Larger hats for MCG Pro

Moderator: AdminGroup

andyt

Larger hats for MCG Pro

Postby andyt » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:48

I would love to have some larger hats on my MCG. Ideally similar to the size on the Warthog stick. Since I have a 3d printer, would it be possible for VKB to post 3d models of the hats, or at least the hat attachment areas so I can print my own.

rtrski

Re: Larger hats for MCG Pro

Postby rtrski » Wed Mar 25, 2020 14:57

Possibly crazy idea - do you really want 'larger' or just want a little better tactile friction?

Considered using a Plasti-dip matte rubberizer coating? You'd have to clean the plastic well for adhesion, and (obviously) mask the shaft where it attaches.

I'd also be concerned that runoff toward the 'back' side might limit full range of motion depending on the specific cutout in the grip shell itself.

Plasti-dip these days in aerosol cans probably doesn't "build" a large wall thickness the way the old dip tubs did for plier handles and such, but just the change in friction might be part of what you're after. Plus....color choices. But you get that if you 3D print, too...
RH VKB GF Mk III + Modern Combat Grip *ULTIMATE* (12/17 GFII , upgraded), _powered_ deploy!
LH VKB GF Mk III + Kosmosima Prem (02/19 GFII, upgraded), *lateral* mounted
Feet: Slaw Viper RX Pedals [Sorry, VKB, too gorgeous]

andyt

Postby andyt » Wed Mar 25, 2020 17:54

I haven't considered 'tactile friction' - not quite sure what it means. I do miss the large size and positive presses of the warthog. Especially when it comes to the "Reset" hat. During a dogfight despite meaning to press down on it, it ends up sending up command.
Another thing I would love to see if possible to achieve: the mini sticks appear to have a fluid range of motion. Is there a way to constrain them to moving up/down left/right only? When flying DCS it makes it easier to use DMS/SMS switches when they move in a more predictable way.

BigC208

Postby BigC208 » Mon May 04, 2020 1:11

I too would like to have bigger hat switch options.

rtrski

Postby rtrski » Mon May 04, 2020 3:34

andyt wrote:I haven't considered 'tactile friction' - not quite sure what it means....

The friction between your finger and the Hat.... basically how stable your grip is on it.
RH VKB GF Mk III + Modern Combat Grip *ULTIMATE* (12/17 GFII , upgraded), _powered_ deploy!
LH VKB GF Mk III + Kosmosima Prem (02/19 GFII, upgraded), *lateral* mounted
Feet: Slaw Viper RX Pedals [Sorry, VKB, too gorgeous]

Fri13

Postby Fri13 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:44

I would like as well if VKB could release the files or measurements for 3D printing to create own hats.
I have little mixed feelings about the hats in MCG PRO. Usually I like them as is. But then sometimes I get feeling that they are "too small".

I have made own custom profile for MCG PRO with VKB config application, such a way that both mini-sticks acts as mini-sticks or as 4-way hats (activated by long push) and the left mini-stick has push even as a button (to lock on targets etc).
Why I have this set so, is the reason that I like to fly DCS and with A-10C, F/A-18C and F-16C there are various hat modes. A-10C and F-16C has both a same stick layout, so you have TMS on left and DMS on right (Target Management System & Data Management System) and it is simply easy to have these 4-way hats side-by-side like in the real grip.

But when I do fly F/A-18C or AV-8B N/A, that has similar grips between each others, except their "castle hat" are reversed with the trim hat, I get the feeling that in MCG PRO the right side hat could be larger. Just wider, maybe flatter or something. This is funny thing as I don't get that same feeling with many other modules.
Then again I have similar thing with the "RESET" hat (hat under thumb) sometimes, but only sometimes.

I think that trying out a couple own ideas for the new hats or so, could allow to set mind about the hats. As I have a hypothesis that the cause for these feelings is the width of the hats, that they are narrower in shape, and so on as well "deeper" so the thumb doesn't get "center" of the hat for horizontal movement as it does for vertical movement.

It is just funny how one can have different opinions split in 80/20 manner where mostly you like what you have, but then you have slight wish to try something else.
I am not sure I would like anything "sharper" as "tactile friction" as example in CH Fighterstick the TMS and DMS hats are "too edgy" and actually hurt fingers that MCG doesn't do. But then again you get better "feeling" that what you are handling by their size.
And by that experience I am hesitant to actually have any "sharper" or "more edgy" hats. Maybe those real ones work great when you have gloves in your hands, but I don't want to do that! Maybe if I would have a VR gloves I would like them more, but comparing to CH and Thrustmaster I really prefer the MCG more.
I would like to try the competitor, Virpil - Constallation Alpha I hats as their shapes could be nice compromise. I just don't know.

So if I could 3D print own and try out all kind own ideas, or we could share the designs, it could help some users....

krixx

Postby krixx » Sat Jul 29, 2023 21:39

I wasnt the A3 castle hat from the VKB NXT to replace the PC hat on my MCG. That PC switch is dreadful and I use it all the time!

Return to “General discussions”