Any reason why you don't sign your software with the "new" Windows Signature process?

Moderator: AdminGroup

einarabelc5

Any reason why you don't sign your software with the "new" Windows Signature process?

Postby einarabelc5 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:24

Other than the cost of the CA and the Certificate for signing your software is there any reason you don't sign your EXE programs? I mean, this should be a once a year payment every 1 to 3 years or so right?

I appreciate the following about the software:
1: No Install folder
2: No Dlls
3: A Single EXE

But since I haven't worked on developing software for Windows since Windows 8 came out and all this hubris about signing executables with certificates came along I can't remember if you can compile programs as single EXEs with a signature embedded. I would think there are valid use cases for it.

I know this is mostly marketing on M$ to cover their backs and I can tell the people are VKB can see through it but I was surprised to see disparity between software and hardware when I ran the exes and noticed they weren't signed. A binary checksum would be nice at least.

Thanks!!

UIV
Мастер

Re: Any reason why you don't sign your software with the "new" Windows Signature process?

Postby UIV » Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:08

You are right, the reason is the cost of the certificate. I don't want to give easy money to Micro$oft

Return to “General discussions”