app to print out button mappings?

Moderator: AdminGroup

rtrski

Re: app to print out button mappings?

Postby rtrski » Wed May 05, 2021 15:38

I'm sorry, I don't know of any collections of profiles. I mean I have my own, but I'm slightly strange as I'm sure you've seen (sideways left hand stick use, that sort of thing).

The profiles I have don't have a huge number of changes. Mostly I've tuned the analog hats on both Kosmo Prem LH and MCG Ult to have a little stronger curves (less sensitive around middle, much faster movement toward edges) by just shifting the numbers. Switched an axis from standard to 'relative'. And added a couple 'Tempo' button options so one button can have a long and short press action. I've also messed around with the LEDs a little.

I did rearrange the MCG Ultimate button assignments too, to try and keep all buttons I was using (after swapping the top digital/analog-optional position for a digital hat only) below logical #32. But I'd be afraid actually that handing my profiles to someone else might really mess with a lot of stuff. Once all the "logical" buttons the stick reports to Windows are changed, all your in-game assignments have to be changed, too.

Just ask questions, include pics if possible. Also there's a pretty active community over on reddit at r/hotas, that discuss VKB stick settings. Don't worry, I'm only in my mid-50's so a child compared to you, I do some basic scripting (not much compilable "programming") and work with CAD and CAE full time in my real job, and I find the software semi-overwhelming too. It's just powerful so that makes it a little bit 'dense' and I bet I'm not using more than 5% of its capability.

I guess if I had to give advice I'd suggest that you think thru the in-game map "groupings" that mean the most to you first - what do you want axes to be, what do you want on thumb analog. Think thru what you can't do simultaneously if your thumb is on analog stick vs. hat vs. button, or index finger is on a side hat instead of on a trigger. Then figure out if you're "missing" any additional press options. Don't worry too much about axis "curves" yet if something feels too sensitive or not sensitive enough -- you can change curves in the axes later, after they're assigned. I think all lthe other controls matter more, first. It's possible to have some controls that go kind of unwanted or unused while you "want" more on another. [For example, I settled on the bottom middle hat on the back of the MCG Ultimate as my "UI control" for in-game control panel or menus. 5 way hat naturally works for up-down-left-right-SELECT(middle press), but what about a "tab left" or "tab right"? If I want everything on that one hat, then maybe I need the left and right hat buttons to have a 'Tempo' long-press option in addition to a short press option. That's not my current mapping but I've been noodling over it as a future change...]

Once you have some idea of that, you can program the VKB Config to offer those presses. THEN go in game and assign, and either play a while or do tutorials so you don't risk your ship/character/whatever. Don't be surprised if you realize you've designed yourself into a hole and want to change your mind, it happened to me several times. EVENTUALLY something will start to bed down as making 'sense' to your brain.

Then last thing you can fine tune axis curves in VKB (or possibly just play with a sensitivity and deadzone slider in-game) if there's analog responses you would like to respond differently. Altering those doesn't cause a whole remap of everything else.
RH VKB GF Mk III + Modern Combat Grip *ULTIMATE* (12/17 GFII , upgraded), _powered_ deploy!
LH VKB GF Mk III + Kosmosima Prem (02/19 GFII, upgraded), *lateral* mounted
Feet: Slaw Viper RX Pedals [Sorry, VKB, too gorgeous]

Return to “General discussions”