Gunfighter Mk.III quickstart guide?

Moderator: AdminGroup

faybs

Gunfighter Mk.III quickstart guide?

Postby faybs » Sun Dec 22, 2019 23:34

My GF Mk.III is due to arrive very soon, so I checked in the downloads section to see if the new quickstart guide is up yet. Unfortunately it seems not to be the case - the current PDF is for the Mk.II. Are the two bases similar enough that I can just figure out the differences for how to loosen the clutches when I unbox it (this is my very first gunfighter, so my experience level is zero), or should I wait until a new PDF gets uploaded?

Thanks!

fallout9

Re: Gunfighter Mk.III quickstart guide?

Postby fallout9 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 0:15

Install the base on the desk plate, take the top plate out together with the dust cover, install your grip, play with it while adjusting the dry clutches until you'll like the dampening grade, take the stick out, put back the top cover, install your grip and calibrate.

rrohde

Postby rrohde » Tue Dec 24, 2019 20:21

faybs wrote:My GF Mk.III is due to arrive very soon, so I checked in the downloads section to see if the new quickstart guide is up yet. Unfortunately it seems not to be the case - the current PDF is for the Mk.II. Are the two bases similar enough that I can just figure out the differences for how to loosen the clutches when I unbox it (this is my very first gunfighter, so my experience level is zero), or should I wait until a new PDF gets uploaded?

Thanks!

The current PDF available at VKBcontrollers.com is mentioning the GF Mk.II, but it was based on the GF Mk.I write up; now the GF Mk.III is out and the guide is still applicable for most required actions (incl. calibration). Minor cosmetic details may be off, but that's okay. Once VKB sends me a GF Mk.III, I will update the guide accordingly.
VKB North America
https://VKBcontrollers.com

atlau

Postby atlau » Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:13

The quick start guide in the box makes no mention of adjusting the clutch dampers..is that not required in the GF3? I just put mine together and it seems to return to center normally (I did not do anything to the dampers)

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:02

There are a few factors affecting the grip properly returning to the center: cams, springs, dry clutches. Hard centering cams and hard springs could override the tightened dry clutches and the grip could have a proper return. Open the base at the bottom and check how tightened the dry clutches are. And then open the top of the base and experiment a bit with the dry clutches. It's a very unique and extremely useful option of the GunFighter base and it'd be a shame to miss it. See what state of it fits you better, tightened or loose.

Drano

Postby Drano » Fri Feb 28, 2020 17:06

If you get a new rig with a new gimbal, as I understand it, you'll HAVE TO loosen the dampers as they're set at least snug for shipping to avoid damage. This is how mine arrived anyway. If you haven't messed with them at all and you're not centering or the stick feels a bit sticky this is likely the problem. Play around with the tightness of the dampers to your preference. If that isn't getting it for you the good news is you can change either the springs or cams to truely make the action just as you like.

FWIW I have my dampers fully open and just have the springs and cams doing the job.
Gunfighter MkI w/MkIII update + MCG-Pro Grip
Avia S Cams
2x #30A Springs
FW:v2.13F
Devconfig: v92.78
Zbootloader: v2.01

Asus Strix X570-E Gaming
Ryzen9 5800X3D
Asus Strix 3080 12GB
32GB Corsair Vengeance PC3600
EVGA G6 1000W
Reverb G2V2
Win10/64

atlau

Postby atlau » Fri Feb 28, 2020 20:53

That's the thing..I was expecting it to require loosening the clutch damper but there was no instruction to do so and it appears to work normally as it is so it has me wondering if the GF3 changed.

To adjust the dampers can you access it completely by removing the base plate or do you need to take the gimbal assembly out completely?

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 22:26

To adjust the dampers you have to take the grip off, remove the 4 screws attaching the top plate and dust cover to the case, remove the top plate and dust cover, put the grip back on the base and start adjusting the dampers, which are 2 screws controlling the X and Y axes.
Here's a video about it: https://youtu.be/dc8LZyThYs0?t=876. It's a GunFighter MKII with different top plate and dust cover, but the principle is the same.

Also here's a picture showing where exactly those adjustment screws are (each is beside the white nylon pads):
Attachments
Capture.JPG

Drano

Postby Drano » Fri Feb 28, 2020 22:48

Unless you have an original GF Mark 1 with a custom base plate I made up. It has holes in it to easily access the adjuster nuts that face downward on that model. Taking the stick apart is for losers! :lol:

I'm a lazy man searching for an easier way! 8)
Gunfighter MkI w/MkIII update + MCG-Pro Grip
Avia S Cams
2x #30A Springs
FW:v2.13F
Devconfig: v92.78
Zbootloader: v2.01

Asus Strix X570-E Gaming
Ryzen9 5800X3D
Asus Strix 3080 12GB
32GB Corsair Vengeance PC3600
EVGA G6 1000W
Reverb G2V2
Win10/64

atlau

Postby atlau » Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:13

Ha well in my case they weren't actually factory tightened down so that's what caused my confusion. Swapped out the springs with the 30s to see if I like that feel better

revan

Postby revan » Thu Mar 05, 2020 0:24

I didn't loosen or tighten anything, set the Mk III up and went to flying in DCS after fooling around in the VKB software. Works great.

Kaarno

Postby Kaarno » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:56

rrohde wrote:
faybs wrote:My GF Mk.III is due to arrive very soon, so I checked in the downloads section to see if the new quickstart guide is up yet. Unfortunately it seems not to be the case - the current PDF is for the Mk.II. ...

The current PDF available at VKBcontrollers.com is mentioning the GF Mk.II... Once VKB sends me a GF Mk.III, I will update the guide accordingly.

Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but was wondering if the updated guide is out. FWIW I did a search and had a look around the site before posting this.
Also...I am excitedly awaiting delivery of my RH SCGprm GF3 and then I got crazy and ordered a LH as well! So I am in learn mode...hungry for as much info as I can find.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:53

You only need this (no need to re-flash a brand new stick though, only the calibration part) and this (personal advice - don't open them up as soon as you get them; give yourself some time with the joysticks so when the moment come to replace cams, change springs or adjust dampers you'd know exactly what you're after).

Kaarno

Postby Kaarno » Tue Oct 20, 2020 23:45

Thanks for that. All the videos made it seem as though everyone went straight to engineer mode when they received their joysticks out of necessity. I will be pleased to get a little familiar with the default settings and then have an opportunity to begin changing things up.

Return to “General discussions”