F14 grip center stick offset angle?

Moderator: AdminGroup

DinoMight

F14 grip center stick offset angle?

Postby DinoMight » Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:32

89265419_2508133215957201_76883436471582720_o.jpg
F14 grip on top, MCG on bottom. See alignment pin hole vs arc.

Just got the F14 grip tonight. The alignment hole in the bottom does not allow one to cant the grip at an offset angle for center mounting, as you can in the MCG Pro.

Am I missing how to adjust a cant angle to the grip or is it not possible with this grip?

fallout9

Re: F14 grip center stick offset angle?

Postby fallout9 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 22:10

You're not missing anything, they're just different devices.

DinoMight

Postby DinoMight » Fri Mar 06, 2020 22:33

So, what I am hearing is, "no you cant cant the stick for center mount."

Should I have known, not ever having a twist grip, that this could not be done?

I'm now contemplating drilling an adjacent mounting hole myself. Otherwise, this grip is useless to me.

rrohde

Postby rrohde » Fri Mar 06, 2020 22:51

Have you tried if the hole marked can be unplugged? Looks like something that could do the trick.

EDIT: I haven't received my F-14 grip yet, so I am curious about this as well for center mounting.
VKB North America
https://VKBcontrollers.com

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 22:59

... or you could use an extension, they have a similar bottom connector as MCG Pro's.

rrohde

Postby rrohde » Fri Mar 06, 2020 23:03

True that. You can rotate the extension as needed as well. Same is true for the 200mm or 100mm versions. Good call.
VKB North America
https://VKBcontrollers.com

DinoMight

Postby DinoMight » Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:03

I've got a 200mm curved. Problem with rotating that is it will offset the position of the stick. Only option for me would be to buy a 100mm straight extension.

Leaves me frustrated having to spend more money on this project. Given the cost of the grip alone, I feel like this is pretty lackluster.

This replica grip is designed specifically so that it cannot be used in a replica configuration without additional modification? Furthermore, it was not made clear that the configuration limitations would be different from other grips. I have the MCG pro and assumed this grip could mount the same way (with the cant) as that one.

The design limitation shouldn't even be there in the first place, but not making this design limitation apparent to purchasers is unsatisfactory. I have been told it is not possible to offer the arced alignment slot because of the twist grip. Why, then, didnt they make a twist grip adapter for those that wanted that feature, or make the twist adapter removable so canted mounting would be possible, or even an additional offset angle adapter if neither of those first two options are desired? Now I have to go buy the 100mm curved extension, cannibalize the connectors and wire, and make my own cut down adapter? Not pleased...

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:20

The F-14 has never been advertised as having an adjustable position though - it's been assumed that it could be adjusted from extension if someone wants to use it in central position. For side position there's no need for angle adjustment.
The twist is also needed as not everyone uses pedals - there are disabled people and also space simmers or even pilots who would rather twist than use pedals.
The F-14 is still very young on the market, I would suggest to wait a bit and see what other users have to say about it - if vox populi will demand it and VKB being a good listener they'll will develop and release an update to the connector.

DinoMight

Postby DinoMight » Tue Mar 10, 2020 14:47

Well, I guess I am drilling mine. If I can't offset for the curved mount, it is junk to me.

A replica grip not to be useful in a replica configuration seems asinine to me.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 18:41

Can I suggest to have a bit of patience with this? VKB is trying to find something that would work for you. Not promising anything, but just wait a bit.

VirusAM

Postby VirusAM » Fri May 15, 2020 17:10

Damn it...i just discovered this at my expense.
I didn't know it didn't allow offset mount, all vkb grips do so i assumed.
I hope this is not due to the yaw axis, which i don't need having rudder pedals.
Is there a solution for this?
I cannot use extensions as it would hit my desk unfortunately.

Milou

Postby Milou » Thu May 21, 2020 11:33

Yeah, I am not disabled and I do own a dedicated rudder. But I do want to centre mount my stick. If the Z-axis design means no offset grip adjustment then that is a poor compromise for the majority of people that are not disabled. This is like a building with only a disabled ramp entrance and no stairs that makes everyone travel all the way to the right and all the way left again up a ramp when they could have traveled in a straight line.

Johnny

Postby Johnny » Wed Nov 18, 2020 19:01

I don’t really buy into the vox populi thing. In this poll (https://forums.eagle.ru/forum/english/d ... ost5411905) by a VKB representative, only 20% asked for twist capability. Neither was the lack of offset capability mentioned as a negative, only increased price, with the inclusion of twist, which the first answerer was quick to address. I don’t understand this. The F-14 grip is a niche product within a niche segment and yet you try to please space simmers and casual simmers without rudders when the target is actually hardcore simmers with a special interest in the F-14 with full setups.

I was two seconds away from pulling the trigger on the F-14 grip. Glad I found this post last second since no offset capability is a dealbreaker for me. I do hope this vox populi thing will work retrospectively though since I otherwise believe you’re making great stuff!

Any updates on the March 10 call for patience? Would it be possible to order the grip with the standard MCG fastener/connector?

cmerkt19

Postby cmerkt19 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:38

Yes I agree I was just seconds away from buying this too I'm glad I read the forums before I did. Not being able to angle this grip with my center 200mm ext. mount is a deal breaker for me. Hopefully they'll offer a non-twist version that will allow angling soon.

nobuttons

Postby nobuttons » Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:19

Johnny wrote:I was two seconds away from pulling the trigger on the F-14 grip. Glad I found this post last second since no offset capability is a dealbreaker for me. I do hope this vox populi thing will work retrospectively though since I otherwise believe you’re making great stuff!

Any updates on the March 10 call for patience? Would it be possible to order the grip with the standard MCG fastener/connector?

OMG I am in literally the exact same situation! I was just about to 'pull the trigger' to place an order tonight and I thought I would double check and now I am deeply disappointed.

I can't for the life of me imagine why VKB would design and sell a specific replica stick that is supposed to be angled, and not support that accurately? Not everyone with a center mount stick has room for the extensions in their setup.

I was very satisfied with my Gunfighter base, but my recent F-14 addiction means unless VKB has a fix or upgrade soon I'm now going to have to sell my VKB grip and base and buy into "that other manufacturer" that has an "V.F.X." grip with angle adjustability. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Return to “General discussions”