Mk.III chipped PCB corner - safe to install?

Moderator: AdminGroup

picchio

Mk.III chipped PCB corner - safe to install?

Postby picchio » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:24

Guys,
I'd like to request assistance as I've received the Mk.III electronics upgrade kit: however, the upper right corner of the PCB is chipped away, near the mounting hole.
I couldn't find the missing piece inside the plastic bag or nowhere inside the whole package, and I will contact Support in case it's needed.
In the meantime, I'd like to ask if you consider it safe to install; that mounting hole wouldn't be used anyway but I am concerned about the condition of the PCB.
Thank you for any useful input.
20200114_231353.jpg

rtrski

Re: Mk.III chipped PCB corner - safe to install?

Postby rtrski » Wed Jan 15, 2020 16:05

Mine was like that too.

There's no traces up there, and no screw needs to go thru that hole. I installed and had zero issues. The rest of the board is undoubtedly fine - you'd see an obvious crease line if the whole board had been deformed or slashed enough to damage traces, and your external components look in good condition.

I almost wonder if that's intentionally "clipped off" after manufacturing, like they realized there was some tiny possibility of interference with gimbal movement and just took snips to it rather than re-lay-out and re-manufacture them all. ;-)
RH VKB GF Mk III + Modern Combat Grip *ULTIMATE* (12/17 GFII , upgraded), _powered_ deploy!
LH VKB GF Mk III + Kosmosima Prem (02/19 GFII, upgraded), *lateral* mounted
Feet: Slaw Viper RX Pedals [Sorry, VKB, too gorgeous]

WWCraven

Postby WWCraven » Wed May 27, 2020 8:23

Just received my upgrade kit today and my board is clipped in the same fashion, installed with no issues.

nneeee

Postby nneeee » Thu May 28, 2020 13:37

I've got 2 upgrade kits and both PCBs were like that too.

No issues with the install (mk.1 to mk.3) other than one of the screws for the PCB bumping into the top plate when installed. I just omitted it.

Return to “General discussions”