just going to keep an open mind though, considering, including me, there are a few of us now that have experienced the same thing. If'n it were just me, I'd be the first to point at myself, but I think it's worth reporting on the forum for now.

Regards,

Tim

Drano

Postby Drano » Mon May 03, 2021 3:30

TrueWeevie wrote:I don't understand this.

I have had a KG-12 grip, an MCG Pro Grip and an MCG Pro Ultimate grip and used extensions with the latter two of these grips. So that's four separate instances of fasteners, since 2017.

I have never had any issue with looseness.

I'm sorry guys but unless I've been extremely lucky, you chaps are just doing something wrong. It's a perfectly sensible fastening solution and it's always been rock solid for me.

Same here. Original owner. Long extension too. Never had it come apart unless I took it apart and I've done that many times for one reason or another. It's a pretty basic system. Sure you have the wedges aligned with the post? Tightened enough? I'm at a loss as to how it would just come loose too.
Gunfighter MkI w/MkIII update + MCG-Pro Grip
Avia S Cams
2x #30A Springs
FW:v2.13F
Devconfig: v92.78
Zbootloader: v2.01

Asus Strix X570-E Gaming
Ryzen9 5800X3D
Asus Strix 3080 12GB
32GB Corsair Vengeance PC3600
EVGA G6 1000W
Reverb G2V2
Win10/64

TrueWeevie

Postby TrueWeevie » Tue May 04, 2021 21:44

Pickafivestring wrote:Well, I'd say you are doing well, and should not jinx your luck....LOL.

You may very well be right. This is my first high end stick/base setup, so I very well could be on the upside of the learning curve. I'm just going to keep an open mind though, considering, including me, there are a few of us now that have experienced the same thing. If'n it were just me, I'd be the first to point at myself, but I think it's worth reporting on the forum for now.

Regards,

Tim

To be fair, it may just be that my brain works in the same way as the guys at VKB (and I'm not sure which of us should be worried about that! :lol: ) and that those of us with that kind of brain are the odd ones and the rest of you chaps are the normal ones and so your 'getting it wrong' is a factor of a less than intuitive design but the design does seem to make sense to me! :lol:

ServError

Postby ServError » Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:14

Sorry to resurrect this, but I also really wish VKB had some kind of alternative clamping setup. I use a 200mm long extension (with maximum left rotation offset) with an SCG/MK3 and can't tell you how many times I've had the extension come loose enough from the base to cause contact issues for the buttons. Even worse, that movement allowed at the rear made it so that the pogo pins slowly scratched/dug into the contact plate on the MK3 until it needed to be replaced....twice. Thankfully VKB stocked me up with multiple replacement harnesses, but it's not fun to have to keep my hex key on hand in case it loosens in flight. I also noticed a gap between the bottom of the extension and MK3, and ended up 3 printing a thin collar to prevent further damage from the pins (at the cost of more readily losing connection once it loosens).

My warranty is about to come to an end, and I just wish there was more to do than have to keep retightening that damn screw.

Return to “General discussions”