VKB Gunfighter III Cam plating fell off after one week

Moderator: AdminGroup

Condestavel

VKB Gunfighter III Cam plating fell off after one week

Postby Condestavel » Sat Dec 26, 2020 0:43

Hello,
I bought a Gunfighter Mk. III with the MCG Pro RU Grip /w twist (manufactured in September of 2020), and the 200mm extension during the black Friday promotion.
I started using the stick with the extension and 50# springs last week (only lightly, doing trading runs in Elite Dangerous).
When I installed the springs for the extension, I also applied Nyogel 767a to the Cams (despite the official statement that it isn't needed).
Yesterday I decided to open the base to install two additional springs (#30), and found out that the plating from the X Axis Cam had started to fall - the nyogel was cooper colored, and when I removed the grease with isopropanol, it was clear what had happened.

From what I've read, on the new steel cams, the plating is only for the visual efect.

Could anyone confir if this is normal, after a week of light use (less than 20 hours), and if I should be worried?
The cams are the default Avia-S.

Thank you
IMG_20201224_233729.jpg

IMG_20201224_233734.jpg

IMG_20201225_000029.jpg

fallout9

Re: VKB Gunfighter III Cam plating fell off after one week

Postby fallout9 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:14

Condestavel wrote: I also applied Nyogel 767a to the Cams (despite the official statement that it isn't needed).

This right here is the reason. To elaborate, there's no need for any lubricant or grease in that area as the ball bearing is supposed to ROLL when the cam moves. Applying grease makes the ball bearing to SLIDE on the cam - it's not rolling anymore, the cam presses on it eliminating all the grease between them and creating a crazy friction which shaves the protective layers on the cam.

Condestavel

Postby Condestavel » Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:36

fallout9 wrote:
Condestavel wrote: I also applied Nyogel 767a to the Cams (despite the official statement that it isn't needed).

This right here is the reason. To elaborate, there's no need for any lubricant or grease in that area as the ball bearing is supposed to ROLL when the cam moves. Applying grease makes the ball bearing to SLIDE on the cam - it's not rolling anymore, the cam presses on it eliminating all the grease between them and creating a crazy friction which shaves the protective layers on the cam.

Thank you for the quick answer.

So if i remove the grease do I need any protection against rust, since the plating fell?

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:42

It depends on how humid the space you live is. If there's regular humidity, like around 30-40% it should be fine. But even if the cams are still smooth it'd worth it to consider a new set. Get in touch with your vendor to see what options you'd have.

Condestavel

Postby Condestavel » Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:48

Thank you, I will do that. Where I am the humidity is high.

Return to “General discussions”