Additional mounting for third party gear?

Moderator: AdminGroup

OldeRogue

Additional mounting for third party gear?

Postby OldeRogue » Wed Jan 08, 2020 20:59

Hey Guys! Loving the look and options of your mounting kit. I've got your VKB pedals and I really enjoy them. Unfortunately, I have a Virpil stick/base and a Ch Throttle. Are there any future plans to offer mounting options for third party sticks? I would totally buy the Pilot C package if I could mount my stick!!

AeroGator

Re: Additional mounting for third party gear?

Postby AeroGator » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:26

OldeRogue wrote:Unfortunately, I have a Virpil stick/base
My heart is full of pain and sorrow.. I pity you! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
We're open to suggestions. If VPC provide us samples of their devices, we would consider integrating them in our design - it won't be too difficult. However they are keeping silence, and we dare not bother them.
This said, in fact it's quite doable by the user, I believe. If you have a good drill at hand, or a drill press (even better) - consider it already done... A few holes... 10 minutes including cleaning up. Seriously. There is nothing to damage, it is all just metal.
Best Regards,
AeroGator

OldeRogue

Postby OldeRogue » Thu Jan 09, 2020 17:56

Maybe the below thread or attached image will help you get something configured? I'm probably the worst person to attempt *any* kind of modification/fabrication project. My brain is just not good that way. :oops:

Here's the thread:
https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/35 ... ent-594170

Image also attached.
Attachments
VPC_MT-50_UBRACKET_02.jpg

Drano

Postby Drano » Thu Jan 09, 2020 18:52

I've had a floor stand made up for my stick for many years. Before I had the GF I had a CH Fighterstick and had a friend make up a thin aluminum box the CH base would fit into. That sat on the base that consisted of a 12" steel flange tapped for 2" pipe, about 24" of pipe with a reducer to 1", a 1" nipple and a 1" floor flange. Screwed the box to the floor flange and it's been rock solid. Got a fair amount of weight to it, almost all of which is in the big flange at the base, so it's not going anywhere!

I get the Gunfighter. Base is way big. I have an L shaped desk so desk mounting it is right out. Hmm. Thought I'd get the small base but that wasn't the answer either. So I got a piece of 1/4" steel plate and made my own. (BTW I got all my material in the scrap pile at work!) I cut the plate to fit into the aluminum box. Copied the GF base dimensions for the mounting holes to the plate. Drilled the holes and countersunk them. Got some screws at the hardware store and mounted the gunfighter to my homebuilt base, stuck it in the homebuilt stand and there she sits.

While some of my stand construction is a bit involved for a non-plumber with having to cut and thread larger pipe, the base isn't that hard. A piece of plate steel would be available in any hardware store. Aluminum would be cheap and easier to cut and drill. If you can read a ruler and have basic skills with a saw and drill you can pull it off easy.
Gunfighter MkI w/MkIII update + MCG-Pro Grip
Avia S Cams
2x #30A Springs
FW:v2.13F
Devconfig: v92.78
Zbootloader: v2.01

Asus Strix X570-E Gaming
Ryzen9 5800X3D
Asus Strix 3080 12GB
32GB Corsair Vengeance PC3600
EVGA G6 1000W
Reverb G2V2
Win10/64

AeroGator

Postby AeroGator » Mon Jan 13, 2020 17:07

OldeRogue wrote::oops:

Seriously, I would really like to help, but let's be realistic, I have never had any VPC product in my hand, no idea how their parts are fixed to each other, etc. Designing a modification that would make our products compatible with some other manufacturer's would take time that our engineers would rather invest in our own goods. You know, if I had VPC's sample in my personal use, and a mounting system from another brand, I would fumble it and try fitting it this sample to the mount this way and that way groping for some way that would feel OK, and finally I'd find it. Then - as I said above, drill, screws, bang! - done.
This, again, what I would do for personal use, with not much care for how it would look, and how technologically optimized it would be for mass production.
As a company however we need to think about technology and looks.
So I have to apologize here, I'm of no help :(
Best Regards,
AeroGator

OldeRogue

Postby OldeRogue » Mon Jan 13, 2020 18:12

I understand, and thank you for the replies on the subject. Cheers!

rrohde

Postby rrohde » Mon Jan 13, 2020 20:20

This reminds me of my old Obutto Ozone flightsim rig, where I wanted to mount my Gunfighter Mk.I onto Obutto's very generic center-mounting plate. I even hired a welder to cut the tubing shorter, re-weld the plate onto the shorter tube, and then drill holes to match the Gunfighter's small base plate.... fun times. :)
VKB North America
https://VKBcontrollers.com

Return to “General discussions”