firmware - which file for MKII Gladiator

Moderator: AdminGroup

PonyXpress

firmware - which file for MKII Gladiator

Postby PonyXpress » Fri Mar 20, 2020 0:24

I watched the video on how to flash / upgrade the firmware to v1_98_6. I have the MKII Gladiator. I do not know if it is the Pro version or not. In the video, is says if you have the Gladiator MKII, select file _Gladiator_v1_98_6.vkb. The video then says the same exact thing, if you have the MKII, select file _Gladiator_Pro_v1_98_6.vkb. I even suggests a couple more files.

Does it matter which fw file I selected? I ended up using _Gladiator_v1_98_6.vkb file and it seems to have worked fine. That said, in the Info tab, it says I have the Pro. It also shows VKB NJoy32 PRO under the Action tab. How can I confirm which one I have and should I go back and re-flash using the _Gladiator_Pro_v1_98_6.vkb file?

In How to Calibrate video, I get to the part where it says to select t he Test / Axis tab, and move the joystick around. All of that works fine, but then it says to hit the POV HAT for Rot Y and Rot Z analog joystick. I'm not sure how to do that. I've hit all buttons including the HAT switch at the top, but the Rot Y and Rot Z axis do not move.

Thanks!

fallout9

Re: firmware - which file for MKII Gladiator

Postby fallout9 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:52

Gladiator Pro has been out of production for a while now, so if you got your Gladiator recently then it's a Gladiator MKII. The difference between the two devices is that the Pro version has metal cams and swappable grips and the Gladiator MKII has plastic cams and fixed KG12 grip. The video mentions exactly what firmware to flash for the Gladiator MKII: _Gladiator_v1_98_6.vkb (the part about flashing the Pro version or MCG version on the Gladiator was just a joke).
I'm not too sure how you got to get your device recognized as a Pro though, so I would suggest to post some pictures of the device and screenshots of the configurator.

About the calibration part - the video has been made using a different grip as an example; that grip comes with a ministick that has to be calibrated. Your device (if it's a Gladiator MKII) has only 4 axes: X (Roll/ Yaw), Y (pitch), Z (twist) and the throttle - all these 4 axes have to get calibrated in order to work properly. There's no ministick on the Gladiator MKII, that's only a 4 way HAT that doesn't need to get calibrated.

PonyXpress

Postby PonyXpress » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:55

thank you, very helpful. I purchased this 11/2017 from X-Plane.org. it looks like they are still selling it, https://store.x-plane.org/Gladiator-MK-II_p_595.html

While I've had this joystick for a while, I haven't had much time to fly. I've only done the fw update once before, but it was too long ago that I don't recall if it was the same process as now. Perhaps I grabbed the wrong fw file last time, and flashed it with the Pro by mistake.

Based on when I purchased this, does it sound like the fw file _Gladiator_v1_98_6.vkb was correct?

I added some screenshots of the VKBDevCfg-C

If I did screw this up, maybe I need to remove the bottom cover and do a hard reset and start over?

Thanks!
Attachments
MKII config info.JPG
MKII config.JPG
Capture.JPG

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:08

You didn't screwed up anything, it is indeed a Gladiator MKII flashed with the proper firmware. Just calibrate it and it's good to go (don't forget the throttle).
About the other issue with the screensaver, have you tried to change the USB port?

PonyXpress

Postby PonyXpress » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:14

Cool, thanks.

Yes, tried 3 different usb ports, same result. If leave the joystick plugged in, no screensaver, even after hours. If I unplug it, works perfect.

Grumpy@72

Postby Grumpy@72 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 15:29

I also have the Gladiator Mk11 but cannot find the firware version MKII: _Gladiator_v1_98_6.vkb mentioned above listed in the index. Can someone confirm the version I need to use.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 16:54

The MKII label in the firmware names refers only to the Black Boxes. The Gladiator MKII doesn't use a Black Box, so that's the right firmware for it - _Gladiator_v1_98_6.vkb.

akitoinakazu

Postby akitoinakazu » Wed Apr 29, 2020 23:23

I actually have the same issue with the USB & screen saver. My machine is almost a clean load of Win10 1909.

