SCG vs MCG

Moderator: AdminGroup

atlau

SCG vs MCG

Postby atlau » Sun Feb 16, 2020 0:57

I think I'm gonna jump on the gunfighter 3 wagon. Trying to choose between the mcg and the scg for airplane sims. The SCG seems a bit less expensive and with twist. Any real disadvantage to it? It comes with different cams just like the mcg right?

fallout9

Re: SCG vs MCG

Postby fallout9 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:04

Both MCG Pro and SCG Premium are coming with the same base, the GunFighter MKIII. Base has the same set of cams and springs for both grips.
MCG Pro has 5 analogue axes, SCG P only 2;
MCG Pro has 5 HATS (2 of them ministicks), SCG P has 4 HATS (1 ministick);
MCG Pro has a foldable secondary trigger, SCG P has a fixed secondary trigger;
MCG Pro has a brake lever, SCG P doesn't;
MCG Pro has 4 independent buttons, SCG P has 3;
MCG Pro come with optional twist, SCG P has a twist included;
MCG Pro is taller with the arm rest farther from the base, SCG P is shorter with the arm rest closer to the base.

Strictly personal opinion - MCG Pro is more suitable for airplanes, SCG P is more effective in space sims.

atlau

Postby atlau » Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:08

A good quality gimbal is what I really want right now and they so the base being the same, they both seem to meet that requirement. I don't need a ton of buttons and they both seem to have enough.

Is the longer stick of the mcg why you prefer it for aviation sims?

I've also read that the scg is slightly better for people with smaller hands.
Last edited by atlau on Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:48, edited 1 time in total.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:25

Yes, I favor the MCG Pro for flying planes and the SCG P for piloting ships. But again, it's just a personal preference based on the fact that in space sims you jerk more at the grip and you need to get from one end of the axis range to the other faster than when flying a plane.

atlau

Postby atlau » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:53

Right now the SCG pro is out of stock so looking at the regular SCG. Am I right to understand that the mini stick is replaced with a regular button and there is no additional trigger?

And the POV switches are still 8 way correct? Thanks!

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:28

Here are the features of each model: https://vkbcontrollers.com/?product=scg ... tand-alone
The Hats on the regular version are 4 way with center button (the only 8 ways are the ministicks).

Drano

Postby Drano » Tue Feb 18, 2020 17:16

atlau wrote:I think I'm gonna jump on the gunfighter 3 wagon. Trying to choose between the mcg and the scg for airplane sims. The SCG seems a bit less expensive and with twist. Any real disadvantage to it? It comes with different cams just like the mcg right?

Atlau, I've had my GFMk1/MCG-PRO for over a year now and it's hands down the best stick I've ever had and likely the last I'll have to buy at least insofar as the gimbal goes. Eventually they might come out with another grip I like and the good news is I can just plug it onto the base and I'm off. The gimbal is all metal with swappable cams, springs and extensions so you can truely make it your own. All magnetic sensors too so no pots to clean or wear out. Butter smooth. Can't say about the SCG grip but my MCG-Pro grip has all the buttons, hats, axii and triggers you could want for a flying sim. The 8-way hat can be changed to a pair of axii with a long press of the center. I have that set up for aileron and elevator trim. Quick press centers them and another long press flips it back to a standard hat. Very handy feature.

Everything is hyper configurable in the software which is frankly pretty hard to grasp. But once you get the hang of it it's not that bad.
Gunfighter MkI w/MkIII update + MCG-Pro Grip
Avia S Cams
2x #30A Springs
FW:v2.13F
Devconfig: v92.78
Zbootloader: v2.01

Asus Strix X570-E Gaming
Ryzen9 5800X3D
Asus Strix 3080 12GB
32GB Corsair Vengeance PC3600
EVGA G6 1000W
Reverb G2V2