Center detent cam with no centering force

Moderator: AdminGroup

Kaboodles

Center detent cam with no centering force

Postby Kaboodles » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:34

I'm using a Gunfighter MKIII with a Kosmosima L grip as a throttle in a HOSAS setup, with the pitch cam and spring removed and the dry clutch tightened all the way.

However, I also wanted a center detent on the pitch axis. Using the provided Space-H doesn't work, as the dry clutch can't overcome even a #10 spring, and rubber bands don't provide enough force to allow the center detent to be felt.

After much trial and error, I used thermoplastic modeling compound to make a cam that provides a center detent without a centering force.

Because I basically smushed this thing into shape by hand, it is by no means perfect. The detent isn't quite as pronounced as the H cams are. There's a slight centering force near the center that can only be halted by tightening the dry clutch. The boot very slightly pushes the stick away from the extremes, requiring a slight deadzone at the edges, and the lack of precision on the center detent demands a center deadzone as well.

Despite these issues, the cam works pretty well. However, I think it would work even better if it were designed by a professional engineer and made of aluminum. :wink:

Return to “General discussions”