It's actually an issue with both my TWCS throttle and the Gladiator stick. Based on two different devices I beleive it's a Windows bug. I have both plugged into different ports either direct to the MB or on a USB hub. I have just resorted to getting a USB hub that is switched. Will turn off the individual ports when not using the joystick/throttle so my screensaver will work.

Sokol1

Postby Sokol1 » Sun May 03, 2020 20:15

Turn off "USB power saver "for the USB port used by Gladiator, and if use to unplug and plug the joystick daily, always use the same USB port.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqeXGMl5jYc

PonyXpress

Postby PonyXpress » Mon May 04, 2020 6:01

good luck. That didn't help for me. I still have to unplug the joystick.

Roadtrip

Postby Roadtrip » Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:48

Just updated the firmware on my Gladiator MKII to v2.090 from v1.99.12 and now the yaw function is not recognized. Everything else is as it should be. I have had this controller for about a year and updated the firmware when I got it with no issues. Now, I had to take a wild guess as to which file to choose as the list of different Gladiator files is so confusing. I'm simply looking for, "Gladiator MKII" but it isn't on the list like that. Trial by error, hit and miss, hoping the firmware file I just loaded wouldn't make my controller useless. At first, I was relieved, thinking I finally found the correct file. Apparently not, I really don't know. The only product information ID that came on my controller is a lengthy serial number. Nothing in the documentation that came with it tells me what model it is, other than VKB Gladiator MKII. Period! Can someone please relieve my frustration and break this down to "layman"s terms?" I just want to know how to choose the correct file that is my Gladiator MKII controller and why my yaw function is no longer recognized. Could it be that my controller is not supported anymore? My apologies for the rant, but this is crazy as it should be so simple.

Roadtrip

Postby Roadtrip » Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:54

fallout9 wrote:Gladiator Pro has been out of production for a while now, so if you got your Gladiator recently then it's a Gladiator MKII. The difference between the two devices is that the Pro version has metal cams and swappable grips and the Gladiator MKII has plastic cams and fixed KG12 grip. The video mentions exactly what firmware to flash for the Gladiator MKII: _Gladiator_v1_98_6.vkb (the part about flashing the Pro version or MCG version on the Gladiator was just a joke).
I'm not too sure how you got to get your device recognized as a Pro though, so I would suggest to post some pictures of the device and screenshots of the configurator.

About the calibration part - the video has been made using a different grip as an example; that grip comes with a ministick that has to be calibrated. Your device (if it's a Gladiator MKII) has only 4 axes: X (Roll/ Yaw), Y (pitch), Z (twist) and the throttle - all these 4 axes have to get calibrated in order to work properly. There's no ministick on the Gladiator MKII, that's only a 4 way HAT that doesn't need to get calibrated.

Just curious, but what do you mean when you said, "(the part about flashing the Pro version or MCG version on the Gladiator was just a joke?)

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:12

There was a joke in the original video.
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-12-12 231123.png

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:17

Roadtrip wrote:I just want to know how to choose the correct file that is my Gladiator MKII controller and why my yaw function is no longer recognized. Could it be that my controller is not supported anymore? My apologies for the rant, but this is crazy as it should be so simple.

You joystick is still supported. If you have a Gladiator MKII (not a Pro, not a K), then the file that you have to flash is _Gladiator_KG12_v2_09_0.vkb. After successfully flashing it, press the Default button under the Tools tab (don't skip this step) and calibrate (don't skip this either :)).

Roadtrip

Postby Roadtrip » Mon Dec 13, 2021 13:37

Well thank you fallout9, sir! You made my day. I just wish that VKB would have had the foresight to explain what you just did for me in some side notes, or something. I did what you said to do and in 5 minutes I accomplished what has taken me hours to try to figure out. Easy Peasy!! Merry Christmas to you and all of yours!

Return to “General discussions”