SCG Twist does not return to center

Moderator: AdminGroup

Argarth

SCG Twist does not return to center

Postby Argarth » Tue Jan 05, 2021 0:34

My Mk.III Space Combat Grip Twist / Z-axes will not fully return to center. I tried tightening the retaining pin, loosening the retaining pin, and even removing the retaining pin.

1- Device model and version: Mark III SCG
2 - Controller Firmware version: VKB-Sim Space Gunfighter v2.007 Mk2
3 - Number and type of springs used: 2, default
4 - Тype of cams used: Default springs
5- N/A
6- Screenshot from JoyTester.
Capture.PNG

fallout9

Re: SCG Twist does not return to center

Postby fallout9 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 0:50

Check only the twist axis in the tester and post a new screenshot please. Twist left, lift your hand from the grip, twist right, lift your hand.

Argarth

Postby Argarth » Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:27

Here you go.

Capture.PNG

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:47

Please post a screenshot from VKBDevCfg with Profile/Axes/Logical and Physical Axes charts exposed.

Argarth

Postby Argarth » Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:40

Fallout, can you show me what you need me to turn on? I dont see any of those option.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 21:52

This chart:
Attachments
Capture.JPG

Argarth

Postby Argarth » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:52

Here you go.
Capture.PNG

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:32

Post 2 pictures please with the connector (locking cylinders), from both sides.

Argarth

Postby Argarth » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:02

Fallout,

I discovered that the dust guard was preventing the twist to center. I cannot seem to fix it...

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:34

Try one of these arrangements.

snp

Postby snp » Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:23

I have the same issue with my brand new Space Gunfighter. The twist can't make it back to zero position due to additional friction caused by the dust guard (presumable bad greasing is another topic, going to re-grease the twist using silicone-teflon grease).

The first arrangement proposed by fallout9 works for a short while and then the rubber shifts up while playing and the issue is back. I also tried to push the rubber down even more to avoid shifting up but it this position it blocked Y-axis movement and prevented it from reaching max positions.

The second one seems to work better, the rubber doesn't go back to the regular position so easily. However, Y-axis movement requires more force before reaching max positions because several layer of rubber are along the way. I marked this moment on the joy tester screenshot I attach. So, Y-axis is not as perfectly linear as X-axis. I use space-soft cams and #10 springs, so it does make a difference.

Thank you, fallout9, for hints. I definitely prefer this to stubborn twist. Even though it's still not perfect since the difference between the twist and super-smooth main axis is painful.

Kind of bummer for EUR400 device, anyway... I'd say the GF+Kosmosima set could use differently designed dust guard, lower-profiled or smth.

Another topic is
Attachments
gf.jpg

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 20:29

I can assure you, if the dust cover is properly placed around the base metal stem like in second picture it won't slip from there. Also, please keep in mind that after making changes on dust cover position, you'll have to recalibrate. When you recalibrate don't push the joystick against the dust cover at the edge, push it as much as you'll push it in game without effort. That would mark the end of the axis BEFORE the stick starts to fight against the dust cover and will eliminate the bumps shown in your tester.

snp

Postby snp » Sat Feb 13, 2021 19:08

I think I've figured it out.

The main reason of the issue is the dust guard. The distance between its top edge and the stricture (pic. C) that fits the dent on the base metal stem (pic. B) is about 2mm too big (I marked the distance on pic. A). If the stricture is placed correctly in the dent, the guard's top edge touches the bottom edge of the grip, creates an additional friction and the twist centring force is too weak to overcome it.

Pushing the stricture below the dent (first proposed arrangements) didn't work for me since:
- it was easy to push it a bit too far and then it was too low and collided with Y-axis movement
- it was easy to push it not enough and then it kept going back into the dent while playing

Changing the rubber's arrangement around the stem (second proposed arrangement) didn't work for me, neither. I described the reasons in my previous post. I could possibly follow fallout9's advice and just recalibrate Y-axis to get 100% range before the additional effort is necessary but come on! It's a high-end stick for f***'s sake! I want to have full functionality!

So, my idea was to put the guard 2mm lower around the metal stem and make it stable there, not let it go up or down during grip movements. I thought of a rubber/silicone o-ring placed in the dent to place the guard below it and give the guard something more grippy than metal to hold on to. Unfortunately, I had no matching o-rings and getting one is not easy nowadays due to covid, closed stores and stuff. So I found a piece of nice, resilient rubber and cut the o-ring out from it (pic. D and yes, I feel a bit sorry about sacrificing such a cool gadget). After some tweaks I managed to get the o-ring's width in a way that the guard is located 2mm lower near the stem than it used to be (pic. F) and doesn't change its position during grip movements. Or at least hasn't changed its position during about 8 hours of playing so far. And now the stick works perfectly. No problems with the twist, no problems with limited Y-axis range.

I think there are two options now:
- The VKB's dust guard source doesn't provide a good level of repeatability and my guard is just higher than it should be. It this case I think I should get a replacement, a lower one. I don't think that's the case, however...
- ...because I think it's a design oversight. The dust guard is just 2mm too high to assure undisturbed twist movement of Kosmosima grip. The issue most likely doesn't exist for GF with other grips and for sure doesn't exist for NXT since there is no rubber dust guard at all. In this case I think it might be a good idea to either change the guard's dimensions a bit or add an appropriate o-ring to GF/Kosmosima sets.

P.S. Sorry for quality of the photos. They looked much better on my phone's screen. :(
Attachments
vkb.jpg

Return to “General discussions”